Wiki Posts
Search

ANA lowering fuel surcharges [when to book?]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
ANA lowering fuel surcharges [when to book?]

I noticed ANA released a statement that they are lowering fuel surcharges as of April 1st. Does that mean I should wait until April 1st to make bookings or if I am booking flights for after april 1st I will automatically get the lower fuel surcharge price?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Red259
I noticed ANA released a statement that they are lowering fuel surcharges as of April 1st. Does that mean I should wait until April 1st to make bookings or if I am booking flights for after april 1st I will automatically get the lower fuel surcharge price?
@Red259

At least one thread already exists re ANA fuel surcharges. In fact, doing a Google search shows that there are at least 8 other similar threads going back to 2008.

Did ANA increase fuel charges overnight?

In this thread, partial quote of the last post

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
ANA (and JAL) are changing fuel surcharge every two months based on oil price.

Also, ANA has a fuel surcharge page

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/

Below the table are a list that include dates and points of sale. For eg.

Regardless of point of sales for sectors between Canada and Japan, itineraries originating in Canada are as follows:
(For tickets issued on/after August 1, 2018) CAD130
(For tickets issued on/after April 1, 2019) CAD86

And so on
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
@Red259

At least one thread already exists re ANA fuel surcharges. In fact, doing a Google search shows that there are at least 8 other similar threads going back to 2008.

Did ANA increase fuel charges overnight?

In this thread, partial quote of the last post

Also, ANA has a fuel surcharge page

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/

Below the table are a list that include dates and points of sale. For eg.

Regardless of point of sales for sectors between Canada and Japan, itineraries originating in Canada are as follows:
(For tickets issued on/after August 1, 2018) CAD130
(For tickets issued on/after April 1, 2019) CAD86

And so on
I have read that fuel surcharge page before but I was still confused hence the reason for my question. I followed through on another link on that page though and it appears to me that if I want the lower fuel surcharge I have to wait until 4/1 to make my award redemptions.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/servicei...cablefare.html
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yeah it's based on your ticketing date. Waiting through the weekend will save you a bit but if this is a redemption I'd say do it now anyways. Not worth the risk of losing availability.

Originally Posted by Red259
I have read that fuel surcharge page before but I was still confused hence the reason for my question. I followed through on another link on that page though and it appears to me that if I want the lower fuel surcharge I have to wait until 4/1 to make my award redemptions.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/servicei...cablefare.html
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Yeah it's based on your ticketing date. Waiting through the weekend will save you a bit but if this is a redemption I'd say do it now anyways. Not worth the risk of losing availability.
Yea that is good advice, but at the moment I am still awaiting the points to transfer in to my account so I won't be able to make a move until that happens.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:06 pm

Guessing this is common knowledge to the folks here...

Just changed an award flight & discovered ANA will refund the fuel surcharge difference after new rates go into effect. Presumably, they'll collect additional $ for a change if the surcharge goes up.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

I take it to change an award to get the lower surcharge you actually have to find another available date to book? There is no way to do something that triggers the surcharge changes but keeos the same flights? I guess i could alter a domestic leg of my flight since there are a number of those flights i could chose from
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
I succesfully changed my awards (booked before 1Apr, and frist segments coming).
1st award involves a shorthaul LH flight.
I change that to 1 hour later flight. get approx 10000JPY refund.
Now, I may change that flight to 1 hour earlier flight without fee :-)

2nd award involves a shorthaul LX flight. I changed that to 2 hour later flight. I got refund.

As you may guess, I didn't touch longhaul NH flights to/from Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.