Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA award on partner (UA) and travel insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I have a family trip to Europe booked with ANA points on all partner airlines (primarily UA). Used CSP to pay the taxes/fees on the 88k business awards. I have two questions about how the travel insurance would work.

1. If I have to cancel pre trip, ANA redeposit fee is 3k points rather than $. How would Chase handle that?
2. If the trip is interrupted after it has begun, how does Chase handle that? I think I understand that they do not cover the cost of a return flight, but how would they handle the lost points since ANA awards are RT only?

I have purchased travel insurance in the past for international trips, but it doesn’t seem like those policies cover much more than Chase does (at least in terms of the type of coverage I need). If anyone has suggestions re travel insurance, please offer.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Chase wouldn’t handle anything with points. Your trip cost 88K points a person. The 3K re deposit comes out of those so if you cancel you get 85K back.

Chase won’t compensate you points for an interruption either, no insurance will. ANA will rebook you, or I think if a flight is completely cancelled then they might refund you half the points (quite rare though).
Old Feb 25, 2023, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Only ANA
Chase wouldn’t handle anything with points. Your trip cost 88K points a person. The 3K re deposit comes out of those so if you cancel you get 85K back.

Chase won’t compensate you points for an interruption either, no insurance will. ANA will rebook you, or I think if a flight is completely cancelled then they might refund you half the points (quite rare though).
Yes, I realize the 3k comes out of the canceled awards. But what if the issue happens in the middle of trip? Bc ANA only allows RT awards, there is no canceling the second half. And if the trip interruption is, say, illness rather than flight cancellation, what happens then? I read on flyertalk since posting that Chase reimburses at a rate of $.01/point but that was an older post.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Only ANA

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yes, I realize the 3k comes out of the canceled awards. But what if the issue happens in the middle of trip? Bc ANA only allows RT awards, there is no canceling the second half. And if the trip interruption is, say, illness rather than flight cancellation, what happens then? I read on flyertalk since posting that Chase reimburses at a rate of $.01/point but that was an older post.

​​​​​​​Actually from Chase:

What if You Paid for Your Trip Using Redeemable Chase Rewards? In the event of a loss, Rewards redeemed for travel will be reimbursed in an amount equal to their monetary value. If the monetary value of the redemption does not appear on the Trip itinerary or redemption confirmation issued by the Travel Supplier, we will reimburse each point redeemed at a rate of $.01 per reward unit. Redeposit fees imposed by a Rewards program administrator are also eligible for reimbursement.
https://static.chasecdn.com/content/...aSignature.pdf
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Thank you! At least there is some sort of reimbursement. Not much but in the event of a problem that’s helpful. So I guess worst case scenario for a return that is “interrupted” is $440 plus $30.
ual744777sta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.