Marriott and AAdvantage Partnership Ends June 30, 2010

Old Apr 30, 10, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Marriott and AAdvantage Partnership Ends June 30, 2010

Just received an email from AA.

We would like to provide you with an important update to the American Airlines AAdvantage® program. Effective July 1, 2010, the Marriott Rewards program will no longer offer AAdvantage miles for stays at Marriott hotels.

All qualifying stays at participating properties completed by June 30, 2010 will be eligible to earn AAdvantage miles. It is also important to note the final date to convert your Marriott Rewards points to AAdvantage miles will be June 30, 2010.
Glad I got my LT Plat. Marriott TPs were a crucial factor in doing so.
Old Apr 30, 10, 11:36 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.05MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Starwood, a bit of Continental, a bit of this and that
We received the same e-mail. No big deal since we're (still) mostly staying in double-dip Hiltons, but I was wondering what might be behind this unusual step. I say unusual because it appears that M. is the only chain to do so and it is only AA.
Old Apr 30, 10, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM/lifetime Admirals Club, UA lifetime United Club, DL lifetime Sky Club, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Everyone,

If you're disappointed (as I am...MAD, in fact), write to American Airlines and Marriott. Tell them both that this earning/redemption program is important.

http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewAadv...eFormAccess.do

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/customer-support.mi
Old Apr 30, 10, 11:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM; UA Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
Just received an email from AA.

Glad I got my LT Plat. Marriott TPs were a crucial factor in doing so.

... --- I was banking on this relationship to get LT Plat on AA....so who do I drop from this little relationship....looks like I am headed over to SPG.
Old Apr 30, 10, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tedward View Post
Everyone,

If you're disappointed (as I am...MAD, in fact), write to American Airlines and Marriott. Tell them both that this earning/redemption program is important.

http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewAadv...eFormAccess.do

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/customer-support.mi
Thank you for the easy links, comments submitted to both programs.
Old Apr 30, 10, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM/lifetime Admirals Club, UA lifetime United Club, DL lifetime Sky Club, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamflyer View Post
... --- I was banking on this relationship to get LT Plat....so who do I drop from this little relationship....looks like I am headed over to SPG.....
Me too. It got me to LT Gold.

It seems that every day, I wake up to new news about how American is squeezing its customers for just a little more. This is a huge slap in the face to me, and now I'm considering the merits of even pursuing LT Plat.
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sica4 View Post
+1^
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by sica4 View Post
Ditto. This was a good idea. Might as well try.

Of course it's unlikely to matter to the faceless bureaucrats who make these decisions. So I'm ruefully making plans to spend a lot more time at the Hyatt in the future. Marriott first gained my loyalty with its (stateside) non-smoking policy. I'm sorry to have to dump them.
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Hillton Gold, Marriot Silver, United 2P
The email also mentions an end to being able to transfer Marriot points into miles. What is the current conversion ratio?
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:18 pm

Thank you, sica4, cynstalker, and KtownTraveler.

I wonder if the "faceless bureaucrats" who made this decision were on the AA side, given that they're the only airline (at least that I know of) with this change.
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by braddev View Post
The email also mentions an end to being able to transfer Marriot points into miles. What is the current conversion ratio?
That depends on how many you're converting. The best conversion ratio is 125,000 points to 50,000 AA miles, or 2.5:1.
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by tedward View Post
Thank you, sica4, cynstalker, and KtownTraveler.

I wonder if the "faceless bureaucrats" who made this decision were on the AA side, given that they're the only airline (at least that I know of) with this change.
Why would AA want to stop selling miles to Marriott?
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
My travel is down this year - good and bad. I will start evaluating all programs - air, car, hotel - now. Maybe this is their response to the UA/CO merger?

I have stayed at many Marriott properties where the AA crew stays. I somehow doubt that contract is still in place after June 30.

Maybe for the few stays I have coming up, I just bank the Marriott Rewards points and wait for the the two sides to agree again. I cant imagine there are too many times major partners like this are not together for long.

Since I received the Marriott email first, I started the discussion over there http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ye-aa-why.html
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Seems unlikely. Maybe they just upped the price.
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
A theory floated on the Marriott thread is that AA raised its rates and Marriott said no.

If it were a decision made on the Marriott side, wouldn't it affect more than just one airline?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: