Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

All Nippon Airways Will Introduce Boeing 777 to San Francisco Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2000, 4:45 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

All Nippon Airways will introduce a new aircraft, the state-of-the-art Boeing 777-200ER (Extended Range), to its non-stop service between San Francisco and Tokyo on October 29.
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/000926/ny_all_nip.html
Old Sep 27, 2000, 3:30 am
Original Member

Programs: UAL, Hyatt, Hilton, Shangri-La
This is great and all, but what about those in western Japan? I use KIX faithfully (besides going to NRT costs about an additonal 40,000 yen on top of air ticket cost) but UA and other * partners seem to be dropping like flies!

Hang in there United, don't make NRT your ONLY airport in Japan!
Old Oct 1, 2000, 8:33 am

Sadly, NH is planning to transfer its services ex-KIX to a low-cost subsidiary.

It's not only Star Alliance carriers but also others like BA that are reducing or even eliminating services ex-KIX.

Looks like NRT is the only airport in Japan that many people deem profitable.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 2:00 am

While Kix serves the second largest market in Japan emcompassing Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto, for some reasons or another, flights out of KIX do not sell well in premier classes. Sure, they have a high load-factor in economy class but I have been told there are so few full-fare first and business class passengers out of KIX that premier cabin sensitive carriers like BA dropped out of KIX immediately after the opening of the non-stop LHR-KIX flight. When KIX opened, UA had 5 flights daily; to SFO, LAX, HNL, ORD and SEL. Now only SFO flight remains...

Now ANA is dropping all the direct European flights out of KIX and also transferring all the Asian regional routes out of KIX to a new low-cost subsidiary called AIR JAPAN. First of AIR JAPAN flights will be twice daily KIX-SEL service as of next spring.

WEll,it seems that the airport is REALLY sinking deep....

[This message has been edited by Kaoru Kanetaka (edited 10-12-2000).]
Old Oct 12, 2000, 4:11 am

Why can't they put some of their latest equipment on European flights like JL? JL has put those planes with their new amenities on JFK, ORD and LHR routes, whereas NH is always expanding the routes of the "Super Style" to US routes only...

It almost makes me want to change to alternatives ex-SEL to Europe, as both SQ and CX have personal TVs (amongst other things) that NH don't provide on their European routes.

Enough complaining, except I really don't like the idea of a low-cost subsidy serving SEL. Whilst it's an obvious choice to make SEL a cost-cutting route because it yields so little, I still don't want to be on a cost-cut plane! I guess I'll be using the SEL-NRT UA codeshare...

It does seem that KIX is really going down, which is a shame because I find it quite nice and pleasant...

stargold

Old Oct 13, 2000, 3:09 am

Stargold,

Indeed, KIX is sinking faster and deeper than originally calculated by computer... So much is the pace of sinking, the airport authority will be spending upwards of several hundred million dollars in order to stop, well sinking.... This has obviously affected the second phase of the expansion of the airport. Dramatic downsizing of the second phase is anticipated.

BTW, is the new airport INCHON an off-shore airport? I mean is that built on the man-made island like KIX or partial land like HKG?

[This message has been edited by Kaoru Kanetaka (edited 10-13-2000).]
Old Oct 13, 2000, 6:57 am

I believe Inchon airport is on an actual island, like HKG. So far, they have experienced a slight sinking of the runway and there are allegations of corruptions and flimsy construction already-even before it has opened

The clever people who planned the airport thought that it would be a good idea to build the supposedly "new hub of asia" with no rail link to mainland and Seoul so for the first few years of the airport, it looks like limousine buses are the only form of transport available which won't break your bank (ie taxis)

I wish people who design and administrate the construction actually thought about what they're doing... it would make life so much easier...

Just a few thoughts...

stargold
Old Dec 20, 2000, 9:07 am

Originally posted by Kaoru Kanetaka:
While Kix serves the second largest market in Japan emcompassing Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto, for some reasons or another, flights out of KIX do not sell well in premier classes. Sure, they have a high load-factor in economy class but I have been told there are so few full-fare first and business class passengers out of KIX that premier cabin sensitive carriers like BA dropped out of KIX immediately after the opening of the non-stop LHR-KIX flight. When KIX opened, UA had 5 flights daily; to SFO, LAX, HNL, ORD and SEL. Now only SFO flight remains...

Now ANA is dropping all the direct European flights out of KIX and also transferring all the Asian regional routes out of KIX to a new low-cost subsidiary called AIR JAPAN. First of AIR JAPAN flights will be twice daily KIX-SEL service as of next spring.

WEll,it seems that the airport is REALLY sinking deep....

[This message has been edited by Kaoru Kanetaka (edited 10-12-2000).]
Old Dec 20, 2000, 9:09 am

I'm very sorry that I had trouble.

This is the first time to talk at FT!
As all advised, ANA is going to launch NQ (Air Japan) on Jan. 1, 2001 out of KIX. The first flight is for SEL and the next flight is where? May be KIX/HKG or KIX/BKK (Ifm not sure), but simplified service is expected unfortunately. ANA is planning to expand NQ flights to gain their competitive edge in Asia where their cordial service does not work well due to its short leg and flight time. I plan to fly with NQ at the end of next month and will report later.

Old Dec 20, 2000, 11:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
In the meantime, if you need to get to North America from KIX, AC has a daily flight to YVR, sterile transit, and US preclearance.

Not a bad way to get to the States if UA drops SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.