Search

Searching award flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Searching award flights

Hello,

I'd like to book some award flights for my mother in law. I was wondering if she could do ICN / JFK and come back 3 weeks later roughly in July, Aug or Sep, in business class.
I used the website from ANA but I find no answer at all. Does that mean there is no seat at all in those 3 months?

What would you guys do in my case?
Any chance that the rep on the phone finds some seats?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
July August September 2019? That's peak travel season for summer vacation, will be tough to find awards now. Your best bet it short notice availability, typically two weeks or less before. But would probably mean that you need to book via a program that allows for one way bookings, so you can do each direction separately. The rsik of course that you might not get a ticket for one of the directions, or need a pretty creative routing.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
July August September 2019? That's peak travel season for summer vacation, will be tough to find awards now. Your best bet it short notice availability, typically two weeks or less before. But would probably mean that you need to book via a program that allows for one way bookings, so you can do each direction separately. The rsik of course that you might not get a ticket for one of the directions, or need a pretty creative routing.
​​​​​​
Thanks, so how long before should I book awards tickets on ANA? So far, I found nothing until Sep, and around Oct, I had some economy tickets only... I understand from you that if the website doesn't see anything, calling won't be very useful?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Thanks, so how long before should I book awards tickets on ANA? So far, I found nothing until Sep, and around Oct, I had some economy tickets only... I understand from you that if the website doesn't see anything, calling won't be very useful?
No, if ANA's website does not show availability, calling ANA will not help. Other airlines may have different availability, but then you'd need miles there.

ANA release their award inventory 360 days out, and popular options gets blocked quickly. Especially around peak travel periods.
Additonal inventory can be released, there is no guarantee however. Mostly, this tend to happen 14 days before for premium cabins. But as ANA allows for wait listing for awards, any additonal releases may not show, but just be booked immediately.

Check frequently, be flexible on routes, days, and carries, and something may pop up.
bizum likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:26 pm

>No, if ANA's website does not show availability, calling ANA will not help

Curious, is this the same with partner availability as well? Few years back I found that I could get better partner options when I called in.
These days it seems like the online system is better and more accurate.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bizum
>No, if ANA's website does not show availability, calling ANA will not help

Curious, is this the same with partner availability as well? Few years back I found that I could get better partner options when I called in.
These days it seems like the online system is better and more accurate.
I would not be surprised if partner codeshare on NH metal was more restricted in selection, and that could bring you up to normal NH levels by calling, as codeshares often work in weird ways. But I don't clearly know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.