Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joejones
TL;DR VERSION
  • ANA award seats are strictly limited in quantity. Unless you have status with the ANA program, there is usually only one first class seat and one business class seat made available per flight.
  • Awards become available for booking to ANA Mileage Club members 355 days before departure at 9am JST, and almost all First and Business Class award seats get booked within minutes at this time.
    • Most partner airlines (e.g. Virgin Atlantic and United) do not allow you to book this early.
    • If using ANA miles, you need to fly round-trip, which creates a catch-22 for itineraries starting in North America because there will be no return flight available yet.
  • After T-355, availability shows up at random times due to other people canceling their reservations. You have to be flexible and search frequently across multiple dates and cities.
  • If ANA upgrades a route's equipment to a 777-300ER with First Class, it will result in an award seat being available every day on the calendar. Get them while they're hot.
  • Some flights will show more award availability 2-3 weeks before departure, especially during low seasons.
  • Useful search tools include ANA's website, United's website, point.me (available to Amex MR cardholders), and seats.aero.
Print Wikipost

ANA Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by spicymochi
I know right?? Total BS.
After mastering the phone reservation system, I actually found that I was able to get 2J per flight. Mostly West Coast but also JFK.
spicymochi likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by samwell
After mastering the phone reservation system, I actually found that I was able to get 2J per flight. Mostly West Coast but also JFK.
mind to share how?
Old May 15, 2023, 9:39 pm

Would love to know the secret as well 😅 after all the research I've done, phone reservations seemed like the least reliable method of obtaining J since the wait times are so unreliable (1 to 2 hours long with wildly different times in between) and you'd have to complete the booking in less than two minutes before they get taken up. Is there something I'm missing?
Old May 15, 2023, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by mccx
mind to share how?
Originally Posted by Spagheddie
Would love to know the secret as well 😅 after all the research I've done, phone reservations seemed like the least reliable method of obtaining J since the wait times are so unreliable (1 to 2 hours long with wildly different times in between) and you'd have to complete the booking in less than two minutes before they get taken up. Is there something I'm missing?
This is what worked for me

https://thedailychurnpodcast.com/ep-...business-amex/
Old May 15, 2023, 10:10 pm

Did you call in to also book the updated inbound flight? That's where my main issue was.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:35 pm

Did you call in to also book the updated inbound flight? That's where my main issue was.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but, as referenced by TDC in that link, the best chance you have to outrace everyone is via the phone lines. Once a booking is made via phone then any/all modifications to that booking are done via phone.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:08 pm

Not sure exactly what you mean, but, as referenced by TDC in that link, the best chance you have to outrace everyone is via the phone lines. Once a booking is made via phone then any/all modifications to that booking are done via phone.
That's what I understand too. However, the issue I ran into is that the flights open up at exactly 9am JST and get booked in literally less than two minutes. So the only possible way for you to make a booking via phone is to be speaking with the representative exactly at 9am JST and have them go through the process immediately before the two minutes is up. This seems almost impossible because like I mentioned before, every time you call there's a 1-2 hour hold so it's VERY hard to time correctly. Even if you're 15-20 minutes off they won't wait with you unless you stall by talking about something random for that long. Not sure if there's something I'm missing that might make this whole process easier.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:18 pm

That's what I understand too. However, the issue I ran into is that the flights open up at exactly 9am JST and get booked in literally less than two minutes. So the only possible way for you to make a booking via phone is to be speaking with the representative exactly at 9am JST and have them go through the process immediately before the two minutes is up. This seems almost impossible because like I mentioned before, every time you call there's a 1-2 hour hold so it's VERY hard to time correctly. Even if you're 15-20 minutes off they won't wait with you unless you stall by talking about something random for that long. Not sure if there's something I'm missing that might make this whole process easier.
Make multiple phone calls, spaced 10-15 minutes apart (Google voice, P2's phone, etc.). One of them will break through at the right time.

If you are nice, speak slowly, and take the time to explain at the beginning what you're trying to do, I think you will have success on average. Some phone reps were willing to silently hold with me for ~10 minutes. And yes, you may have to bs/smalltalk a bit to wait out the time.
Old May 23, 2023, 8:11 pm

Sounds very meticulous... but I guess that's what you need to do to secure something like this
jaychang2016 likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
released an F seat (the suite) on 2/1/2024 JFK-HND if anyone can nab it
Old May 31, 2023, 6:49 am

All flights showing waitlisted that day now
Old May 31, 2023, 7:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Johnson_Palmtreeig
All flights showing waitlisted that day now
You were late for the action by one day. One day is too long by ANA award availability standard.

Last edited by Mama; May 31, 2023 at 8:20 am
Old May 31, 2023, 10:26 pm

Is the reservation change no longer functioning? I had the option to change the flight just last week but it seems to have disappeared from

https://aswbe-i.ana.co.jp/rei21h/int...s_service.xhtm
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
I see two F being released consistently for the past couple of days. 5/21/2024 has 2 F available right now (albeit, the dreaded night flight)
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: EB Diamond (SK*G), Accor Platinum
I have a question about the economy availability. I am searching for HND-BKK and found that there are plenty of seats until 14 July and then almost None or 1 seat since then (tried to see Aug, Sep, Oct... and on).

It seems like ANA releases more seats when time gets closer to the departure time. Is there anybody who knows the pattern? :P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.