FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1991206-forced-gate-check-carry-ons-then-hit-600-excess-baggage-fee.html)

Kneel Oct 16, 2019 5:18 am

Some great lessons here:
  1. Never allow forced carry-on gate checked luggage to be tagged to final destination on another airline.
  2. In such a case, insist that carry-on luggage be returned at the arrival gate like gate-checked carry-one on small planes.
  3. Obtain written confirmation at departure gate that there will be no additional charges.

This is clearly the responsibility of the airline that gate-checked the luggage. Small claims court is another option if credit card chargeback fails.

Often1 Oct 16, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Kneel (Post 31633742)
Some great lessons here:
  1. Never allow forced carry-on gate checked luggage to be tagged to final destination on another airline.
  2. In such a case, insist that carry-on luggage be returned at the arrival gate like gate-checked carry-one on small planes.
  3. Obtain written confirmation at departure gate that there will be no additional charges.

This is clearly the responsibility of the airline that gate-checked the luggage. Small claims court is another option if credit card chargeback fails.

All three interesting notional ideas. None of them practical.

1. Short-checking is a poor idea, especially on a 2-hour connection with a 60-minute bag drop deadline.
2. Arrival gate delivery on standard aircraft is only for wheelchairs & strollers. Simply not happening.
3. Written confirmation is not going to happen because it is untrue.

As noted, most carriers would simply never have charged and, if they had, would issue a refund on reviewing and agreeing with the passenger's fact version. Not these guys.

ulxima Oct 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Have we got similar baggage horror stories with interline across OneWorld or SkyTeam airlines?

U!

pewpew Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ulxima (Post 31642825)
Have we got similar baggage horror stories with interline across OneWorld or SkyTeam airlines?

U!

The only ones I've heard were interlining across separate tickets. I've never heard a story where a pax was forced to check a compliant bag and then had to pay for it to another carrier.

I know UA-HA interlines never charged for taking bags above the HA allowance but meeting the UA elite allowance (but then the pax would pay excess luggage fees on the return if checking in with HA). Similarly, when AC allowed 3x32kg for *G, I checked 3 bags on an itinerary where the last carrier was LH, and they never charged me.

alangore Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm

If there's one thing I hate, it's forced gate checks. There should be two international consumer regulations on this practice, and you would see it suddenly become extremely rare:

1. A forced gate check shall not result in any extra fees paid.
2. The carrier would be automatically liable for any valuable items in such baggage, no questions asked. Everyone knows that your cameras, jewelry, prescriptions, etc. must ride in your carry-on.

freed0m Oct 18, 2019 10:40 pm

It is entirely caused by Air Canada did not pay ANA for additional checkin luggage. No way ANA would absorb it for no reason.

CanadianWings Oct 21, 2019 9:46 am

The particular baggage check-in was processed by Air Canada without
providing any excess baggage ticket or coupon to the passengers who
have interline connection with another air carrier.
Has this actually ever happened to anyone with gate-checks and multi-airline itineraries? I've never heard of such a thing where a carrier would provide "proof of gate-checked bag" coupons to show to gate agents on connecting flights with other carriers.

Never allow forced carry-on gate checked luggage to be tagged to final destination on another airline.
While this is an obvious thing to do, I have seen gate agents become rude and hostile to passengers if they don't comply and gate check the bag anyway.

This is clearly the responsibility of the airline that gate-checked the luggage.

It is entirely caused by Air Canada
I do agree with this and have sent them an email about what happened. The compensation will probably be one of those "15% off base fare" codes so I'm not expecting much when they eventually reply.

jmastron Oct 22, 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31644058)
It is entirely caused by Air Canada did not pay ANA for additional checkin luggage. No way ANA would absorb it for no reason.

ANA and Air Canada are business partners. ANA sold a single ticket from YYC to MNL, including a flight on their partner, that had an included checked baggage and carry-on baggage allowance that the OP was within. AC forced the legal carryon bags to be checked to the destination, which is not a chargeable event on any airline. ANA mistakenly charged the OP for said carryon bags. That's should be the crux of the credit card dispute, having exhausted direct attempts to resolve with the merchant and their partner.

Obviously there's some paperwork between AC and ANA that is needed, and AC may need to pay ANA (either the full amount or whatever discount is in their business contracts) but that really shouldn't be the OP's problem. ANA can and should refund and then resolve it internally with their partner.

freed0m Oct 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron (Post 31657151)
ANA and Air Canada are business partners. ANA sold a single ticket from YYC to MNL, including a flight on their partner, that had an included checked baggage and carry-on baggage allowance that the OP was within. AC forced the legal carryon bags to be checked to the destination, which is not a chargeable event on any airline. ANA mistakenly charged the OP for said carryon bags. That's should be the crux of the credit card dispute, having exhausted direct attempts to resolve with the merchant and their partner.

Obviously there's some paperwork between AC and ANA that is needed, and AC may need to pay ANA (either the full amount or whatever discount is in their business contracts) but that really shouldn't be the OP's problem. ANA can and should refund and then resolve it internally with their partner.

ANA ticket did not include additional luggage allowance, so what's ANA's mistake charging for additional luggage? If Air Canada made a mistake, it is Air Canada's problem, not ANA's.

gengar Oct 23, 2019 1:57 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31644058)

What exactly did ANA "absorb" here?

freed0m Oct 23, 2019 2:09 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31657657)
What exactly did ANA "absorb" here?

charges for additional checkin luggage, which ANA has no reason to absorb.

gengar Oct 23, 2019 2:14 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31657672)
charges for additional checkin luggage, which ANA has no reason to absorb.

ANA certainly didn't absorb the baggage fee - OP would never have checked the bags in with ANA. At most, ANA absorbed some baggage handling cost, which is negligible compared to the charge they are levying on OP.

I agree that AC is the responsible party in this. But acting like ANA had to "absorb" $600 in baggage fees is absurd.

freed0m Oct 23, 2019 2:59 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31657683)
ANA certainly didn't absorb the baggage fee - OP would never have checked the bags in with ANA. At most, ANA absorbed some baggage handling cost, which is negligible compared to the charge they are levying on OP.

I agree that AC is the responsible party in this. But acting like ANA had to "absorb" $600 in baggage fees is absurd.

It does not matter what it costs ANA. When you buy ticket, you agree to the fare rules.

Do you mean if there is more space in the aircraft, ANA should just let everyone check in more bags?

Which airline do you run? I would like to load a lot more bags into your aircrafts.

gengar Oct 23, 2019 3:44 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31657752)
It does not matter what it costs ANA. When you buy ticket, you agree to the fare rules.

Do you mean if there is more space in the aircraft, ANA should just let everyone check in more bags?

Which airline do you run? I would like to load a lot more bags into your aircrafts.

Please review the points already made by others in this thread, e.g., post 15 by TA. Again, it's simply absurd to suggest that NH "absorbed" the checked luggage fee.

freed0m Oct 23, 2019 5:01 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 31657820)
Please review the points already made by others in this thread, e.g., post 15 by TA. Again, it's simply absurd to suggest that NH "absorbed" the checked luggage fee.

I can’t understand your question. why would NH do that? NH charged additional baggage fee.