Waitlisting on ANA on awards booking...?

Old Jul 24, 19, 11:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 154
Waitlisting on ANA on awards booking...?

Hi everyone, looking for some help here on redeeming ANA J or F for next year. I've never booked ANA before so I have no idea on their consistency on releasing premium spaces in advance. Based on my searches on their website, it looks like they release 2 J's about 360 days out? I will need to book 3 premium cabins (most likely 2 J's and 1 F) from JFK to HKG. Here are my questions.
1) I see 2 J's and 1 F open for outbound but the calendar isn't far enough for return (eg. 7/4/2020 JFK to HKG, but want to spend 3 weeks in Asia), so if I select a return date of 7/12/2020 which is being waitlisted, can I just change the return date to a later date when the calendar opens up to a farther out date (eg. 7/25/2020) and w/o changing the outbound date of 7/04/2020?

2) What if I book a flight as described above, but couldn't secure a firm return date, what are the chances of getting approved on the waitlist? And when does ANA normally approve/clear their waitlist--within 1 to 2 weeks of departure? If so, I'll be in Asia by this time and what will happen to my return flight--will ANA just assign me any seats?

Sorry I am coming across as a newbie on this--that's because I am.

Thanks!
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:31 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 533
ANA doesn’t allow changes unless there is availability on every single sector (even the ones you already have booked). Which is extremely frustrating, especially on round the world tickets with many many sectors!
Merlinrnr is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:57 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 154
Thanks Merlinrnr! So in my situation if I book outbound JFK--HKG on 7/04/2020 which has 2 J's and 1 F's open, but everything on return dates are waitlisted (J's)...which I must make a selection as ANA doesn't allow one way bookings on awards, then how will I be assigned my waitlisted seats if they don't clear?
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:07 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 185
I didn't think you could you book (ticket) in the first place if there's only waitlist availability? (As per ANA: "Tickets will be issued as soon as all sectors of the flight award itinerary can be reserved.")

You just want a "dummy" return, allowing you to lock in the outbound awards until your actual return date becomes bookable at 355 days out, right?
Petdog is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:29 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by Petdog View Post
I didn't think you could you book (ticket) in the first place if there's only waitlist availability? (As per ANA: "Tickets will be issued as soon as all sectors of the flight award itinerary can be reserved.")

You just want a "dummy" return, allowing you to lock in the outbound awards until your actual return date becomes bookable at 355 days out, right?
Hi Petdog, I see. Well I do want to lock in the outbound for sure, but since all return dates as shown on the available calendar are currently waitlisted, I wouldn't be able to book my Round Trip awards (in J) then. What's the best way to go about this? Any suggestions?
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:58 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 185
Sorry, but this is beyond my knowledge.
Petdog is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:24 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,539
OP, NH does sometimes release > 2 J or F seats at ~360 days on some routes. I booked 3 NH J seats RT ORD-NRT HND-ORD a couple months ago.

Yes, I did see 3 F seats offered,
roberto99 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 12:40 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
OP, NH does sometimes release > 2 J or F seats at ~360 days on some routes. I booked 3 NH J seats RT ORD-NRT HND-ORD a couple months ago.

Yes, I did see 3 F seats offered,
roberto99, thanks for that data! Good to know there's 3 J's available at 360 out. But my question, using your example, is, if you booked ORD-NRT at 360 days out, you wouldn't be able to book the HND-ORD return route at the time you booked the outbound right as the calender doesn't go beyond that far (unless you went to Japan for only a week)? How were you able to book the return route? Thanks!
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 19, 9:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Japan
Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Posts: 1,506
The number of award seats depends on routes (and status).
Most US destinations have 3 F seats for general members on 355(not 360) days in advance.
If you are a platinum or above, usually 4 to 7 J seats are available for US destinations.

However, London and Frankfurt has only 1 F seat for all members (including Diamond).
And only 2 J seats for German destinations.
Wasabi Tofu is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 9:57 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
The number of award seats depends on routes (and status).
Most US destinations have 3 F seats for general members on 355(not 360) days in advance.
If you are a platinum or above, usually 4 to 7 J seats are available for US destinations.

However, London and Frankfurt has only 1 F seat for all members (including Diamond).
And only 2 J seats for German destinations.
Thanks for that info, Wasabi Tofu! I do see 3 J's outbound from the US, but with ANA opening up space at 355 days in advance--how am I able to book the return flight as the return date will surely be more than 365 outs (generally people take 2-3 weeks for an Asian trip), so if the outbound is opened at 355 days, how do you book the return date? That's where I'm stuck. Thanks!
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 11:23 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 185
One option is to book an immediate return (e.g., leaving the next day), then switch it when the actual day you want becomes available.
Petdog is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 11:53 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: BGI | CMH
Programs: AA Platinum Pro | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Posts: 262
I just went through this with booking my honeymoon.

I secured 2 F seats two days after the calender opened up for the departure. You have to wait 2 days after your intended depature dates to account for the change in time. Two days after my departure dates opened up on the calendar I booked a placeholder return. This secured the outbound availability. Once your Return dates open up on the calendar Call ANA to change the return portion of the flight to the dates you want. There's no charge or fee if you simply change the dates.

Things to note :
I found award space on my placeholder return dates, so my flight was ticketed upon booking and then was re-ticketed when my actual return dates with space available opened up.
You can not change the class of service or any airports without a 3000 mile fee. This also requires you to cancel the entire award and no way to confirm if space will reappear. It becomes a crap shoot if the return portion of your flight will have space available any time close to the return dates you want.
Shadowfactor is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:47 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by Petdog View Post
One option is to book an immediate return (e.g., leaving the next day), then switch it when the actual day you want becomes available.
Thanks Petdog!
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 8:53 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor View Post
I just went through this with booking my honeymoon.

I secured 2 F seats two days after the calender opened up for the departure. You have to wait 2 days after your intended depature dates to account for the change in time. Two days after my departure dates opened up on the calendar I booked a placeholder return. This secured the outbound availability. Once your Return dates open up on the calendar Call ANA to change the return portion of the flight to the dates you want. There's no charge or fee if you simply change the dates.

Things to note :
I found award space on my placeholder return dates, so my flight was ticketed upon booking and then was re-ticketed when my actual return dates with space available opened up.
You can not change the class of service or any airports without a 3000 mile fee. This also requires you to cancel the entire award and no way to confirm if space will reappear. It becomes a crap shoot if the return portion of your flight will have space available any time close to the return dates you want.
Thanks a bunch for that info Shadowfactor! Just to confirm if I am following what you've said. Is this similar to what Petdog mentioned--basically booking any return dates (aka placeholder return? not familiar w/the term) for the time being until the awards space open up for the actual date I want, then call ANA to change the return date portion? Obviously if the return date doesn't work out, then I can either cancel the whole booking (and pay the fee) and go through the same steps in booking to secure both outbound & inbound seats. Thanks for taking the time to confirm!
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 9:03 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: BGI | CMH
Programs: AA Platinum Pro | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
Thanks a bunch for that info Shadowfactor! Just to confirm if I am following what you've said. Is this similar to what Petdog mentioned--basically booking any return dates (aka placeholder return? not familiar w/the term) for the time being until the awards space open up for the actual date I want, then call ANA to change the return date portion? Obviously if the return date doesn't work out, then I can either cancel the whole booking (and pay the fee) and go through the same steps in booking to secure both outbound & inbound seats. Thanks for taking the time to confirm!
i couldn’t think of a better term, so I just made one up.

but yes you are correct. Book with any valid dates and then when the dates you want open up and if space is available. Call to switch.

You can switch multiple times. So if you see a date that might work for you a couple days before the date you really want. Switch to that and then go from there
Shadowfactor is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread