Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HP gift cards at supermarkets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

HP gift cards at supermarkets

I noticed tonight that Fry's Foods sells America West gift cards. If you have a credit card that offers bonus miles for grocery purchases, this would be a way to get them for an airline purchase. In my experience, gift cards bought at a grocery store earn the grocery bonus -- they just credit them based on the merchant type, they have no idea what you're buying.

I've done this with other gift cards. This is the first time I've seen an airline gift card.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alanh
I noticed tonight that Fry's Foods sells America West gift cards. If you have a credit card that offers bonus miles for grocery purchases, this would be a way to get them for an airline purchase. In my experience, gift cards bought at a grocery store earn the grocery bonus -- they just credit them based on the merchant type, they have no idea what you're buying.

I've done this with other gift cards. This is the first time I've seen an airline gift card.
Interesting. Given that it would presumably be one item of many on a Fry's total charge, I don't know how the credit card company would know that some portion of it was for a gift card. It would be worth a try.

However, how do you use this card? Looking on-line at payment options when buying a ticket, I don't see an option of entering a AWA gift card for payment. I wonder if you have to call up to do it.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Interesting. Given that it would presumably be one item of many on a Fry's total charge, I don't know how the credit card company would know that some portion of it was for a gift card. It would be worth a try.

However, how do you use this card? Looking on-line at payment options when buying a ticket, I don't see an option of entering a AWA gift card for payment. I wonder if you have to call up to do it.
There is no way for the credit card company to know that it was a gift card purchase. You would definitely get the supermarket bonus. However, you would give up any travel insurance that you might have by charging it directly. Also, in the unlikely event that HP goes out of business, you would not have any credit card protection.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It says on the Gift Cards Fact Page that you will be able to use them on-line sometime in 2005. For now, you can only use them by calling a rep.
http://www.americawest.com/awa/conte...GCdefault.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.