Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Effective 12 Oct 2014, meal selection is available from 30 days to 24 hours before flight (This meal selection was suspended temporarily 12 Sep - 10 Dec 2015.)

Special meal (Asian vegetarian, Kosher, Muslim, Low sodium, etc.) requests may be requested where offered. See this post for the list of available special meals.

[
Reserve your entrée before you fly

Flying in First or Business Class? We’re the first U.S. airline to offer you the choice to reserve your entrée on American Airlines flights with scheduled meal service. To enjoy this personalized service, simply reserve your meal at least 24 hours before departure.
  • Available for customers traveling on American Airlines in First or Business class, on the majority of flights that are scheduled to offer a meal.
  • You can reserve your meal beginning 30 days (and up to 24 hours) before you depart

• If you change your flight, reservation is required again

• Meals may not be available at times as there is a limit on numbers.

Information About Entrée (Main Course) Reservations:
  • Entrée reservations are available in First and Business class on American Airlines marketed and operated flights
  • We can begin accepting reservations 30 days prior to travel and all orders must be completed at least 24 hours before departure
  • If your original itinerary changes, please reselect your entrée preference
  • We will do our best to accommodate your request, but there may be instances that prevent us from fulfilling your selection

Problems? Try a DM using Twitter or call.

Also see

Note: the old order in which meal preferences are taken by Flight Attendants ("FEBO") ended on 1 Sep 2014. See "FEBO dead 1 Sep 2014 - new system based on flight direction & time zone change".

Thanks to wiki "plank holder" hillrider.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I searched for entree reservations and didn't see anything. Mods, please move if appropriate.

I noticed that my upcoming JFK-LAX (in F) gives an option for pre-ordering my main course:

Now I just have to decide if I can tell which entrée I'll want…

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 25, 2014 at 7:05 am Reason: This is a COPY or the ORIGINAL post in the ARCHIVE thread
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Are the pre-order meals always the same as what is served in cabin? How often are they different, if ever, are they?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thearmada
Are the pre-order meals always the same as what is served in cabin? How often are they different, if ever, are they?
Never in my experience (over 50 flights as a sample size)

I have had no issues with preordering at all in the last 6 months. Everything has worked flawlessly. ^
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My sample size is much smaller (five or so) but they've never been different.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by thearmada
I think pre-order feature does not become available on the website till around a month before the flight, isn’t it right? That is about the time airlines and catering finalize menu, where catering has all suppliers of ingredients finalized and contract signed. From that perspective it is unlikely that meals actually served in flight differ from what listed on the web as pre-order item.

Past few days where there were major operational disruption then I think it is likely that meals served can be different from what listed on a menu, due to suppliers could not deliver items on time to catering, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Ive done it twice now.
On the International flight it was recognized and served
On the domestic, DFW-PHX I was told the FA's tablet wasn't working and I didn't get my choice of meal.

Will be doing the journey in reverse later today, I better get my pre-orders as I don't like curry.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think pre-order feature does not become available on the website till around a month before the flight, isn’t it right?
Not only is it 30 days in advance, it is 30 days from the exact departure time. I'm disappointed to see that I have identical options on my Transcon in each direction. Well, almost identical. 3 choices in F on 763 and same options minus filet of beef in J on 772.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any chance that http://mobile.aa.com (and therefore the app) be updated to enable choosing one's entrée like on www.aa.com?

It's a feature that it's obviously here to stay.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:07 pm

OK this was a weird pre-order entree situation. We had a 3 legs on one day outbound journey that we had selected meals for. First was breakfast, then next two were each a snack. Breakfast choice was 1) cereal or 2) I'll decide later. Snack choices for the next two legs were identical: 1) NASTY curry chicken wraps or 2) beef salad. ordered the cereal and then Ordered the beef salad on each.

We fly the flights and 2 of the 3 flights don't have ANY entrees. The breakfast flight changed to everyone gets yogurt and fruit and bread. The 2nd flight had the snacks with our pre orders. the 3rd flight had warm nuts and a cookie, that was it. Asked the flight attendants about no show pre orders on both flights and they just said this is what we're serving. Was very bizarre 1) that they offered a one choice only entree for one flight, and then no showed meals altogether. I didn't miss the food THAT much as the cereal is, well, cereal, and the beef salad is pretty much just OK, but if it had been better/bigger deal meals, I'd have been more frustrated.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Am on a mid con flight to dfw tomorrow and itinerary says "lunch". When I select pre order choice on line it shows the "variety of Kellogg's cereal" or "make selection later". Weird.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some failure here, but not enough knowledge to know if it's AA's or the caterer's.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
OK this was a weird pre-order entree situation. We had a 3 legs on one day outbound journey that we had selected meals for. First was breakfast, then next two were each a snack. Breakfast choice was 1) cereal or 2) I'll decide later. Snack choices for the next two legs were identical: 1) NASTY curry chicken wraps or 2) beef salad. ordered the cereal and then Ordered the beef salad on each.

We fly the flights and 2 of the 3 flights don't have ANY entrees. The breakfast flight changed to everyone gets yogurt and fruit and bread. The 2nd flight had the snacks with our pre orders. the 3rd flight had warm nuts and a cookie, that was it. Asked the flight attendants about no show pre orders on both flights and they just said this is what we're serving. Was very bizarre 1) that they offered a one choice only entree for one flight, and then no showed meals altogether. I didn't miss the food THAT much as the cereal is, well, cereal, and the beef salad is pretty much just OK, but if it had been better/bigger deal meals, I'd have been more frustrated.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davesam12
Am on a mid con flight to dfw tomorrow and itinerary says "lunch". When I select pre order choice on line it shows the "variety of Kellogg's cereal" or "make selection later". Weird.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some failure here, but not enough knowledge to know if it's AA's or the caterer's.
Contact web services so they know and can look into it!

As we know, AA does not actively monitor this social network site (although they do close loopholes that surface here...it figures!)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
My options for upcoming SAN-DFW flight
Cereal
With milk and fresh fruit
Soy Bacon Quiche Lorraine
With asparagus and herb-crusted tomato
Choose Later
I will make my selection at a later time or during the flight
soy bacon???
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by skunker
My options for upcoming SAN-DFW flight

soy bacon???
The quiche is actually really good.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
i was on an AM flight from LGA-PBI earlier this month and the FA didn't say anything about pre-reserved meals (which i had done). i was able to still get what i ordered so i didn't push it but there are still some out there that are not following this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.