Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better service in coach yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors (working back up)
Better service in coach yesterday

Well, I guess it had to happen. F was sold out for my ride home from EWR yesterday. When I was getting off the monorail, I ran into one of the gate agents and one of my favorite regular F/A's. I asked her if she was working the flight - she said yes.
She asked me where I was sitting
"I'm riding ghetto today" was my reply.
"Don't worry, I'm working the back - I'll take care of you" she said.

I got on the waiting list at checkin to no avail.

We boarded and I took my seat in coach. Before takeoff, she went around and comped all 8 plats in coach headphones. I declined since I've got my own N/C's, but asked for a pillow to put behind my back where the seat bends and I don't. 30 seconds later, she produced one out of thin air (I had already done some extensive searching).

During the flight, she came to me 4 times in addition to the regular service and asked me if I needed anything else. She probably did this for other FF's, but I was in row 5, so I don't know for sure. She comped me all of my drinks too and even offered me a leftover desert from F.

F service looked lousy. Took the F/A 3 hours to do the dinners up there. We were all fed in the first 90 mintes of the flight (mmmm - mystery meat caneloni!)

It's nice to see F/As who are willing to go out of their way to help out their top level elites. This is the kind of service that makes me loyal to them. I don't get it all the time, but it sure is nice when I do. I think she should be in charge of all F/A customer service training. For my part, I gave her 2 A&B coupons for the outstanding service yesterday. Made the 5 hour flight home pass quickly.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! You certainly have a friend.

It is strange that for all the comments I get about grumpy AWA employees (mostly on the yahoo investor board), some of my own best service experiences have been on AWA. Like the first class fight attendant who would NEVER let my drink glass be empty (even in first, I find I usually have to corner a fa for ANY non mealtime service). Since I don't go HP that often, I've always assumed it was just great luck.

Frankly, I'm still inclined to believe it was!
Old Jun 14, 2002, 3:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, America West Silver
I'm gold on HP, but flew FC on NW last week (using miles). I have to say the NW experience was inferior to HP's. ALl the food was presented at once (HP has courses) and without fanfare. No steeaming towel before the meal, just a tray with slightly upgraded serving pieces.

The service was much more rushed and far less personal than I've experienced on HP.
Alos, though I flew BOS-MINNE-PHX, and there was plenty of time, no movie. The final indignity!

I should have saved my miles!
Old Jun 15, 2002, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Never a movie on NW domestic -- there's no IFE at all, F or Y. And NW F is basically Coach Deluxe anyway... it's a pragmatically-designed product for its primary user: the elite claiming a free upgrade.

I imagine NW sells very few F seats and I certainly don't think they're worth spending award miles on. HP is definitely a better F product, esp. on the Airbuses (Airbi?).
Old Jun 17, 2002, 5:51 pm

I was delayed last night from SNA to PHX for 2 hours. Check in agent was most apologetic. I explained that it was not a serious problem for me since my wife would pick me up and we could go for dinner. She insisted that I have a $10.00 meal voucher - so I could get desert.

In 96+ segments this was my first delay.
Old Jun 17, 2002, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First delay in 96 flights? Are you carrying a rabbit's foot or something?

Nice touch by the gate agent to give you the voucher. She seemed genuinely CONCERNED for your welfare. That's huge when it comes to customer service. And probably the best 10 bucks the airline ever spent.

Are these really typical AWA experiences, though? I am a large shareholder in the company, not because I'm under the impression that it's a particularly great airline, but because it's astonishingly undervalued (market cap was under $100 million this morning) and the new CEO seems to be doing the right things. If AWA is still "small enough to care," that would obviously be another plus going for it.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 5:32 pm

Yes, 96 segments without inconvenience. I have volunteered for oversold flights and received $1000.00 in compensation ($200.00, $300.00, $500.00 + hotel). There have been only 3 or 4 flights where I did not get first class where it was available.

In addition, redeemed 80K for BA Club World including HP domestic first class simply by using the online request form. FlightFund office called back within a day with the PNR for the exact dates and class of service requested.

The other very useful aspect of flying HP is their participation in the Priority Pass program. I can use the UA red Carpet lounge in SNA before departure plus the Chairman's Club in PHX while waiting for a connection.

I understand service over the last few years was poor but they have certainly turned themselves around and now do an excellent job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.