'Everything' about the merger!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
You're right

Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
Quick question on the merger, is the DM Gold going to 50% effective Oct 5 or Feb 28, when the next year program roles out?

I have both DM Gold and FF Gold.. and if DM Gold is still 100%. through end of year or next year.... I am switching my number on my reservations.

I am assuming the changes are drastic and Oct 5. But willing to ask...
This is a very interesting point. I think you are on to something.

On the Flight Fund portion of the transition web site it states:
Effective October 5, 2005, the FlightFund Elite program will have four tiers. . .

On October 5, 2005, FlightFund members who have earned 100,000 elite-qualifying flight miles or flown 120 elite- qualifying segments within the 2005 calendar year will become an America West Chairman’s Elite member. Current FlightFund Platinum members who have fewer than 100,000 miles or 120 segments will be automatically elevated to Chairman’s Elite status for a trial membership on October 5, 2005.

On the Dividend Miles portion of the same site it states:
In 2006, the new Dividend Miles program will have four Preferred tiers; Silver, Gold, Platinum and Chairman’s. Below is an overview of the Preferred program.

Effective October 5, members can earn and redeem miles on the combined US Airways and America West route system and the Star Alliance network. . . In 2006, the frequent flyer programs of both US Airways and America West will be combined to create the new US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flyer program.
Nowhere does it say on the Dividend Miles section that the changes in elite bonuses are effective 10/5/05.

When you think about it, the changes in elite bonuses don't impact current HP FF elites. On Oct. 5, Platinums are automatically elevated to CP, which comes with the same 100% bonus they now receive as a Plat. Golds receive a 50% bonus now, so there's no change there. The change in this regard is on the US side, which is, effectively being brought in line with HP's current structure, with a 75% Plat level added in for next year. So, this means that elite members, whether US or HP, who will ultimately receive a lower bonus than they would at the same level this year, don't feel that impact until the '06 program year.

So, you're game plan should work. The problem, of course, is that very few people are Gold in both programs so it's a pretty small number of people who can take advantage of this.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:23 pm

Upgrades are Better on US than Any Other Carrier!

Why is everyone being so negative, including with the threats about walking to other airlines? Does everyone realize that the new US Airways has the best elite program and upgrade policy of any airline, especially compared to United, AA, etc...?

CHP can clear anytime in advance on US/HP on full Coach fares, or w/in 7 days before departure on other Coach fareswhich is better than any other airline.

Platinum get the same on full-fare, and on other Coach can clear 4 days before departure.

Gold get the same on full-fare, but on other Coach can clear 3 days before departure.

Silver -- also the best of breed -- full fare the same, and on other Coach
can clear 2 days before departure. This is better than all other airlines.

This is most the important aspect of the new US Airways to me. I am a lowly Silver Preferred and UA Premier, and I am switching all my business over to US Airways!
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by N93109
Silver -- also the best of breed -- full fare the same, and on other Coach
can clear 2 days before departure. This is better than all other airlines.

This is most the important aspect of the new US Airways to me. I am a lowly Silver Preferred and UA Premier, and I am switching all my business over to US Airways!
tee hee. Once HP fare policies are in place, do let us know how well a fourth-tier Silver does in actually getting those "better" upgrades.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:38 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs down What a joke!

Charging for WiFi in their clubs is a complete joke. The cost of running this wireless network is next to nil. (Yes, I do know what the cost is.....)
Setting up an account for each member can be self service with full encryption. However, I don't believe the low cost IT group from America West knows how to set it up.

So save a buck on your IT, but look like a joke when compared to your competitors.

Doug, you keep going backwards. Of course, this is exactly what I expect from an airline with the name of US Airways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.