Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Why does ANA operate a less effective 2nd airside transfer bus option at HND?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 5:24 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I took this bus before the virus situation but just remembered and now wanted to find out more from the experts here.

I was at HND, transferring from domestic to international. And thinking that the transfer slip I received (attached JPG) must mean that the ANA dedicated option was more efficient and speedy, I took their provided airside transfer bus...

Only to find out that the bus not only takes longer, follows a more convoluted path, and runs less frequently -- but then dumps you in the same public / landside area to have to clear security just like the other bus.

Why in the world does ANA operate this option then? What is the point? Is there some secret purpose to this bus that serves a special purpose? Are you supposed to get the hint that you should take the public bus? Wonderfully produced slip of information, and organized service with attendants and everything, but pointless...

Old May 26, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TA
Why in the world does ANA operate this option then? What is the point? Is there some secret purpose to this bus that serves a special purpose? Are you supposed to get the hint that you should take the public bus? Wonderfully produced slip of information, and organized service with attendants and everything, but pointless...
It is provided as a courtesy. Don't think too much.

FWIW - unless HND goes underground, there will be never any easy transit from T1/2 to T3, given the Runway 34L/16R in between.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
It is a way to have control of the customer experience "end to end".
ANA of course has no say as to how/when/if the airport provided free shuttle bus will operate. For example the current situation (link)
So, ANA decided to also offer their own bus to mitigate this kind of disruptions.
They (ANA) could add the courtesy to explain that the ANA bus is slower than the airport bus, but they apparently see no need to.
Remember, the bread and butter of these Domestic/International transfers at HND are Japanese retirees and families on "tour packages" coming from the various regions of Japan.
People not in a hurry, prefer not to have to figure out the HND transfer themselves, prefer to "leave everything to ANA".
Just FYI.

Last edited by Tokyoite; May 27, 2020 at 8:28 am
Old May 27, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Is my eyesight pretty bad, or is it not written rather clearly on the leaflet that the ANA bus takes more time?

Depending on where in the terminal you come from, the walk to the landside bus can bit a bit longer, but nothing to make the overall trip time the same.

My best guess for reason would also be the "ANA service all the way argument", I can't see any better reason. If they have passengers with tight connections, they know where they have them all the way...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.