Wiki Posts
Search

ANA F Upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
ANA F Upgrade question

I see plenty of flights with F5 O0 (4 assignable seats) at T - 7 days.

Does ANA convert any of these seats to O before T-1 day ?

Or would they rather fly with vacant F seats?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 1k650
I see plenty of flights with F5 O0 (4 assignable seats) at T - 7 days.

Does ANA convert any of these seats to O before T-1 day ?

Or would they rather fly with vacant F seats?
They may release a few, but more likely they will go NH members waitlisting for an upgrade. They will not fill the cabin with redemptions or upgrades.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Add-on question to this - where does the upgrade inventory come from? I’m considering using NH miles, Star miles or a UA GPU - but I know Star and UA come from O inventory. Does NH inventory come from another bucket, ie are my chances of upgrading higher?

And also - if you use NH miles, are you required to credit the flight to NH, or can you still earn elsewhere?
Old May 6, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
ANA would rather fly the cabin empty than fill it up with opups US Airlines’ style. Quite common with most Asian premium airlines.

ANA may release a seat or two a week to the departure. Not guaranteed, yet not common.

ANA miles can be used to wait list for awards, and those waitlisted take priority over other star Alliance partner FFPs (I.e. waitlists will be cleared first before inventory is released to other star FFPs).

No requirement to credit the original business class ticket to ANA. However, it will be tricky as ANA FFP number would already be attached to the ticket. You could try changing the FFP number back to what you want while in the F lounge, but why risk it?
Old May 6, 2019, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
No requirement to credit the original business class ticket to ANA. However, it will be tricky as ANA FFP number would already be attached to the ticket. You could try changing the FFP number back to what you want while in the F lounge, but why risk it?
Thanks. I asked because with AC, it would delete the upgrade and re-send you back to the original seat if you changed FFPs. The reason for crediting elsewhere is, I already made Superflyers status with NH, and am not looking to be Diamond - NH's requirements, and crediting %, is much too stingy. I can keep up United 1K and American EXP with the same or lower $ spend...
Old May 6, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Thanks. I asked because with AC, it would delete the upgrade and re-send you back to the original seat if you changed FFPs. The reason for crediting elsewhere is, I already made Superflyers status with NH, and am not looking to be Diamond - NH's requirements, and crediting %, is much too stingy. I can keep up United 1K and American EXP with the same or lower $ spend...
If you are a SF, then you are experienced with ANA FFP.
May I suggest you call the ANA team and get some answers?
Old May 6, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
If you are a SF, then you are experienced with ANA FFP.
May I suggest you call the ANA team and get some answers?
I guess yes, that’s an option, but I was hoping someone here knew so I wouldn’t need to.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Not directly related. But.
Recently, ANA announced some seat assignment in economy class will be charged. But fee waived for premium members.
So, I asked ANA, can we change FFP number to other airline's one after choosing seat as an ANA premium member.
The answer is YES. And, still you have privileges as an ANA premium members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.