Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist to PURCHASE F ticket when first is sold out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by sukn
From personal experience, AA does seem to have some mechanism in place to validate inventory in the F cabin.

There was an instance when I have had an F reservation that wasn't yet ticketed. I got a call from AA asking if I intended to purchase it since they needed the inventory if I wasn't going to use the reservation.
Thats happened to me several times. Each time they called I would go ahead and purchase ticket.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I am impressed by this thread... it's like a new world opening up for me. I would not have dreamed of going through all this trouble to be able to PAY to get into F. But then again, my employer would not dream of paying for it either .
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dukieee
I am impressed by this thread... it's like a new world opening up for me. I would not have dreamed of going through all this trouble to be able to PAY to get into F. But then again, my employer would not dream of paying for it either .
Yes, believe it or not, some of us actually pay to sit in F.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Yes, believe it or not, some of us actually pay to sit in F.
Yeah, but how many "F" fares are you buying, vs. "P" or "A"? The full F fares are borderline outrageous. The OP never disclosed how much his upfare was (I suspect several hundred $), and I don't recall him even specifying what route it was.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, but how many "F" fares are you buying, vs. "P" or "A"? The full F fares are borderline outrageous. The OP never disclosed how much his upfare was (I suspect several hundred $), and I don't recall him even specifying what route it was.
True that.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Sounds like that's a guaranteed way for the OP to sit in Y when F is sold out.
...now I understand why airlines are giving away MQM... they want more competition for upgrades so that people are buying F rather than hoping for the upgrade.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by dukieee
...now I understand why airlines are giving away MQM... they want more competition for upgrades so that people are buying F rather than hoping for the upgrade.
You are absolutely correct! Several times, only regular F is available, no Y-UP or discount F available. Same reason why UA now has unlimited upgrades for all elites. Same reason why every airline I sent a request comped me elite status.

What "domestic" flight is so important that you are willing to pay full fare first class? I'm sure there are other options/flights/airlines!

I can understand on an international flight, if we are attending a financial meeting/conference, my employees are not riding in coach while the competition is in first.

My rep scans passenger list for me and I will pay full fare first if I want to be on the same flight as someone for competitive business reasons only!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by TigerWould

I can understand on an international flight, if we are attending a financial meeting/conference, my employees are not riding in coach while the competition is in first.

My rep scans passenger list for me and I will pay full fare first if I want to be on the same flight as someone for competitive business reasons only!
Wow. Where do you find those passenger lists? More importantly, I sense a free upgrade opportunity here. Me to airline: "Let me fly in F and I'll bring you two paid competitors of mine. Helps you (airline) and me (hurting competitors' profits)".
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
What exactly are you hoping to get op-uped into if F is full?
I don't think it is actually full up front, I think they have oversold J and will roll a couple people forward. I am basing this hope on the very unscientific method of checking the F seatmap (which has about 4-5 empty seats at any given time) while the F fare class is showing 0 as well as watching the fare availability. When a J fare randomly opens up, it seems that one will open up in F at the same time. All unscientific, I know, that's why I'm simply hoping. Nevermind the fact that I'm sure there will be some EXP ahead of me.

AA J seat is nothing to look forward to but 3x miles from ORD-DEL is too good of a deal to pass up, plus it happened to be the cheapest option.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TigerWould
You are absolutely correct! Several times, only regular F is available, no Y-UP or discount F available. Same reason why UA now has unlimited upgrades for all elites. Same reason why every airline I sent a request comped me elite status.

What "domestic" flight is so important that you are willing to pay full fare first class? I'm sure there are other options/flights/airlines!

They have a list of all of the competitor's employees and knows which flights they are on.... and tell you..., ? That sounds like a misuse of the reservations system. What if they take a different carrier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.