Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

Record May Traffic; Airline Reports Record Load Factor for May and Year-To-Date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2002, 7:12 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

HP today reported traffic statistics for the month of May. Revenue passenger miles (RPMs) for May 2002 were a record 1.7 billion, up 0.3 percent from May 2001. The passenger load factor for the month of May was a record 75.5 percent, up 2.0 points from May 2001. Capacity for May 2002 decreased 2.4 percent from May 2001 to 2.3 billion available seat miles (ASMs).

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020605/law028_1.html
Old Jun 5, 2002, 7:38 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Load factor means diddly-squat, last July, (before you-know-when) they set a record 79.4% load factor and were still losing money.

I wanna see the RASM and CASM numeros.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/mi...TE=Aug+6,+2001
Old Jun 5, 2002, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I know my individual experiences are not representative of the full picture, but...

I have had real problems finding dirt cheap fares on America West since the first of the year. On the west coast from PHX, Southwest hasn't been loosey goosey with $31 each way fares for their 31st anniversary nor have they offered many of their usual $39 internet sale fares. Heading east, America West rarely matches the low fares of other airlines. There are cheap fares to be had on Continental and Northwest, amongst others, in retaliation for the new America West business fares. In short, the leisure fares are higher on HP this year.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 7:30 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
HP's leisure fares may be higher then the competition, but what's unknown is how much of that load factor is unpublished fares like Pricline, Hotwire and the air component of vacation packages and the like.

The truth is in the RASM.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 3:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
snake, what you said is very true. To add to my worthless anecdotal evidence, however, I have had no success bidding on priceline.com lately. In the past, I was always extremely successful with bids usually resulting in acceptance by America West Airlines.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how "worthless" your observations are, transworld. For investment reasons, we've been following the saga of AWA's new pricing initiative carefully on the AWA yahoo finance board.

When AWA lowered its walkup fares in March, a lot of people (wrongly I believe) claimed AWA was "slashing fares." Anyone paying close attention, however, realized that while AWA was lowering its highest fares, it was also raising its lowest ones. Indeed, management said it would stop dumping off-tariff fares on priceline and its ilk. The idea was that the average fare would rise.

Your experience bidding on priceline appears to be confirmed by the results posted on biddingfortravel.com, which has had no successful AWA priceline bids in months.

I would be interested in hearing more from you and others about your experiences with AWA's new fares. One question in particular for the business travellers: when AWA's walkup fare in higher (because of retaliation) in the markets where AWA has the only nonstop flights, do you usually fly AWA, or take the connection on the competitor?
Old Jun 6, 2002, 7:52 am

iahphx, HP was the low cost leader on walk-up transcon fares long before the "new" fare structure. I really wish Cactus well, but until we see the numbers we're just trying to read the tea leaves. If the biz travelers are gravitating toward HP it hasn't seemed to affect the FC upgrade success rate of us "mileage runners"

There are some basic operational problems that will resurface as the airline gets back to a full schedule. Now it's summertime, and soon will come the thunderstorms and temperature related weight restrictions.

Again, I wish 'em well, but I ain't gonna invest my retirement in 'em.

Let's talk more when we see real numbers.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors (working back up)
IAHPHX,
I guess I could give you some anecdotal evidence on the new fare strurcture. I commute between PHX and EWR about 3 weeks a month. The planes have always been sardine cans typically leaving with &lt; 5 empty seats - this has not changed since the announcement. I buy the R/T tickets from EWR to PHX and back. This is a carryover from before April when a Sat night stay was required. One of these days, I'll buy a 1 way and get things back in the right direction - but I digress...

Prior to April, my fares were usually right around $400 R/T. Sometimes I'd get lucky and snag a $325 R/T on the cheap. After April, I haved only found fares as low as $430. It may be due to increased demand, or it may be due to new pricing - I'm not sure. Here's a table of the last few months of reservations I've made:

Date O/B Amount
Bought Date Paid
------ ----- ------
5/24 6/13 430.00
5/24 6/6 600.00
5/1 5/23 457.00
4/11 5/11 332.00
3/27 4/25 325.00
3/21 4/18 539.05
3/11 4/7 315.00
2/13 3/28 404.00
2/13 3/14 404.00

Remember, these are all between EWR and PHX. I try to buy 3 weeks in advance to get a better fare. Even now, the busses fill up quick, so it's cheaper to plan ahead (see the $600 fare above!). It seems to me that the fares have gone up about 10%. I have not seen anything less than $430 since the announcement.

On the plus side, I've been batting 100% upgrades since the announcement. However, they often don't clear untill the airport as they think they're CO on this route (ie - they hold all upgrade seats until the last minute).

I always stick with HP on this route. As an HP PLAT, I have little chance of getting an upgrade on CO on this route, and their coach seats are horrible! At least the Airbuses have tolerable coach seats. CO's coach is just too tight for my 6'3" 235lb frame. As far as a conneting carrier, I will not take an extra 4 hours each way to get across the country to save $200. And yes, the money does come outta my pocket as my billing rate out here is all inclusive. Of course, my perspetive mey be different on this one as there are not many people who commute as far as I do to work.

P.S. Wish me luck getting home tonight as there are T-Storms here in NJ!

Old Jun 6, 2002, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info, flyinmike. Given your schedule, your fare info on the route is certainly more than "anecdotal."

BTW, I think your buying pattern help explains why the big boys' retaliation against AWA isn't working so well. In NYC, there are walkup fares from LGA and JFK that are around $260 on the competitors, but with your advance purchase, you can get an AWA nonstop (and the upgrade) for only $150 more. It's obviously worth that, even if the Queens airports' were as convenient for you.

I'm curious what will happen with yield/traffic on the EWR flights once the ff reciprocity ends in September. It seems like the EWR flights are busier than the JFK ones. I've always thought that was due to OnePass, but I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

Old Jun 6, 2002, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors (working back up)
The number of CO elites on this route seems to already have dropped. There were many times in the past when I was trumped on the S/B list by CO plats who checked in before me. I have not seen too many CO elites on the planes lately - judging by bag tags, anyway.

Of course, why would you mess with HP as a CO elite when you know your chances of the U/G are very low?
Old Jun 6, 2002, 1:07 pm
Original Member

"Of course, why would you mess with HP as a CO elite when you know your chances of the U/G are very low?"

Exactly. I can only recall one flight from EWR-PHX I've flown on America West (back when that was code shared). I did not receive the upgrade and flew in a middle seat. On Continental, I haven't missed an upgrade in either direction of this route since I was a Bronze OnePass member in 1998.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.