FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1991206-forced-gate-check-carry-ons-then-hit-600-excess-baggage-fee.html)

Often1 Jan 21, 20 5:54 pm

If there are two close to identical reports here on FT for AC-to-NH at YVR involving gate-checked bags, you can bet that there are dozens more.

The problem is that none of the existing rules or policies help. Without seeing the tickets, I suspect that the allowance was 2 bags per person and that AC simply checked the carryons without a fee (as it ought to do). That does not change the allowance for any segment, especially the long-haul on NH.

NH likely examines the baggage report, sees passengers with extra bags, cannot see a fee collected in the PNR notes and thus takes it on itself to do so.

On reflection, my suspicion with the "security at YVR" issue is that the bags were checked and on the sterile side of Customs for an international flight. There was no way to simply offload them either into the sterile area at the gate or for Customs without a passenger present. At least in these circumstances.

For the vast majority of passengers, the issue would have been unsettling, but would have been resolved with a credit card at the gate. One could then have sorted the issue or not between AC and NH afterwards. But, that isn't the case for people who simply lack those funds in a useful format, e.g. OP's parents who don't use credit cards.

pewpew Jan 21, 20 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31979056)
If there are two close to identical reports here on FT for AC-to-NH at YVR involving gate-checked bags, you can bet that there are dozens more.

The problem is that none of the existing rules or policies help. Without seeing the tickets, I suspect that the allowance was 2 bags per person and that AC simply checked the carryons without a fee (as it ought to do). That does not change the allowance for any segment, especially the long-haul on NH.

NH likely examines the baggage report, sees passengers with extra bags, cannot see a fee collected in the PNR notes and thus takes it on itself to do so.

On reflection, my suspicion with the "security at YVR" issue is that the bags were checked and on the sterile side of Customs for an international flight. There was no way to simply offload them either into the sterile area at the gate or for Customs without a passenger present. At least in these circumstances.

For the vast majority of passengers, the issue would have been unsettling, but would have been resolved with a credit card at the gate. One could then have sorted the issue or not between AC and NH afterwards. But, that isn't the case for people who simply lack those funds in a useful format, e.g. OP's parents who don't use credit cards.

Problem is, as we saw on the thread in the NH forum, it's not that trivial to settle the issue with NH afterwards

canadiancow Jan 21, 20 5:59 pm

I don't even know what I'd do in that situation. I don't think it's chargeback territory (voluntarily handing over your card to pay a $200 bag fee for NH to transport a third bag), but I also don't think NH or AC would reimburse me, based on the other incident.

sokolov Jan 21, 20 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31978424)
No, it would not qualify. It was not a denial due to overbooking.

Ah, but it was luggage overbooking.

canadiancow Jan 21, 20 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov (Post 31979110)
Ah, but it was luggage overbooking.

There was ample room for the luggage.

whatchamackallit03 Jan 21, 20 6:53 pm

So I followed up with ANA in YVR re: this and requested a notice of denied boarding.

ANA said they don’t issue this kind of document. We’re so sorry.

Anyone have first hand experience with this?
How did you go about with it?
I was able to save the conversation.

sokolov Jan 21, 20 7:00 pm

I would try to connect the other affected traveling party, then try to get the attention of a Japanese media outlet stressing the facts that

-ANA refused to accept cash
-this travelers did not have a credit card
-it was carry on luggage checked by order of AC

sbrower Jan 21, 20 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by whatchamackallit03 (Post 31979208)
So I followed up with ANA in YVR re: this and requested a notice of denied boarding.

ANA said they don’t issue this kind of document. We’re so sorry.

Anyone have first hand experience with this?
How did you go about with it?
I was able to save the conversation.

You have been told, several times, correctly, that this was not denied boarding as that term has any meaning in this discussion.

Often1 Jan 21, 20 7:09 pm

The story is too complex for the media. The NH response will be, "these are the rules". The AC response will be, "we wish that there was always enough room in the OH for all carryons, but there isn't".

If there are these 2 on FT, there are a 100 more out there who simply paid the $200 extra for a bag and shook their heads.

RangerNS Jan 21, 20 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31979255)

If there are these 2 on FT, there are a 100 more out there who simply paid the $200 extra for a bag and shook their heads.

And 2 that went to Gabby.

dav662 Jan 21, 20 7:31 pm

Yes I was looking to fly ANA via Japan to Asia but after seeing these two incidents I have changed my mind on flying ANA.

gengar Jan 21, 20 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov (Post 31979227)
I would try to connect the other affected traveling party, then try to get the attention of a Japanese media outlet stressing the facts that

-ANA refused to accept cash
-this travelers did not have a credit card
-it was carry on luggage checked by order of AC

There's no Japanese media outlet that would care about this. (Which speaks to the core root of why OP and others have had this problem.)

Travel bloggers outside of Japan should be all over this, as I noted in the other thread.

rankourabu Jan 21, 20 7:58 pm

One thing I dont understand here, how/why is Aeroplan involved in all this mid-trip, and after first segment has been flown?

RangerNS Jan 21, 20 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 31979423)
One thing I dont understand here, how/why is Aeroplan involved in all this mid-trip, and after first segment has been flown?

The general confusion that travel agents are in it for anything but themselves and provid meaningful service beyond knowing how to interact with systems that predate the magical UI of CICS.

paperwastage Jan 21, 20 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by dav662 (Post 31979335)
Yes I was looking to fly ANA via Japan to Asia but after seeing these two incidents I have changed my mind on flying ANA.

not sure why.

other airlines have done worse than this (and this is "solvable" via money and argument afterwards)