Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joejones
TL;DR VERSION
  • ANA award seats are strictly limited in quantity. Unless you have status with the ANA program, there is usually only one first class seat and one business class seat made available per flight.
  • Awards become available for booking to ANA Mileage Club members 355 days before departure at 9am JST, and almost all First and Business Class award seats get booked within minutes at this time.
    • Most partner airlines (e.g. Virgin Atlantic and United) do not allow you to book this early.
    • If using ANA miles, you need to fly round-trip, which creates a catch-22 for itineraries starting in North America because there will be no return flight available yet.
  • After T-355, availability shows up at random times due to other people canceling their reservations. You have to be flexible and search frequently across multiple dates and cities.
  • If ANA upgrades a route's equipment to a 777-300ER with First Class, it will result in an award seat being available every day on the calendar. Get them while they're hot.
  • Some flights will show more award availability 2-3 weeks before departure, especially during low seasons.
  • Useful search tools include ANA's website, United's website, point.me (available to Amex MR cardholders), and seats.aero.
Print Wikipost

ANA Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Looks like it takes 2-3 days for Amex points to transfer in to ANA. Will they hold seats while points transfer in? I'm trying to get 4 J seats next summer and can status match to Platinum. Is there any hope of doing this 330-360 days out before partners get access to the awards?
No they will not hold… and I hate how it takes so long to transfer points. I’ve seen it take as long as 5 business days.

but also, I doubt you can get more than 2 seats, they only release 2x J and 2x F if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: *G (NH); OWS (JL); STE (KE)
Originally Posted by spicymochi
No they will not hold… and I hate how it takes so long to transfer points. I’ve seen it take as long as 5 business days.
I’m not sure if it was just a one-off but the Platinum desk in Japan recently gave me a 72-hour hold on an award booking while I finalized my schedule.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kaku_jinbutsu
I’m not sure if it was just a one-off but the Platinum desk in Japan recently gave me a 72-hour hold on an award booking while I finalized my schedule.
But I guess you had the points in your account?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: *G (NH); OWS (JL); STE (KE)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But I guess you had the points in your account?
I did have sufficient miles in my account to cover the ticket. So, my case was perhaps different from the above…my apologies!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kaku_jinbutsu
I did have sufficient miles in my account to cover the ticket. So, my case was perhaps different from the above…my apologies!
I don't fully know if that was the case, but in that aspect, at least two different situations.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:42 pm

Am I correct in my understanding that you need to book both outbound and inbound flight together? If I want to book ex-USA soon as award opens up, I'm out of luck as the inbound won't be opened for another week. Second question, when award availability opens up at 355 days is it for all members or only plat and diamond?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:10 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nas6034
Am I correct in my understanding that you need to book both outbound and inbound flight together? If I want to book ex-USA soon as award opens up, I'm out of luck as the inbound won't be opened for another week.
You could book the latest inbound now, then change it later to the date you want (date changes are free, but no route changes).
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:32 pm

Do l have a chance if I waitlisted for a few flights in different days?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
You could book the latest inbound now, then change it later to the date you want (date changes are free, but no route changes).
For US to Japan you can book 354 days out on ANA as both flights will be available, then change your inbound flight once your actual date is bookable. People traveling in the opposite direction have a 24 hour advantage as both directions are available on the 355th day.
jaychang2016 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:01 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Manuelaviajera
Do l have a chance if I waitlisted for a few flights in different days?
IMO, No. Waitlists rarely clear on NH. Don't bet on them!
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by zmnyc
For US to Japan you can book 354 days out on ANA as both flights will be available, then change your inbound flight once your actual date is bookable. People traveling in the opposite direction have a 24 hour advantage as both directions are available on the 355th day.
How likely is this to work? Do you need to be right on it at release time? I'm struggling to use my points that I have stranded on ANA.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jasonNYC85
How likely is this to work? Do you need to be right on it at release time? I'm struggling to use my points that I have stranded on ANA.
What route are you looking for? J or F? How many tickets?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
What route are you looking for? J or F? How many tickets?
2 tickets in J, NYC to Seoul - "when" is totally flexible.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jasonNYC85
2 tickets in J, NYC to Seoul - "when" is totally flexible.
I have found recently they are only releasing 1 J and 1 F seat on each east coast flight at 355 days out. Hopefully that will go back to 2 of each at some point.

If you are comfortable booking 21 days or less out I have seen flights with up to 8 J seats available pretty regularly. Benefit here is you can book these through partners (Virgin 95k RT). F seats are still pretty rare even at T-21 days.

hope this helps
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:05 am
pjs

I have found recently they are only releasing 1 J and 1 F seat on each east coast flight at 355 days out. Hopefully that will go back to 2 of each at some point.

If you are comfortable booking 21 days or less out I have seen flights with up to 8 J seats available pretty regularly. Benefit here is you can book these through partners (Virgin 95k RT). F seats are still pretty rare even at T-21 days.

hope this helps
I was able to book 2 J IAD-HND-SGN for next February about 3 weeks ago, but I was ANA Platinum at the time if that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.