Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787-9 ANA business only old?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:49 am
Original Poster

787-9 ANA business only old?

Is there only the ”old” business om 787, and are they upgrading it?

is there a page where you can see old and new cabin overview for ANA like f ex Mainly Miles has for Singapore?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by matore

is there a page where you can see old and new cabin overview for ANA like f ex Mainly Miles has for Singapore?
The 787-9 only have Business Staggered, 787-8 have business staggered for long haul and cradle seats for medium haul.

No intention to upgrade them have been announced.
matore and 24left like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

@matore
I've done a number of flights on a few of ANA's B789s, and I would hardly consider the seats to be old. Also, it would be helpful if you mentioned the flight number / route.

There is a thread "Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]", and I've posted a wide range of photos from different flights:

NH 804 - SIN-NRT

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072531-post461.html

NH 843 - HND-SIN

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31324943-post537.html

NH 842 - SIN-HND

(where I wrote "Loved this seat for the flight.")

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31325057-post541.html

There are quite a few other posts on the pages that follow my last post, with some discussion of seats. Also, as for the cabin layout, ANA's seat map pages are really detailed.
matore likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
@matore
I've done a number of flights on a few of ANA's B789s, and I would hardly consider the seats to be old. Also, it would be helpful if you mentioned the flight number / route.

There is a thread "Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]", and I've posted a wide range of photos from different flights:

NH 804 - SIN-NRT

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072531-post461.html

NH 843 - HND-SIN

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31324943-post537.html

NH 842 - SIN-HND

(where I wrote "Loved this seat for the flight.")

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31325057-post541.html

There are quite a few other posts on the pages that follow my last post, with some discussion of seats. Also, as for the cabin layout, ANA's seat map pages are really detailed.
Sure, BRU-NRT NH232 on Dec 8. I have made one flight with this cabin MNL-HND acutally, and I wasnt very impressed. Lets hope the food and service is a bit more ambitious on long haul
Actually we have the possiblity to rebook to Swiss 777 or maybe EVA 777, how are these in comparasion regarding only seat/sleep and food/drink? (the rest IFE etc is not an issue)
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sure, BRU-NRT NH232 on Dec 8. I have made one flight with this cabin MNL-HND acutally, and I wasnt very impressed. Lets hope the food and service is a bit more ambitious on long haul
Actually we have the possiblity to rebook to Swiss 777 or maybe EVA 777, how are these in comparasion regarding only seat/sleep and food/drink? (the rest IFE etc is not an issue)
Swiss has the standard Vantage flat seat on the 777, which is quite narrow and not very comfortable. A clear win for ANA in comfort. EVA has Cirrus reverse herring bone seats the long haul 777. I prefer this layout to the ANA one, but comfort wise, probably a same same.

ANA long haul food is far superior to short haul food served to MNL. It also far superior to anything Swiss serves, EVA is a bit more of a debate.
matore likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The 787-9 only have Business Staggered, 787-8 have business staggered for long haul and cradle seats for medium haul.
I've done a number of flights on a few of ANA's B789s, and I would hardly consider the seats to be old.
The long-haul 788s have an older version of the business staggered, with the possibility as a solo traveler of scoring a center throne seat. I find the business staggered on both 788 and 789 to be an excellent seat, though the newer 789 version is nicer (unless you can score aforementioned center throne on the 788).
NH is far superior to LX in both seat and food. We can argue which seat is better, BR's Cirrus or NH's business staggered (I prefer NH), but overall NH has IMO a much superior product. The food is definitely better than BR, and the service much more consistent. All things considered, NH is my favorite long-haul business class product.
matore, roberto99 and 24left like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Looks like you guys think we should stick to NH 787-9 before BR and LX then.
Now lets hope SQ opens award booking soon since they are my favourite. Anyone knows if and when?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Now lets hope SQ opens award booking soon since they are my favourite. Anyone knows if and when?
SQ is offering awards through KF, but not through partners. Last time I checked, TPAC availability was wide open.
matore likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:52 pm
Suspended

@matore
My experiences and views are slightly different than some of those noted above.

LX LAX-ZRH: I had the throne seat, 4A (B777-300ER). A lot of table and storage space, a bit of a cocoon but I liked the privacy. Slept well.
Food was meh, the hot food was lukewarm. I found it rather minimalist.
Crews were average.

LX ORD-ZRH: I had 5G (B777-300ER) and it was miserable. Narrow, and not much space and ended up bruised on all sides.
Food was great ORD-ZRH, selection and flavor.
Crews were indifferent.

LX ZRH-YUL: I had 7D (A330). Seat and surrounding space were very narrow or limited and pretty uncomfortable.
Food was OUTSTANDING - the meal offerings, the flavours and the presentation.
Crew were OUTSTANDING - and I wrote LX.

BR LAX-TPE, multiples of TPE-YYZ and YYZ-TPE, TPE-HKG
All flights these were their B777-300ER. Seats included mostly window and a few centre double, all in the main J/C cabin, rows 4 and 5.
Seats were some of the most comfortable I've ever flown and slept incredibly well (Same as with all my long-haul flights on CX and the same/similar seats).
BR HKG-TPE on their B78X. Spectacular new seats and features.
Food ranged from excellent to OUTSTANDING.
Service was impeccable on every single flight. On some flights, some of the crew were quite young, some didn't speak English well enough to understand my questions (I also tried other languages I speak, lol). Overall, BR, CX and SQ crews and service range from great to outstanding, but the BR crews are somewhat more functional and less warm.

NH
When I flew with them in F, all flights were on the B777-300ER old cabin.
All of my J/C flights with NH were regional Asia/SE Asia such as NRT and HND to SIN RT, all of which were on the B789s with the seat and cabin photos you saw above.
On the more recent of the combined F and J/C trips, I found the J/C experiences vastly superior to the F flights in terms of the crews and the food. I know many others on this forum had better experiences in F than I did and I certainly can't explain it.
Overall, though, I find NH a bit minimalist compared to say SQ, CX or BR, but I understand it. But nothing beats NH for orderliness and cleanliness.

There are many other *A and OW airlines I've flown long-haul but not listed here as you only mentioned NH, LX and BR in your posts.
Unlike others here, I've never flown the MNL route.

I would add the following: My work is in the field of consumer behaviour and such. I may notice more of crew behaviour than others. I may engage with them if I sense they are interested. I understand most people just want to board, eat, drink, sleep and fly to their destination. Plus, I know that cultural differences can have an effect.

If I knew for sure that I'd be on the NH B789, I would choose them slightly ahead of BR. Both would be way ahead of LX on my list.

The only other factor I would add is how much of the food and service may have changed in Covid Times.
matore likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:11 am
Original Poster

@matore
My experiences and views are slightly different than some of those noted above.

LX LAX-ZRH: I had the throne seat, 4A (B777-300ER). A lot of table and storage space, a bit of a cocoon but I liked the privacy. Slept well.
Food was meh, the hot food was lukewarm. I found it rather minimalist.
Crews were average.

LX ORD-ZRH: I had 5G (B777-300ER) and it was miserable. Narrow, and not much space and ended up bruised on all sides.
Food was great ORD-ZRH, selection and flavor.
Crews were indifferent.

LX ZRH-YUL: I had 7D (A330). Seat and surrounding space were very narrow or limited and pretty uncomfortable.
Food was OUTSTANDING - the meal offerings, the flavours and the presentation.
Crew were OUTSTANDING - and I wrote LX.

BR LAX-TPE, multiples of TPE-YYZ and YYZ-TPE, TPE-HKG
All flights these were their B777-300ER. Seats included mostly window and a few centre double, all in the main J/C cabin, rows 4 and 5.
Seats were some of the most comfortable I've ever flown and slept incredibly well (Same as with all my long-haul flights on CX and the same/similar seats).
BR HKG-TPE on their B78X. Spectacular new seats and features.
Food ranged from excellent to OUTSTANDING.
Service was impeccable on every single flight. On some flights, some of the crew were quite young, some didn't speak English well enough to understand my questions (I also tried other languages I speak, lol). Overall, BR, CX and SQ crews and service range from great to outstanding, but the BR crews are somewhat more functional and less warm.

NH
When I flew with them in F, all flights were on the B777-300ER old cabin.
All of my J/C flights with NH were regional Asia/SE Asia such as NRT and HND to SIN RT, all of which were on the B789s with the seat and cabin photos you saw above.
On the more recent of the combined F and J/C trips, I found the J/C experiences vastly superior to the F flights in terms of the crews and the food. I know many others on this forum had better experiences in F than I did and I certainly can't explain it.
Overall, though, I find NH a bit minimalist compared to say SQ, CX or BR, but I understand it. But nothing beats NH for orderliness and cleanliness.

There are many other *A and OW airlines I've flown long-haul but not listed here as you only mentioned NH, LX and BR in your posts.
Unlike others here, I've never flown the MNL route.

I would add the following: My work is in the field of consumer behaviour and such. I may notice more of crew behaviour than others. I may engage with them if I sense they are interested. I understand most people just want to board, eat, drink, sleep and fly to their destination. Plus, I know that cultural differences can have an effect.

If I knew for sure that I'd be on the NH B789, I would choose them slightly ahead of BR. Both would be way ahead of LX on my list.

The only other factor I would add is how much of the food and service may have changed in Covid Times.
Wow thank you for your info and experience. At the end of the day it seems like we should stick to the NH B789 booking we have. You write "If I knew for sure that I'd be on the NH B789, I would choose them slightly ahead of BR". What would be a worse option or eq change than the B789 with NH? I cant see that it could be switched to anyting other then a 777ER, or what do you mean?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow thank you for your info and experience. At the end of the day it seems like we should stick to the NH B789 booking we have. You write "If I knew for sure that I'd be on the NH B789, I would choose them slightly ahead of BR". What would be a worse option or eq change than the B789 with NH? I cant see that it could be switched to anyting other then a 777ER, or what do you mean?
NH is very stable in their assigned plane types. The risk of an equipment change is usually very low.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
NH is very stable in their assigned plane types. The risk of an equipment change is usually very low.
Agree.

It's not about a worse option. When I book my flights, it's always a balance of the following: the route and destination, the airline options available, I have no issues with connections where I can book on a single ticket, the type of aircraft and yes, weirdly, the seat and the lounge options available (either based on my ticket or status). Everyone has a different value or priority system.

So, using your example and choices, if I was booking and could fly NH on their B789 from say any of the west coast Canada/U.S. points, I might choose them with the connection in NRT or HND as a first choice over BR via TPE. But all the elements that matter to me, would have to come together.
matore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.