Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

Silver status for new members with 6 segs by June 30; must pre-register

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver status for new members with 6 segs by June 30; must pre-register

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2002, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
It came from status in the other programs. And its not one you can " post the code"for- it actually came with a NW card in my name with an account number on it. And no, the only NW trip I have ever taken, to Japan, I dumped the miles into HP ( yah dumb- we wont go there )
Old May 25, 2002, 6:43 am

I'd also like to know if it goes until 02/03 or 02/04. Might make a short trip in June.

Also, would I get the 50% mileage bonus/space-av u/g on CO until September?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2002, 8:22 pm

I've flown ten or twelve HP round trips this year. I finally decided to join the program.

Well I was already a member and the agent was so surprised that I did'nt know she said "Would it please yopu if we upgraded you to Silver"?

Yes it would and yes it did.

Trouble is the FF programs used to be used as switching barriers, now they're recruiting tools.
Old May 27, 2002, 11:56 pm
anr

Does anyone know if surf n go fares count?
Old May 28, 2002, 4:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, America West Silver
Yes, they do count. And you receive 3000k miles for booking your surf and go fare!
Old May 28, 2002, 5:26 pm

How do you people figure out these low fare/multi-segment itineraries?? I just tried using the multi-city options on itn and americawest.com and come up with a 4 segments starting and ending at PHX for $275.

I have never tried to make a mileage (segment) run before, but if I can get gold for $118, I'll be all over it... Anybody have any hints or suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick.
Old May 28, 2002, 10:00 pm

They are almost impossible to do from PHX. But if you're willing to make that awful drive to TUS, it's pretty easy to find a trip that will work. How bad do you want elite?
Old May 29, 2002, 8:24 am

Viajero Joven : Thank You again for your wonderful posts, As always they are a welcome asset to these boards. Again THANK YOU !
Old May 29, 2002, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
PHX--BWI $198 RT, fare code VZR14NW

Allowed routing: PHX-HP-LAS- HP-HOU-HP-LAX/CHI/ATL/DFW-HP-CMH-HP-CLE/EWR-HP-BWI*

Routing as highlighted above will keep you on all HP metal and give you 8 segments on a single round trip. Tack on TUS (TUS-BWI) for $250 and you have all 10 segments for gold in a single pop.

Just so you know.
Old May 29, 2002, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Sydneyjb, thanks for your vote of confidence. Seriously.

I think I'm one of few Flyertalkers who has a career in the transportation field-- although not in the airline industry-- and your comments really help me feel like my efforts are truly helping people.
Old May 29, 2002, 12:09 pm

Wow, thanks for the routing! How do you know what "allowed" routings are?

And, this is somethingI will definitely consider doing. Thanks.
Old May 29, 2002, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

You can see routings by reading the fare rules on Expedia.... although as I think about it, you may be better off with 2 nested tickets PHX-LAS-xxx and xxx-LAS-PHX-TUS, overnight in TUS and the same on the return. The price should come out to about the same, but fewer in-seat miles for you.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 9:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
A $59 RT (americawest.com) LAX-LAS-PHX-TUS and back does the trick for Silver. Except for the Sat. night stay, you could do this in 1 easy day. Heck, $118 for 2 nested tickets gives you a night at home, and Gold when you get back.

Too bad I don't live on the west coast anymore.
</font>
Please help me understand!

It's clear many of you folks won't take too kindly to a neophyte such as myself wanting to horn in on this offer, but you must admit, I would be a fool not to want to.

My quest is to determine the least expensive method of obtaining the six or ten segments. I have been playing around with the suggested routing (LAX-LAS-PHX-TUS) for six segments and the best fare I have found is $240.00. I live in So. CA (Santa Barbara), so there are a number of possible airports that could be utilized, but I would prefer to be using a more efficient method of determining the best routing combinations than my current plan, which is to enter all 6.8 million of them one by one. Would you be willing to assist in enlightening me?

Furthermore, how would I know whether or not in a given instance it would be advantageous to "nest" bookings?

Many thanks for your assistance!
Old Jun 10, 2002, 1:16 pm

Some off us maintain the status the "hard" way - 96 HP segments this year and 70 Hilton nights. Why are they giving the house away so cheaply?. As someone who changes schedules frequently and often at the last minute, now I am going to be bumped out of the way by a newbie "Silver" who spent the least amount possible to get the status.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
To find multi-segment trips on HP, here is the way I get the most success:

- Start by going to travel.yahoo.com
- Click on flights on the top toolbar, and enter LAX for dept. and TUS for arr. cities
- Don't choose specific dates. Choose the 'My dates are flexible' option instead.
- Choose the least expensive HP flight from the list that comes up
- Choose dates on the calendar that'll work with your schedule
- Ignore the first list of flight options. Instead, click on the blue box on the bottom of the screen that says 'View More Flights'
- This should bring up itineraries that have 3 or more segments. If not, repeat the last step until it does. (Sometimes it won't give you any 3 segment options...)
- After pricing it out, I then go to www.americawest.com and book the ticket there so that I can get the 3,000 bonus miles. Also, if you sign your company up with their Corp Awards program, you get an additional 5% off. (There seems to be a problem getting this discount with the new HP website, however.)

At the time of this post, I found a fare of $136 after taxes for 6 segments.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.