Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is F RT worth the hassle in our case?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Is F RT worth the hassle in our case?

With ANA's (permanent?) elimination of first-class cabins flying out of IAH, I decided to book our outbound leg out of LAX so we could definitely experience ANA first class at least one way. We will have to take a positioning flight to LAX, but that's not an issue at the beginning of our trip when we will be well-rested and excited to be traveling again.

However, even though I have the points, I am wondering if F with a required connection (e.g. HND-LAX-IAH) is worth it on the way back, since I can't think of anything less glamorous following a transpacific flight with lie-flat seats and bottomless champagne than the Southwest boarding cattle call. We could return to IAH nonstop in business, which seems like a perfectly nice experience. For people who have experienced both, is the F experience, especially when departing Japan, sufficiently "plussed" over the J experience to justify the hassle of having a connection at the end of our vacation?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:20 am

I flew ORD-HND-SYD...in F ORD-HND and then J to SYD (No F on that route) I thought NH's F was MILES ahead of their J... Miles.
flyertalker1982 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: ANA Pt
I'd fly J on the return assuming it's an evening flight. I usually fly daytime F to NRT from SFO, and nighttime J to sleep on the way back. Adding a connection would only reinforce a decision to fly back direct in J.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:38 pm

After you've flown business/first a few times for the novelty factor, a direct flight in economy (if that is what your budget allows for direct) is better than a connecting flight in First/Business. So obviously a direct flight in business is better than connecting in first. Both ways tbh.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by artygal90
However, even though I have the points, I am wondering if F with a required connection (e.g. HND-LAX-IAH) is worth it on the way back, since I can't think of anything less glamorous following a transpacific flight with lie-flat seats and bottomless champagne than the Southwest boarding cattle call. We could return to IAH nonstop in business, which seems like a perfectly nice experience. For people who have experienced both, is the F experience, especially when departing Japan, sufficiently "plussed" over the J experience to justify the hassle of having a connection at the end of our vacation?
I love NH F, it's probably the single thing I miss most about flying since lockdown. But I'd never reposition on a 3hr domestic econ just to connect to NH F when NH J nonstop is available.

If I absolutely had to do NH F one-way, then connecting via UA F IAH-LAX on the outbound makes more sense in order to avoid reclearing security and to interline checked bags (may not be applicable in your case). Connecting on the outbound also avoids customs/immigration clearance at LAX on the return, and the NH F lounge in HND isn't special. But yeah I'd really just take the NH J nonstop both ways.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 12, 2021 at 6:39 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by artygal90
I can't think of anything less glamorous following a transpacific flight with lie-flat seats and bottomless champagne than the Southwest boarding cattle call.
Honestly I get a kick out of taking ANA F to Japan, then getting on the subway and checking into a hostel dorm. Extreme highs and lows!

ANA F is lovely but it's definitely not worth the separate ticket connection. Especially if you get delayed, you don't want to spend your flight stressing about if you will land early enough to make it to the next flight. Go for the nonstop J.
AJ747M likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
I thought NH's F was MILES ahead of their J... Miles.
That's a lot of miles!!!
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the feedback everyone - I'll book our return in J without any FOMO.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:43 pm

I would also fly J back to the US if TYO -> LAX flight is a night departure flight. I have read on this ANA forum elsewhere of unsatisfactory F services they received on these flights. It doesn't mean ANA reduced the quality of F service on them but rather that is the standard ANA has been keeping on these flights. To me, the pictures of the F food served on them looked still decent. Probably a little better than regular J "full" service (non-night time departure flights) food.

I would be happy flying J if it is a day-time departure (full service) flight out of TYO. I would still take J class even if the flight is non-day-time one. In that way I can at least comfortably sitting & sleeping and picking all the small dishes & drinks they have on their menu. With Southwest, you get a bag of peanuts and a coke for 3 hours with no social distancing....

michaelmorio
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I would also fly J back to the US if TYO -> LAX flight is a night departure flight. I have read on this ANA forum elsewhere of unsatisfactory F services they received on these flights. It doesn't mean ANA reduced the quality of F service on them but rather that is the standard ANA has been keeping on these flights. To me, the pictures of the F food served on them looked still decent. Probably a little better than regular J "full" service (non-night time departure flights) food.
It's just that the late night flights like NH105/106 don't have the "full" dinner service. With a midnight-ish departure time on NH106, I'm fine with this. I've even skipped eating after takeoff (amusingly, the FAs always seem disappointed when I don't) and even if I do eat, I'm not going to complain about pairing my soraton with Krug and/or Hibiki 17. I certainly wouldn't change my departure time to a less-desirable one much less switch departure airport to NRT from HND just to get dinner.

I fully understand that for some people, flying NH F might be a one-time experience so they want to maximize it, but I just don't give an in-flight meal much priority - not least of all over maximizing my time in Japan.

OTOH, I'm perfectly happy if people avoid the night flights so there are more award seats for me.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
I've never flown NH in F, so maybe my take is ill informed, but if it were me, I'd fly F on the outbound and take the nonstop back in business to IAH for the reasons you outline. In fact, on two other FF itineraries I had booked with NH (both covid cancelled), my wife and I (LAX based, so no connection) were booked in F on the outbound and business on the return...essentially to save a few FF miles and with the thought that by the end of the trip we'd just want to sleep on the way back and NH in business (which I've flown) is still better than most.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:10 am

Have been lucky enough to do ANA F a few times over the course of the pandemic - mostly from JFK but also did LA the last time around and the difference in food service is stark. Still a fantastic experience. It had been quite a while since I flew their 787 J - which I used to love - but am totally spoiled now and was glad my 9 hour flight from HNL was a day flight and that I wasn’t trying to sleep (total first world problem). But I’m 6’3”+ with broadish shoulders and size 14 feet so I really don’t fit well in the seat or footwell. It’s a bummer because I much prefer the humidity and cabin altitude of the 787 vs the 777.

Only you can make the call re: connecting or not. My last flight back, the crazy storm hit Texas while I was over the pacific so by the time I landed in LA the airports were closed and I was stuck in LA for nearly 5 days lol.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
I would say it is probably worth the connecting flight if it is your first time flying First, since the ANA first experience is quite nice. I like the higher posters idea of taking F on the outbound and the direct J on the inbound. The marginal benefit of the second first class flight is fairly low and it is nice to not deal with a domestic connection after already flying for many hours (even on first).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.