Wiki Posts
Search

Business class on ANA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Business class on ANA

Thanks for the info on First class. How about business class?

Have you guys flown ANA between Osaka and Bangkok?
Old Jul 29, 2001, 10:43 pm

The aircraft is most likely 767 and is not at all good. It's like a U.S. domestic on a two-class configuration equipment. Food may be a bit better but it's very uncomfortable. 747 or 777 is better but not at all comprable to those seats offered by UA or NW or AA. It's simply inferior.
Old Jul 31, 2001, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I flew Osaka to Bangkok in Business Class on ANA in March. It was my first intra-Asia flight. The service blew me away.

Yes, it is true that the 767 seat is not all that comfortable compared to the 777 seat used from BKK-NRT (which I flew back on). But everything else was superb - and far better than the BKK-NRT run.

First, there were very flew people in the J class cabin (by comparison, it was completely full from BKK-NRT). There were maybe 4 flight attendants in J all tripping over themselves to serve us.

Everytime I went to the bathroom, a stewardess rushed to open the door for me.

When I busted a ballpoint pen and had ink spilling out of it, I simply asked that the pen be taken away. The stewardess asked me if I wanted her to empty the pen of ink and return the pen plastic shell. I asked her to repeat the question because I was so dumbfounded.

The food was good and ample.

I doubt that I will ever experience service on any airline in any class at the level I received that evening from KIX to BKK.

Scott: I just realized you were from Canada and therefore are likely a seasoned AC flyer. My last leg of my 10 day Asian odyssey was from NRT-YYZ on AC 002 in J class (or Executive First as it is called). After being pampered on ANA and TG throughout Asia, I entered the AC 340 and after speaking with the flight attendant for less than a minute and being brusquely dealt with (as is the norm), I knew then that I was truly "home".

[This message has been edited by Salisbury5 (edited 07-31-2001).]
Old Jul 31, 2001, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Salisbury5, I'm indeed a seasoned traveller on Air Canada. Certainly, compared to ANA, CX or SG, AC's J class is better bad. I do have comfort in knowing that the J class product does hold pretty well against any American airlines.

What kind of work do you do? I really need to find a job that enables me to fly to Asia very often.
Old Aug 1, 2001, 4:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Salisbury5:
My last leg of my 10 day Asian odyssey was from NRT-YYZ on AC 002 in J class (or Executive First as it is called). After being pampered on ANA and TG throughout Asia, I entered the AC 340 and after speaking with the flight attendant for less than a minute and being brusquely dealt with (as is the norm), I knew then that I was truly "home".

[This message has been edited by Salisbury5 (edited 07-31-2001).]
</font>
I am based in Tokyo and fly AC regularly (as well as JL, NH, TG and SQ). Apart from one experience on a recent North Atlantic flight, I have always enjoyed AC flights. I find the crews professional and friendly and the seats comfortable. That's all I need....and you don't get those endless PA announcements in Japanese (what do they find to announce so much?).
Old Aug 1, 2001, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Scott: I am a lawyer - but the Asia business trip last March was probably a once in a five year thing as far as my Canadian/US patent and trade-mark law practice goes. But it was pretty exciting!

Snoopy: Your comment made me smile - it had been months since I had thought about those endless announcements in Japanese (even during the red eye from BKK-NRT!!) I kept worrying during the flight whether the translation of any of them was "we are ditching the plane in the China Sea - put on your lifejackets NOW!"

Please don't misunderstand me - I am a big fan of AC and am of the strong opinion that it offers a superior product intra-North America than any US airline (and I have flown AA, UA, US, DL and Midway). But nothing (and I mean nothing) compares to having a flight attendant open the door to the lavatory for you each time you get up to pee.

[This message has been edited by Salisbury5 (edited 08-01-2001).]
Old Aug 1, 2001, 9:31 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Salisbury5:
But nothing (and I mean nothing) compares to having a flight attendant open the door to the lavatory for you each time you get up to pee.
</font>
I can imagine. I have yet to experience it though..I should fly ANA more often for a once in a lifetime experience. :-)

Old Aug 3, 2001, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Have you guys tried the Bento box meal option on Business Class? Is it good?
If I get to fly ANA this fall, I'm sure going to try one of those boxes. Do you need to reserve for one?
Old Aug 3, 2001, 10:01 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott218:
If I get to fly ANA this fall, I'm sure going to try one of those boxes. Do you need to reserve for one?
</font>
You don't need to reserve a bento...it's what the majority passengers request. Yes...it's good.

Also, while I haven't been on the 767 business class, I'll confirm what others say about ANA's superior service.
Old Aug 5, 2001, 9:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scott218:
</font>
Scott218,
You won't be disappointed with ANA's bentos.
They are really good, and as a comparison they are far way better than UA's Japanese meals in Business class. I am always asking for the bentos when flying ANA's business.

------------------
Regards,
StarAllianceFlyer
Old Aug 6, 2001, 2:27 am

I took their NRT-HKG flight last month when HKG was ravaged by their ever-lasting cyclones of this season. We were not informed of any delay until we were all boarded on time. Then the captain gave us one of the most comprehensive report he could give us regarding the airtraffic situation and the congestion into Hong Kong.
While waiting for the clearance from NRT, we were served nuts and drinks and a chief purser filled us on the latest news on how flights from other cities of Japan to HKG are doing to each business class pax, at
least those on the upper deck. ( this flight was to be 777 but often flown with 742 )
She said ANA's flight from KIX to HKG finally departed and therefore we should get
going pretty soon. Voila, in ten minuts we
are off! I saw CX and JL's HKG bound flights still at their gates while we took off. Aboard, the service was extremely courteous and the Japanese food beats even those served in first class in UA.( well, its
not a fair comparison, I know.) I am now
convinced I would fly more of ANA for their intra Asia 747 flights. For their long distance flights, I shall wait the debut of their new seats next year. Also I was very
pleasantly surprised to see First class tags
on all of my checked baggages. Is that a courtesy of ANA or they do it for UA 1K members??
Old Aug 6, 2001, 7:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Also I was very pleasantly surprised to see First class tags on all of my checked baggages. Is that a courtesy of ANA or they do it for UA 1K members??
</font>
They give F Class priorities (like check-in, lounge, boarding and baggage) to all Star Golds. Exception is the lack of F class lounge access at some airports, namely Narita. So non-NH *G's have to use the C class lounge in NRT.

I, too, very much enjoy the way my bags come out first (sometimes literally) and also the ability to check-in in the F counters. (as sometimes even the C class counters have long lines)

I think the reason for this is because they give C-class check-in, lounge and baggage handling to full-fare Y passengers, so *G's have to come somewhere above that, which is F class
Old Aug 7, 2001, 11:02 am
mjm
Original Member

Just arrived in NYC off the NH10 from Tokyo. Confirmed my belief that NH is by far the best *Alliance product out there. If their seats reclined a bit more it would be great, but I will have that in F going to the PiP 2001. Love the service and the food is impecable.

Mike

------------------
a FlyerTalk tradition continues in November 2001 in Cannes, France......

Check the PiP 2001 Website or the FT Topic for details and news.
Old Sep 30, 2001, 7:26 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also I was very
pleasantly surprised to see First class tags
on all of my checked baggages. Is that a courtesy of ANA or they do it for UA 1K members??</font>
I just did NRT to BOM in Business Class as a *Gold and got the First class tags -- I think they do this for all Business Class pax

Old Oct 2, 2001, 7:11 pm

During a recent flight from BKK-ORD via NRT, i was impressed by the service but was extremely disappointed by the seats. Compared to CX and SQ, NH's seat is by far inferior. As i said, the service is very very good. It is extremely Japanese! I loved it. I actually took the flight on 15th September, the first day that NH started flying to NA after the Sept 11 incident. I was very surprised that biz was very empty. I managed to get a seat with nobody seating in front, behind nor adjacent to me.

I dun know if it is the best biz product in * alliance but it is certainly one of the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.