ANA lowering fuel surcharges [when to book?]

Old Mar 28, 19, 3:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,974
ANA lowering fuel surcharges [when to book?]

I noticed ANA released a statement that they are lowering fuel surcharges as of April 1st. Does that mean I should wait until April 1st to make bookings or if I am booking flights for after april 1st I will automatically get the lower fuel surcharge price?
Red259 is online now  
Old Mar 28, 19, 3:57 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,108
Originally Posted by Red259 View Post
I noticed ANA released a statement that they are lowering fuel surcharges as of April 1st. Does that mean I should wait until April 1st to make bookings or if I am booking flights for after april 1st I will automatically get the lower fuel surcharge price?
@Red259

At least one thread already exists re ANA fuel surcharges. In fact, doing a Google search shows that there are at least 8 other similar threads going back to 2008.

Did ANA increase fuel charges overnight?


In this thread, partial quote of the last post

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
ANA (and JAL) are changing fuel surcharge every two months based on oil price.
....

Also, ANA has a fuel surcharge page

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/






Below the table are a list that include dates and points of sale. For eg.

Regardless of point of sales for sectors between Canada and Japan, itineraries originating in Canada are as follows:
(For tickets issued on/after August 1, 2018) CAD130
(For tickets issued on/after April 1, 2019) CAD86

And so on
24left is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 4:13 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,974
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@Red259

At least one thread already exists re ANA fuel surcharges. In fact, doing a Google search shows that there are at least 8 other similar threads going back to 2008.

Did ANA increase fuel charges overnight?


In this thread, partial quote of the last post




Also, ANA has a fuel surcharge page

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/






Below the table are a list that include dates and points of sale. For eg.

Regardless of point of sales for sectors between Canada and Japan, itineraries originating in Canada are as follows:
(For tickets issued on/after August 1, 2018) CAD130
(For tickets issued on/after April 1, 2019) CAD86

And so on
I have read that fuel surcharge page before but I was still confused hence the reason for my question. I followed through on another link on that page though and it appears to me that if I want the lower fuel surcharge I have to wait until 4/1 to make my award redemptions.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/servicei...cablefare.html
Red259 is online now  
Old Mar 28, 19, 4:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Posts: 6,548
Yeah it's based on your ticketing date. Waiting through the weekend will save you a bit but if this is a redemption I'd say do it now anyways. Not worth the risk of losing availability.

Originally Posted by Red259 View Post
I have read that fuel surcharge page before but I was still confused hence the reason for my question. I followed through on another link on that page though and it appears to me that if I want the lower fuel surcharge I have to wait until 4/1 to make my award redemptions.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/servicei...cablefare.html
Yoshi212 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 4:49 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,974
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
Yeah it's based on your ticketing date. Waiting through the weekend will save you a bit but if this is a redemption I'd say do it now anyways. Not worth the risk of losing availability.
Yea that is good advice, but at the moment I am still awaiting the points to transfer in to my account so I won't be able to make a move until that happens.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Red259 is online now  
Old Mar 31, 19, 2:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LAX
Posts: 88
Guessing this is common knowledge to the folks here...

Just changed an award flight & discovered ANA will refund the fuel surcharge difference after new rates go into effect. Presumably, they'll collect additional $ for a change if the surcharge goes up.
FlyingChuck is offline  
Old Apr 2, 19, 6:54 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,974
I take it to change an award to get the lower surcharge you actually have to find another available date to book? There is no way to do something that triggers the surcharge changes but keeos the same flights? I guess i could alter a domestic leg of my flight since there are a number of those flights i could chose from
Red259 is online now  
Old Apr 2, 19, 1:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Japan
Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Posts: 1,506
I succesfully changed my awards (booked before 1Apr, and frist segments coming).
1st award involves a shorthaul LH flight.
I change that to 1 hour later flight. get approx 10000JPY refund.
Now, I may change that flight to 1 hour earlier flight without fee :-)

2nd award involves a shorthaul LX flight. I changed that to 2 hour later flight. I got refund.

As you may guess, I didn't touch longhaul NH flights to/from Europe.
Wasabi Tofu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread