Wiki Posts
Search

ANA Compensation on Delays

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
ANA Compensation on Delays

Has anyone ever successfully received a higher cabin upgrade in a major delay? If not what kind of compensation do you usually ask for?

One time I flew NH812 from HKG-NRT and that flight delayed 2 hours so I missed the connection. I asked NH to bump me to F and they said no, you booked it with UA in J so we will put you back in NH J. No compensation for the delay.

My cousins NH812 arrived 7.5 hrs late yesterday and they've been pushed to the next flight to LAX (which is also at 4pm).

UA I know would have easily provided a $250 voucher per passenger in addition to the hotel stay. There compensation was 2,000JPY/PAX and a night of hotel.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
What was the reasons for the delays?

I don't think they will ever bump you to F for a delay. Were you on a UA award on NH?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What was the reasons for the delays?

I don't think they will ever bump you to F for a delay. Were you on a UA award on NH?
MX Delay 7.5 hrs at HKG.

My cousin booked a revenue ticket through UA that had NH metal on it.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
MX Delay 7.5 hrs at HKG.

My cousin booked a revenue ticket through UA that had NH metal on it.
I am a bit surprised that an overnight delay with hotel triggers no more than 2000 for food, that does not get anyone far in and around Narita. Unless meals were provided in the hotel

I would not expect any actual compensation for the inconvenience.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Yes 23 hour delay I felt NH could do better than $20 especially on a revenue ticket. Should they even bother emailing NH or only UA at this point?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes 23 hour delay I felt NH could do better than $20 especially on a revenue ticket. Should they even bother emailing NH or only UA at this point?
They will need to contact the operating carrier causing the delay. So NH.

I would send NH a brief factual mail, documenting reasonable out of pocket expenses for food, and see where that goes. Keeping in mind that there are very few, if any, legal obligations on NH here.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:06 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA had NOTHING to due with causing the delay. Contacting UA about this would be a waste of time and effort.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:01 pm

Ana conditions of carriage is a little weak on compensation /food during delays

(One meal and one snack for 4 hours or more)
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/mx/topics/notice171031/

Official *aliance policy isn't that good either
Reference Guide - Airports Information - Irregular Operations Handling

As others said above, NH has very little obligation, looks like they did follow their policy (as expected???)

UA's conditions of carriage isn't better, but they seem easier to throw ETCs at you to appease you... Guess OP should fly UA more if that's what they want

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 3, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They will need to contact the operating carrier causing the delay. So NH.

I would send NH a brief factual mail, documenting reasonable out of pocket expenses for food, and see where that goes. Keeping in mind that there are very few, if any, legal obligations on NH here.
Sounds good! Thanks!

Originally Posted by roberto99
UA had NOTHING to due with causing the delay. Contacting UA about this would be a waste of time and effort.
Yes but it's amazing how NH will blame that it was booked as a UA revenue ticket. (You prob know but they are a JV)

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Guess OP should fly UA more if that's what they want
UA would easily have reticketed the PAX to Haneda (HKG-HND-LAX) which would only pull the delay down to 4 hours. NH at HKG was not willing to reroute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.