Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:53 pm

Programs: AWA FF
They change them about every 6 Mo

Just wanted to let you know that they change the snack mix once a year
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines

Had it today on a phx-iah flight. Major thumbs down. No more nuts, and especially, the dried cherries are no more. Cheap a$$ HP!

Those finger fried dealios in the mix are crap. I know it boils down to cost. This crap mix has to be much cheaper than the prior mix offered.

Thanks Doug
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I didn't really think it was an HP thing. I figured King Nut changed it up. If it was HP that did it for whatever reason it sucks...but if it was the supplier then HP may have no control over it and the supplier might just change it up once a year. I've only had a couple packages of the new stuff but I still found some almonds in there but not sure about the other nuts that were in there. But those yellow sticks suck and they get all over your fingers

Lance

Originally Posted by enviroian

Had it today on a phx-iah flight. Major thumbs down. No more nuts, and especially, the dried cherries are no more. Cheap a$$ HP!

Those finger fried dealios in the mix are crap. I know it boils down to cost. This crap mix has to be much cheaper than the prior mix offered.

Thanks Doug
Old May 3, 2005, 3:05 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
*******S!!! Is *NOTHING* sacred?

What's your worst imaginable HP nightmare?

No more free upgrades?
No more first class, period?
No more airline, perhaps?

The one that has become reality is worse than any of those.

They changed the snack mix.

My favorite snack mix of all time, the wonderful, tasty, unique one served only in F -- found nowhere else on earth -- is now gone. Goodbye cranberries, canola oil, 7 grams of fat. Hello "Bagel chips ranch", "cheese corn stick", partially hydrogenated soybean oil, dextrose monohydrate, 8 grams of fat. Costco would be proud.

You can gripe all you want about lost upgrades and domestic partners. Nothing says "Braniff" like "Dehydrated Cheese Flavor."

God help America West.
Old May 3, 2005, 3:17 am

Programs: DL DM MM, MH Gold, SPG Platinum
How come everyone thinks those were cranberries yet knows the fat content? I was the other way, those were dried cherries according to the bag but I had no idea what the nutritional information was.

Anyway, 2 pages of discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423042
Old May 3, 2005, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by stewabr
How come everyone thinks those were cranberries yet knows the fat content? I was the other way, those were dried cherries according to the bag but I had no idea what the nutritional information was.

Anyway, 2 pages of discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423042
Actually I had a bag of the old stuff on Thursday and they were cranberries in that bag per the ingredients list. I made a point to check because of the cherry/cranberry debate And they are tart like cranberries. Not nearly sweet enough to be cherries. Maybe you got a special bag that said it

But yeah this was discussed earlier as noted.

Lance
Old May 3, 2005, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bidkat

No offense, but I hated (with a passion) those F snack mixes they used to give out. When I saw the FA with the black & gold bags being passed out on short hauls I used to specifically request "whatever coach was having." That has to be a first for a FTer, right?
Old May 3, 2005, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by AgtMulder
No offense, but I hated (with a passion) those F snack mixes they used to give out. When I saw the FA with the black & gold bags being passed out on short hauls I used to specifically request "whatever coach was having." That has to be a first for a FTer, right?
Actually I had asked an F about the snacks one time and she said many F pax ask for "whatever coach is having". I personally liked the previous mix and do not like the new mix at all. I eat any good parts of it and toss the rest.

Lance
Old May 3, 2005, 1:33 pm
Suspended

What's your worst imaginable HP nightmare?

No more free upgrades?
No more first class, period?
No more airline, perhaps?

My favorite snack mix of all time, the wonderful, tasty, unique one served only in F -- found nowhere else on earth -- is now gone. Goodbye cranberries, canola oil, 7 grams of fat. Hello "Bagel chips ranch", "cheese corn stick", partially hydrogenated soybean oil, dextrose monohydrate, 8 grams of fat. Costco would be proud.

You can gripe all you want about lost upgrades and domestic partners. Nothing says "Braniff" like "Dehydrated Cheese Flavor."

God help America West.
It could be worse. They could bring back hot pockets.
Old May 3, 2005, 1:52 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by Ord26
Ooops I thought they were cranberries too.
They are cranberries.

***** UPDATE *****

Just spoke with the King Nut people, makers of the Roasted Gold Mix.

Rep told me it was AWA's decision to change products, they rotate them periodically. The two products have the same price, but the RG bags were 3/4 oz while the new Costco cheese mix bag is a full oz, making the Gold 33% pricier.

She connected me with the voice mail of the president, Martin Kanan. I let him know how much several of us AWA elites will miss the Gold.

Mr. Kanan's assistant called back to say that he had spoken with the airline, and they plan to have the Gold mix back in six months. Yippee!! Apparently, the airline heard our complaints, and now they just have to use up their existing supply of the inferior mix.

For those of you who can't live that long without it, you can buy the mix company direct at www.kingnut.com. A 40-ounce bag is $6.95 plus UPS shipping. I ordered four bags, and shipping to CA was $11 (not cheap). Shelf life is 4-6 months.

Normally, it's par for anything I like to be discontinued. The assistant assured me there were no plans for that.
Old May 3, 2005, 1:59 pm

Mr. Kanan's assistant called back to say that he had spoken with the airline, and they plan to have the Gold mix back in six months. Yippee!! Apparently, the airline heard our complaints, and now they just have to use up their existing supply of the inferior mix.
Glad to hear they listened to our complaints and are bringing the other stuff back.

Lance
Old May 3, 2005, 2:55 pm
Suspended

They are cranberries.

***** UPDATE *****

Just spoke with the King Nut people, makers of the Roasted Gold Mix.

Rep told me it was AWA's decision to change products, they rotate them periodically. The two products have the same price, but the RG bags were 3/4 oz while the new Costco cheese mix bag is a full oz, making the Gold 33% pricier.

She connected me with the voice mail of the president, Martin Kanan. I let him know how much several of us AWA elites will miss the Gold.

For those of you who can't live that long without it, you can buy the mix company direct at www.kingnut.com. A 40-ounce bag is $6.95 plus UPS shipping. I ordered four bags, and shipping to CA was $11 (not cheap). Shelf life is 4-6 months.

Normally, it's par for anything I like to be discontinued. The assistant assured me there were no plans for that.
Cool ^ I'm impressed you actually called king nut. Tomorrow when I fly home to phx I'll think of your post

Actually I looked closer at the mix yesterday (phx-aus) and noticed the fat gm content to be 1 gm higher at 8 gms compared to the older mix.

Speaking of food, I am here for the TCEQ conference but last night at Roy's something poisoned me (perhaps the "raw" calamari) but have been in my room all day sick and haven't been able to see the conference.
Old May 3, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, MH Gold, SPG Platinum
Cranberries are indeed correct. I actually realized that I had an old bag setting in my corporate apartment 15 minutes ago.

Thanks for the correction
Old May 3, 2005, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Talking Hail to the King.

Been there. I ordered two bags last year for any flights where I was stuck in Y.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:38 pm

question repeated, has anybody had the new F catering yet? saw the pictures, but nobody has mentioned anything here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.