Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Obsolete posts re: ZRH lounge access - Archival thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

This is the archival thread with obsolete posts that do not accurately reflect current lounge access for American Airlines flyers departing Zurich. Please do not post in this thread.

Current information on the Zurich / ZRH American Airlines / oneworld lounge can be found here: ZRH / Zurich AA / oneworld Lounge (consolidated)
Updated 14 Jun 2013.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Obsolete posts re: ZRH lounge access - Archival thread

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 10:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Have you tried the lounge search page here:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/lounge-access/search

Looks like AA doesn't have an AC there but there are 3 Oneworld lounges.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Before LX was purchased by LH, AA had a one-on-one codeshare deal with LX that included access to some LX lounges for certain AA pax. There was even conjecture that LX might join oneWorld, but of course that never happened.

Since LX became part of the * Alliance, AFAIK, those past lounge procedures went away.

The thread linked below offers some information from 2008 (I haven't been through ZRH in about 3 years, and I was on an LX J ticket, so my experience wouldn't be pertinent):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-access.html

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 17, 2010 at 1:05 pm Reason: change link to obsolete posts thread
Old May 16, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Thanks Non-Non Rev. That was the most informative of the posts I had seen. The OW lounges appear to be contract ones - so I guess I will see when I get there.
Old May 17, 2009, 3:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platnum, United, Avis President's Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I am AA platinum and I flew through Zurich in April. The terminal (Terminal E) is spit into 2, and one needs to clear security to go from one part of the terminal to the other, The AA flight departs from in a different section then the main lounge and the family section. Meaning that if one wants to go they in essence need to go through security twice.

This was annoying enough. What was even more annoying was getting told that the lounge with the contract with AA is in a different terminal all together, requiring an airtrain trip of 10-15min along with security at that terminal.

AA has only ONE flight from Zurich, why would they put their lounge in a different terminal?!?

Last edited by JayMatt19; May 17, 2009 at 5:55 am
Old May 17, 2009, 4:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
this moves ZRH down a few notches on my list of places AA flies to that I intend to try out, even for a weekender

last Monday spent a few hours in IB's biz class club at MAD. what a nice place! really added to the experience.
Old May 17, 2009, 4:29 am

im not sure if this helps but they told me i would not have lounge access with my amex platinum as its not officially an admirals club
Old May 17, 2009, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cmkest
im not sure if this helps but they told me i would not have lounge access with my amex platinum as its not officially an admirals club
That is completely correct. Amex platinum only works for official AC clubs. If you are at a station that utilizes "contracted" lounge service then you need to access using elite status (i.e. PLT/EXP) and of course be on an international itinerary, as defined by AA.

Regards
Old May 17, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Unless something has changed recently, AA has contracted the LH lounge in Zürich. It is airside, past passport control. It is a hefty walk since you will be using check-in 1 in the A terminal and the lounge is located all the way at the end of terminal B, near gates B22-29.

When leaving the lounge for your AA flight, another hefty walk awaits you to the train that will take you to terminal E. You will then go through security and walk some more to AA's gate.

I no longer bother with the AA lounge when departing from Zürich. The lounge itself is nice with views of the runways, but nothing special, and for me, certainly not worth the walking detours at that time of the morning.

If you must use the lounge, allow an extra 20-30 minutes in your schedule just for walking to/from the lounge.

Here is a map of the airport.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/Portal...in_1_gross.jpg
Old May 17, 2009, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by sukn
Unless something has changed recently, AA has contracted the LH lounge in Zürich. It is airside, past passport control. It is a hefty walk since you will be using check-in 1 in the A terminal and the lounge is located all the way at the end of terminal B, near gates B22-29.
Seems like the lounge in question is formally called the SWISS Non-Schengen Lounge:

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...ails&p=LH&s=CH

(Note: The detailed link may expire. If so, select "Star Gold" and "Zurich" to see the lounge details).

Because this is obviously not a oneWorld-operated facility, my guess is that AA Plats ane ExPlats traveling in Y have no access (corrections welcomed).

Last edited by Non-NonRev; May 18, 2009 at 3:21 pm Reason: Insert note re: Expiring Link
Old May 17, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Because this is obviously not a oneWorld-operated facility, my guess is that AA Plats ane ExPlats traveling in Y have no access (corrections welcomed).
Actually, not so.

http://www.americanairlines.ch/aa/in...ch_airport.jsp
Old May 17, 2009, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, not so.
^ Thank you (a pleasure to be corrected)

One further question, concerning the notation about access for arriving J passengers: Does this refer to the lounge at B22-B29, or to the Allegra Arrivals Lounge?
Old May 17, 2009, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When leaving the lounge for your AA flight, another hefty walk awaits you to the train that will take you to terminal E. You will then go through security and walk some more to AA's gate.

I no longer bother with the AA lounge when departing from Zürich. The lounge itself is nice with views of the runways, but nothing special, and for me, certainly not worth the walking detours at that time of the morning.

If you must use the lounge, allow an extra 20-30 minutes in your schedule just for walking to/from the lounge.

Here is a map of the airport.

http://www.zurich-airport.com/Portal...in_1_gross.jpg
On top of that, the lounge is shared by ALL Members of the Star Alliance, + AA. It was very crowded the morning we used it, and the offerings were very lacking - a bowl of lunchbox size apples, some pre-packaged crackers/muffins and chips, on a rather small counter where the coffee / tea facilities also located.

On the contrary, IB's lounges in MAD are very nice - we went to 2 different ones, both are spacious and lots more food items. One is decorated pettier than the other but I forgot which one is.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just returned from ZRH yesterday. The lounge used by AA is the Dnata Skyview Lounge. It is located just pass the boarding pass checkpoint in Terminal/Area 2. Once you clear BP check, turn left and go up one level. The lounge is next to the Skyteam Lounge. The Dnata Skyview Lounge is a shared lounge with everyone from Qatar to Malev (with Continental, British Airways and Iberia thrown in to boot!). Lounge Dragon is insistent on seeing your VALID frequent flyer card for admitance. As I had just regained AA PLT status from GLD, I did not have my new card - but I did have my card from 2 years ago and the name and number matched what was printed on my BP - and my BP said I was a PLT so she grudgingly agreed.

Lounge was pretty standard - a little institutional in appearance but a good number of seats. Self serve bar with a decent selection along with pre-packaged snacks (cookies, pretzels, nuts). Again, nothing fancy but free. As a friend also told me - Better than a sharp poke in the eye!

It does take about 20 minutes to get to the "E" gates from the lounge - once you go past all the shops, down two levels to passport control, on the train over to "E" then up to the pax screening area.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
It has been a while, but we found the Bellevue Lounge conveniently located and quiet. I am unsure whether they will stll allow AA elites in.
Old May 25, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
Great info here! Before reading this thread I did not know that a PLAT member traveling in international economy (in any oneworld airline) could enter any One World Lounge with one guest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.