Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Obsolete posts re: ZRH lounge access - Archival thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

This is the archival thread with obsolete posts that do not accurately reflect current lounge access for American Airlines flyers departing Zurich. Please do not post in this thread.

Current information on the Zurich / ZRH American Airlines / oneworld lounge can be found here: ZRH / Zurich AA / oneworld Lounge (consolidated)
Updated 14 Jun 2013.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I was flying in j from zrh to jfk today. The check-in agent said that I was allowed to use the lufthansa lounge, and I had no problem getting in. (It is located quite a distance from the train that takes you to the e-gates for aa departures.) I passed the swiss lounge and they said I could not use their lounge.
I assume aa has an arrangement with luft.; but was I allowed in because of j or exp-plat or both?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by nrr
I was flying in j from zrh to jfk today. The check-in agent said that I was allowed to use the lufthansa lounge, and I had no problem getting in. (It is located quite a distance from the train that takes you to the e-gates for aa departures.) I passed the swiss lounge and they said I could not use their lounge.
I assume aa has an arrangement with luft.; but was I allowed in because of j or exp-plat or both?
Others may have more information, but as I remember I have used the BA lounge quite a few times with ticketing only on AA. What I remember was that they boasted the longest attended bar in the world and that you could smoke up there! Pretty sure I did not use the Lufthansa lounge.

Swiss, of course, in not part of OW as the old Swiss Air was.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Teacher49

Neither LX or SR were ever part of OW, however, AA did have a codeshare and ffp relationship with them.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Neither LX or SR were ever part of OW, however, AA did have a codeshare and ffp relationship with them.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
In June, my dad and I got into LX lounge in ZRH as EXP with flight from US, connecting to codeshAAre on LX in economy.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
In November traveling economy as AA Plat with LX flight on to Prague the information desk at ZRH consulted her book and told me I could use the Swiss Business Lounge. Not according to Swiss. So I spent 7 hours trying to sleep in an obscure corner of the terminal, wondering why AA had no presence.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier
In August, traveling from ZRH-JFK on AA, my wife and I were told that we could go to the Swiss lounge where we were readily admitted. At the time I was AA Plat and my wife did not yet have status.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think to put all this in perspective one must remember the many changes that have happened since Swiss was an AA partner, bought out by Lufthansa / LH and became part of Star Alliance. I have used the Swiss lounges, but not recently - and Swiss has NO partnership with Aa I know of, so why would we be able to use the LX lounge? And if AA has a contract for those in J at an airport lounge not a oneworld airline's, often status alone does not get one in the door - maybe AA now has a contactual agreement with LH, but I doubt it's for status holders, only for those in actual (upgraded or purchased) J.

I may well be wrong, but we'll have to wait for more posts with RECENT experiences come along.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
I was in ZRH on Sunday and when checking in at the Business Class counter, there was a map showing you how to get to the lounge (left after passport control) and that is was indeed the Star Alliance lounge. I asked if I could go as Plat in coach and she said yes but to be sure to show Plat card. Didn't have any problems at all getting in. They recommend you leave 1 hour prior to departure which is about right as you have to walk a bit, then get on a train, then go through security, then get to gate.

For people planning trips to Zurich, I got the ZurichCARD for 17 CHF at the airport station. It includes all train/tram/bus, free Zurich river boat cruise, included the art museum with audio, and got 1/2 price for the walking tour. It's only a few CHF more than the standard 24 hour transportation card so well worth it. I thought the Frommer's web site had some good info on Zurich.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rmc1
I was in ZRH on Sunday and when checking in at the Business Class counter, there was a map showing you how to get to the lounge (left after passport control) and that is was indeed the Star Alliance lounge. I asked if I could go as Plat in coach and she said yes but to be sure to show Plat card. Didn't have any problems at all getting in.
To understand this correctly: You are an AA elite who purchased a coach fare on LX. You were able to use your AA/OW elite status to check in at the LX business class desk and gain access to the *A lounge. This seems like very liberal cross-airline elite privileges. That's great for us AA elites in ZRH, but I may have misunderstood your post.

OR, you were traveling on AA and used the business class checking (which is normal for PLAT) and then AA got you access to the *A lounge. Still great, but would make more sense.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmc1
I was in ZRH on Sunday and when checking in at the Business Class counter, there was a map showing you how to get to the lounge (left after passport control) and that is was indeed the Star Alliance lounge. I asked if I could go as Plat in coach and she said yes but to be sure to show Plat card. Didn't have any problems at all getting in. They recommend you leave 1 hour prior to departure which is about right as you have to walk a bit, then get on a train, then go through security, then get to gate.

For people planning trips to Zurich, I got the ZurichCARD for 17 CHF at the airport station. It includes all train/tram/bus, free Zurich river boat cruise, included the art museum with audio, and got 1/2 price for the walking tour. It's only a few CHF more than the standard 24 hour transportation card so well worth it. I thought the Frommer's web site had some good info on Zurich.
The ZurichCARD is good for 24 hours from the time you validate it--this could give you "extra mileage" if you time your first use. The area of useage is very large, it extends way out into the suburbs.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Teacher49
Others may have more information, but as I remember I have used the BA lounge quite a few times with ticketing only on AA. What I remember was that they boasted the longest attended bar in the world and that you could smoke up there! Pretty sure I did not use the Lufthansa lounge.

I was able to use the swiss lounge (with the long bar) on a few previous trips; but not any longer--luft. lounge is now the one available, but as I asked in my op, is it because of j, exp-plat (or both)?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by cparekh
OR, you were traveling on AA and used the business class checking (which is normal for PLAT) and then AA got you access to the *A lounge. Still great, but would make more sense.
I was travelling on AA flight as AA Plat in coach and was able to use the *A lounge.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Stopped in the Lufthansa Lounge before my ZRH-DFW flight yesterday. Took a minute to take some photos and they are HERE.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:24 am

The main lounge is on the second floor of the main terminal. Even though LX is part of *A, since AA still has code shares with LX, you can still use the lounge if you travel on an F/J ticket or if you are an EXP or PLAT. There is a sign outside the door stating that and the lounge is pretty nice. Yes, the bar is huge, it is a smoking area and it has a great view of the airport, and surrounding area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.