Search

SFO to TYO -- boarding restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus
SFO to TYO -- boarding restrictions?

Hi all,

I'm looking to book a flight from SFO to TYO in mid-November. We are traveling on official US military orders, but want to book our own accommodations and wanted to see if anyone could point us in the direction of any boarding policies/restrictions? For example, do we need a negative COVID test within a certain amount of time? Do we need any paperwork beyond our official orders?

I appreciate any help, thanks,
Sean
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
US military travelling to be stationed in Japan does not travel under rules and guidelines made public by the Japanese government. You would probably need to check with section of the US military responsible for your transfer to Japan.

I have not noticed many posts from US military staff stationed in Japan, so the likelihood of people knowing in the ANA forum is probably not too big. But you could be lucky.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You'll need to satisfy the airline and also meet the requirements for Japan. My impression is that military and their families are treated somewhat like embassy staff and their families and are often exempt from quarantine, etc. requirements providing that they travel directly to the base.

However, doesn't the Fly America act, or whatever it's called, require travel on USA carriers when the government is paying unless there's no alternative, however unreasonable in terms of schedule, routings, connection times, etc. unless you have a mission-related exemption.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Fly America Act allows for US carrier codeshare on foreign carriers. So UA code on ANA is fine.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Fly America Act allows for US carrier codeshare on foreign carriers. So UA code on ANA is fine.
I know it’s getting off topic, but NH code should be ok as well because of the joint venture?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus
Well also we're going to pay out of pocket on miles cause we didn't like the alternative. Anyone know if J is worth it on ANA right now? There's saver space, but how curtailed is the in-flight offerings?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSNRTSFOICH
Well also we're going to pay out of pocket on miles cause we didn't like the alternative. Anyone know if J is worth it on ANA right now? There's saver space, but how curtailed is the in-flight offerings?
The pre flight champagne is sparkling wine, the slippers are not the usual nice ones but some flimsy ones not even worthy of a Holiday Inn, the rice is not freshly steamed onboard but reheated, and the food is not plated onboard.

But generally it is still very nice, and on the sum of things the service reductions rather minor.
​​​​​​.
sydunipete likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by kkjay77
I know it’s getting off topic, but NH code should be ok as well because of the joint venture?
It's complicated

Do note that the NH fare basis is cheaper than UA due to lack of YQ (for now). (Think both stopped charging yq) Upgrading using miles will differ depending which farebasis/codeshare/airline stock you use.
F​​​​or UA metal, they usually always offer a cash buyout (sometimes reasonable, sometimes not). For ANA metal, bid for upgrade works on some fare classes

Fare loads vary a lot, helps a lot if you can pick a date and stay with economy lieflat. Also, UA &nh offers unlimited change fee waiver til eoy, which may help for switching dates on the fly if cabin is more empty. , Fare difference at apply, but I think both ua/nh opens up all fare classes til departure(check if your fare has advance purchase requirement)

https://www.gsa.gov/policy-regulatio...ly-america-act

Codesharing

Occasionally, two or more airlines will “codeshare” a flight by publishing and marketing the same flight under their own airline designators and flight numbers. You can purchase a seat on each airline’s designator and flight number, but the flight is only operated by one of the cooperating airlines. To comply with Fly America regulations, you must purchase the flight via the U.S. airline’s designator and flight number if the flight is shared between a U.S. and a foreign airline
exceptions

Exceptions to the Fly America Act

There are some circumstances where it’s not reasonable to use a U.S. flag air carrier, and you can make an exception to the Fly America Act. These circumstances are:W

#5 Whenthere is an applicable Open Skies Agreement in effect that meets the requirements of the Fly America Act.

The exceptions provided by the Open Skies Agreements for government-funded travel do not apply if your transportation is funded by the Department of Defense (DOD).

​​​​​​

Last edited by paperwastage; Nov 6, 2020 at 2:48 am
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The pre flight champagne is sparkling wine, the slippers are not the usual nice ones but some flimsy ones not even worthy of a Holiday Inn, the rice is not freshly steamed onboard but reheated, and the food is not plated onboard.

But generally it is still very nice, and on the sum of things the service reductions rather minor.
​​​​​​.
I flew NH from SYD-HND in late June and this would be my summary too. Everything was aimed at reducing FA / passenger interaction. Masks were mandatory, front galley / toilets were closed, meals were served on a single tray, I don't remember any hot towels. But it was still comfortable. My review (with photos) is in the trip report section. (Sydney to Stockholm with *A during Covid-19 (NH/LH J))

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.