Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do YOU think the merged name should be?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
If it does happen, what better way to tell the world that the old bad USAir attitude is gone than to keep the AmericaWest brand?

I appreciate the employees not wanting it to happen, but the benefits to us Phoenicians of the expanded route system are potentially great . . . but only if the combined entity stays the AWA we rely on. If and when it does happen, "the victor should get the spoils", AWA employees (who are in large part responsible for the ability to be a victor) included.
Old May 2, 2005, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worst Scare?

Seriously, I hope the merger does not go through. Although the latest headlines seem to say they are seeking people to finance it already.

It took HP a lot of hard work to get good. I think US will drag them down. Look at what happened when Air Canada took over Canadian. All that merging of seniority lists caused a lot of tension and service went down big time. That was not a good thing. (I like AC a lot but they did go through huge pains during the merger.)

IMHO, the west is where the population growth is and fares in the east will keep going down as other discount carriers expand. Why take a huge risk like this when you have something nice going?

I also wonder how much say *A has in the merger. I even wonder if *A would want a merged US/HP. Without that, it cannot be competitive crossing the Atlantic. Is there a cost/fare structure reason that prevents discount carriers from joining these alliances? Maybe time to start another one with all the discount carriers?

Last edited by username; May 2, 2005 at 1:44 am
Old May 3, 2005, 3:51 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
How about Dextrose Monohydrate Airways?

(Sorry. Still fuming over the new snack mix.)
Old May 9, 2005, 11:14 pm

Clearly, it will be "Air Canada Junior"
Old May 10, 2005, 12:46 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Wink Pan Am

Over on airliners.net I suggested that HP buy the Pan Am name from that idiot who currently has it. That's the only way I can accept the loss of the "America West" name.
Old May 10, 2005, 12:38 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Over on airliners.net I suggested that HP buy the Pan Am name from that idiot who currently has it. That's the only way I can accept the loss of the "America West" name.

@:-) VERY cool idea! If we have to suffer through the merger, at least we can whip out a cool FF card and brand name when we tell those who we work with that we're flying ABC carrier. PanAm was a stellar brand until almost at the very end.

I do see one problem though: getting those FC upgrade email notices through corporate email scanners when the subject line reads:

Status PanAM First Class Upgrade Notification

Last edited by KevAZ; May 10, 2005 at 12:43 pm
Old May 10, 2005, 10:16 pm

i am completely against the merger for most of the reasons airbus girl states. usair is bad news. if they do merge, they must stick with the HP name. in many markets, it may be a welcome newcomer.

as far as being region specific.... SW came in and took over all of FL, BWI, and lots of chi by way of midway. last i checked, it was no where near the SW.

look at NW. with hubs in dtw, mem, and msp, ams and nrt, how do they figure that name makes sense.
Old May 11, 2005, 3:40 am

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Maybe they can take the 4 letters from HP and US and form PUSH, as in off a cliff.

I have a hard time seeing where this merger talk between the airlines is going. USAir -- 16 years on, still not a happy marriage between Alleghany and Piedmont -- seems to poison everything it gets near. Its survival the past 2 years defies logic, but I won't complain about that as long as I still have over 100,000 miles to use up on them -- a third of what I had a year ago.

US needs this more than Cactus does -- at present, US metal serves precisely 6 airports west of the Rockies: LAX, SFO, SAN, SEA, LAS & PHX. It's dismal.
Old May 12, 2005, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by olympicnut
Why cant they just keep it America West? Its still called Virgin Atlantic and they fly to more places than just across the Atlantic. China Southern flys to more than just southern China. The old Western Airlines flew all over the place, same with Eastern.

But the core of Virgin's operations takes place across the Atlantic, DUH.
Old May 12, 2005, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate to break it to all little angels out there, but the truth is, America West is a terrible, unrecognized name throughout the world. Other than in the US and even Canada perhaps, where do you hear the name America West???? US Airways (with its much more elegant and classy livery) flies to major European cities as well as to several Caribbean cities. Sorry.

For marketing purposes, if HP and US merge, the name America West wouldn't make much sense, unless the new company wanted to lose most of its East Coast customers. Again, say goodbye to that awful America West name y'all love.

I really can't wait for us Chairman's Preferred members to force America West Plats to miss their upgrades. Most likely, US Airways' award-winning Dividend Miles Program will bring America West's highest frequent flyer status up to 100,000 miles. Goodbye former HP Plats, hello former US CPs.
Old May 12, 2005, 3:28 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool AZ work your mod magic and lock this one

Originally Posted by fly747first
I hate to break it to all little angels out there..
Angels is right. Like Gabriel himself coming down to rescue your pathetic mismanaged airline from an absolute death. Your fate is in the hands of HP.

If Parker walked away, US would be eventually consumed by WN, and all the fallen CP's would be boarding with the rest of the WN cattle in Y.

...but the truth is, America West is a terrible, unrecognized name throughout the world. Other than in the US and even Canada perhaps, where do you hear the name America West????
One place you don't hear "America West" these days is in halls of the bankruptcy courts. America West may not be well known in some regions, but I'd rather be unknown than well-known for all the wrong reasons.

Remember the Christmas meltdown?

US Airways (with its much more elegant and classy livery)
I didn't know that Goth-chic was considered elegant. Definitely not classy. Every US plane looks as like a flying hearse. The word morbid comes to mind.

flies to major European cities as well as to several Caribbean cities. Sorry.
They don't have to. HP learned from their past mistakes. They realize it's far less expensive to partner with the "real" intercontinental airlines than fly your own metal into financial ruin.

I guess a second round of bankrupcty didn't teach US anything either.

For marketing purposes, if HP and US merge, the name America West wouldn't make much sense, unless the new company wanted to lose most of its East Coast customers.
Like an onion you peel another layer away only to unveil more ignorance. HP already has East Coast customers. Someone in JFK or BOS looking to go to LAX already knows about HP becuase of the low-fare competition they brought to the transcon market. With a hub in LAS, tons of people from the eastcoast know about HP.

Again, say goodbye to that awful America West name y'all love.
Again, eventually the US name will go as well. Maybe you forgot to read that part.

I really can't wait for us Chairman's Preferred members to force America West Plats to miss their upgrades.
We won't miss anything. You can be sure that CP's won't be given any more favor over Plats and we flew less to get top-tier status.

Goodbye former HP Plats, hello former US CPs.
Goodbye troll.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; May 12, 2005 at 3:42 am
Old May 12, 2005, 6:22 am

Programs: HP/US
all the spew garbage above...
I think I will remain quiet on this one!
But...well said Byrd, on behalf of this PROUD HP employee!
Old May 12, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: US1
Come on everyone. There is no reason for this.

I like both HP and US. I hope the HP management (which I think is far better than US management) takes the new US Airways and brings it back to the classy airline it use to be a few years back.

Byrd is correct. If the HP/US merger does not go through. There is a good chance that US will not be around after this summer. Summer months have been the most profitable for US so if the merger does not happen...well who knows anymore. People have said US will die 10 times over now.

But Byrd. I do like the US livery. That is not black paint. It is a dark blue. I guess being in the US Navy I am very patriotic about the red, white and blue and the flag. But that is just me.

However, Like I said before. I do like some of the special liveries that HP flies.

Let's all take a deep breath. We are talking about 30,000 (and possibly more) peoples jobs that are on the line. There are many good people who still work as front line employees (PHL sucks big time). I am praying for them and their families.
Old May 12, 2005, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Angels is right. Like Gabriel himself coming down to rescue your pathetic mismanaged airline from an absolute death. Your fate is in the hands of HP.

If Parker walked away, US would be eventually consumed by WN, and all the fallen CP's would be boarding with the rest of the WN cattle in Y.

One place you don't hear "America West" these days is in halls of the bankruptcy courts. America West may not be well known in some regions, but I'd rather be unknown than well-known for all the wrong reasons.

Remember the Christmas meltdown?

I didn't know that Goth-chic was considered elegant. Definitely not classy. Every US plane looks as like a flying hearse. The word morbid comes to mind.

They don't have to. HP learned from their past mistakes. They realize it's far less expensive to partner with the "real" intercontinental airlines than fly your own metal into financial ruin.

I guess a second round of bankrupcty didn't teach US anything either.

Like an onion you peel another layer away only to unveil more ignorance. HP already has East Coast customers. Someone in JFK or BOS looking to go to LAX already knows about HP becuase of the low-fare competition they brought to the transcon market. With a hub in LAS, tons of people from the eastcoast know about HP.

Again, eventually the US name will go as well. Maybe you forgot to read that part.

We won't miss anything. You can be sure that CP's won't be given any more favor over Plats and we flew less to get top-tier status.

Goodbye troll.

All I'm going to say is... if America West was so great, perhaps it would fly to more places, but it does not because European routes competition would not help HP as of now. If you were so smart you would know that US Airways' European flights are highly profitable (unlike their domestic operations obviously). Therefore, HP will be thrilled about being able to fly to Europe for the VERY FIRST TIME.

Lecture all you want about US Airways being bad, the truth is, many of you are going to be introduced to international First Class thanks to US Airways' membership in the Star Alliance. I bet within the first months of the merger we are going to be reading tons of postings regarding how great First and Business Class is on *A carriers like SQ once you guys are able to redeem miles.

I'm still laughing at your comment about JFK - LAX. It's a good market to have, but unfortunately, most people would fly United p.s. on this route which makes HP seem like the pathetic low-cost airline it is. US Airways has lots of problems, but at least when they had enough cash they had one of the best transatlantic First and Envoy Business Class. HP has never had an award-winning premium class.

Just give it some time, you are going to be hating your once beloved airline once they start favoring US CPs and many of you are forced to go back to Gold status. Lastly, most people prefer US colors over HP colors.
Old May 12, 2005, 9:49 am

Programs: US1
Just give it some time, you are going to be hating your once beloved airline once they start favoring US CPs and many of you are forced to go back to Gold status. Lastly, most people prefer US colors over HP colors.
Fly 747, I do appreciate your loyalty to US Airways however, it's their management (HP) that will be taking the helm once the merger is complete (at least I hope so.) The DMSC give out many, many challenges a year. And I think anyone who is at HP's highest level I think will either be compt to CP level automatically or given a very easy challenge to make CP.

There are many very loyal customers to HP and the last thing anyone wants to do is piss anyone off in this merger. Many things have to be hammered out. And HP is not the only investor here. We have Mesa and Air Wisconsin and some other investors.

Nothing is said and done as of yet. I hope everyone gets their cake and will be able to eat it too. I know the new US Airways will remain part of the *A and it is very possible since the HP management will be in control that BA will still be a code share partner. Remember Qantas is with one world and they are still partnered with US. US and Qantas have had a great relationship over the years. BA and US relationship fell apart a few years back however, we are talking about "new management" here. And as far as I know HP and BA like each other.

On a side note. US does have a good presence here in Barcelona already. I live here every other month because of the Navy. There is advertisement going all around Barcelona right now with US Airways. They start flying non-stop on May 16th and I have seen a few ads in the paper here in BCN. US Airways will be the 2nd US airline here. The only other US airline in BCN is Delta. 3 Airlines fly non-stop to the USA here. Delta, Iberia and US Airways. The loads for US will do amazing.

Last edited by US AIRWAYS FAN; May 12, 2005 at 11:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.