Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J Class Menus and Meals

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by karenkay

yes, thanks, that’s exactly what I was referring to. the website does refer to it as ordering a ‘special’ meal, so I was concerned I’d somehow miss something better—I suppose this is old UA thinking, where they would give you a coach special meal even if you were in business (on domestic flights, to be fair).

sounds like I can order my ‘special’ Japanese meal in advance and get exactly what I’m hoping for. Thanks!
Sorry, missed out on a 'not'. Changed the meaning quite a bit.

But yes, you can safely pre oder the Japanese meal
Old May 5, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Sorry, missed out on a 'not'. Changed the meaning quite a bit.

But yes, you can safely pre oder the Japanese meal
Ha! I wondered that...but assumed it’d still be okay. Appreciate your coming back to confirm. ^

(I see you missed an ‘r’ there as well...meal might be heavy on the fish, but not stinky!)

Last edited by karenkay; May 5, 2019 at 10:07 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:08 am

Food on flight from SEA

I just flew from SEA to NRT and was very impressed by the service and food in J class. Apologies for not having pictures to post with my commentary. I had the Japanese meal while my husband had the International steak meal. This was a nice chance for me to try some foods I haven’t encountered before, and I really enjoyed how pretty and thoughtful the plating was. I enjoyed the amuse, especially the cheese ball, though I wasn’t crazy about the somewhat soggy crackers that the crab and pate were served on. Overall I thought the small bites were fine - I enjoyed the sashimi and bite of lobster the most. I wasn’t a fan of the eel aspic or the pike conger with sweet potato noodles, mostly due to their texture. However, I was blown away by how delicious the grilled yellowtail was - it was a good portion and well seasoned. I don’t eat a ton of cooked fish but I’d happily eat this any day. The miso soup was also really tasty and was more flavorful than miso I’ve had in the US. I tried both sake selections available with my meal and found both to be a bit on the sweet side. I was stuffed from the meal and just had fruit and green tea for dessert. Their green tea has a really nice toasted flavor to it; I usually like to have sugar in tea but this was delicious on its own. My husband reports his steak came with broccolini and mushrooms. He said it was all cooked well and was tasty if not very creative.

For a snack towards the end of the flight I had the miso ramen and rice crackers. I’m pretty sure the ramen is instant but it was really flavorful and had a nice creamy consistency. It was a perfect snack towards the end of a long flight. Overall, I think this was the best food I’ve ever had in flight, and I am excited to try a new menu when we fly back!

eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Has is become the standard to serve the regional J meals with the tin foil covering still on? Happened both to and from Hong Kong. It is not a big thing, but it does not look very nice.

Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
. It is not a big thing, but it does not look very nice.

Hasn't happened to me yet. I think it's a big thing for NH but not for other carriers since NH usually isn't this lazy?
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Hasn't happened to me yet. I think it's a big thing for NH but not for other carriers since NH usually isn't this lazy?
I saw a couple of comments on this regarding the meal service on the A380 to Honolulu, as that is also regional meal service. I passed it off as growing pains on the A380 service. But now I had it on two flights.

At least my food arrived hot, and not as some reported on the A380 cold.

Yeah, it is kind of a big thing on NH. JAL does not do this, even BA or UA does not do this. It looks slobby.
cczzll likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
If you look back at my OP that started this thread, you'll see I was pretty pleased with the breakfast meal on NH 804 in Aug 2018. That was also my first flight on ANA's B789.

NH 843 HND-SIN June 2019

This breakfast was outstanding and significantly better than last year.

I'll assume it is part of the new menu and meals on international flights.

The hot meal portion was hot, the bread rolls were fresh, the yogurt and fruit was very nice.

Every single item here had flavour and it was the best breakfast I've had in a year.

While nice, I would have preferred some fruit instead.

Sure, bubbles for breakfast. I'm not driving anywhere.

First time that I noticed the ANA logo on the bottom of the glasses. Also, I thought this was a cool shot.

As I wrote upthread last year:
"The Ceylon tea was recommended and it was actually great. I had 2.
I always enjoy the small touches like having the milk served in a little side dish versus those tiny single-use creamers offered elsewhere."

On this flight, when I asked for the same tea, initially the crew said they didn't have it, which I thought strange.
A few minutes later, the purser of FA came by to tell me they found it.
Once again, it was perfect.
Presentation may not matter all the time, but little touches like this do make a difference.

Sealink likes this.

Last edited by 24left; Jul 20, 2019 at 8:27 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

NH 842 SIN-HND - June 2019

Outstanding crew and service and fantastic meal.

This was awesome.

Beautiful

This was quite good. The food was hot and the items all had nice flavours. The beef was a bit overcooked, but at least it could be cut.

There were 3 choices.

This cake was fantastic.

Ceylon tea. Again. Just perfect.

I would rate this flight, crew and food significantly higher than the NH 106 in F, HND-LAX which was one of the 4 sectors on this trip.

(I have some other non-meal photos from this flight which I will post separately.)
Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is interesting that NH does the long haul flow of J service to Singapore, where Honolulu gets the one tray regional service despite the flights being roughly the same length.

It is a lobg time since I have been to Singapore, but I seem to remember that JAL has the regional service flow. Maybe because I tend to do overnight flight.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It is interesting that NH does the long haul flow of J service to Singapore, where Honolulu gets the one tray regional service despite the flights being roughly the same length.

It is a lobg time since I have been to Singapore, but I seem to remember that JAL has the regional service flow. Maybe because I tend to do overnight flight.
I assume the significantly better food, drinks and service were due to the announcement of the improvements on international routes. Had read somewhere that HNL is a leisure route and so even if similar block-time to SIN, perhaps different focus?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
I assume the significantly better food, drinks and service were due to the announcement of the improvements on international routes. Had read somewhere that HNL is a leisure route and so even if similar block-time to SIN, perhaps different focus?
The yields on Singapore can't be great, lots of connecting traffic, lots of corporate agreements with heavy discounts, but indeed a lot of business traffic. It is probably a competitive step taken to try to win against JL and SQ. It is three quite premium airlines competing for the market. I never did SQ in J between Singapore and Tokyo, so I don't know how they structure their inflight service.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MEX NRT

flight departs at 2:20am, so the service flow consists of light bites after take off and a meal later. Strangely enough they turn the full lights on about 7 hours into the flight to serve the meal, I decided to sleep through this and egt my main meal about 1.5 hours before landing.

Pre departure plastic glass of awful sparkling wine.

Light snacks after take off. Came with a quite decent champagne.

Pre landing meal (was supposed to have been mid-flight meal)

Not bad, though the yoghurt was a bit strange addition. But for a 14 hour flight (admittedly night flight) I'd expect a bit more from the meal.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

MEX NRT

flight departs at 2:20am, so the service flow consists of light bites after take off and a meal later. Strangely enough they turn the full lights on about 7 hours into the flight to serve the meal, I decided to sleep through this and egt my main meal about 1.5 hours before landing.

Pre departure plastic glass of awful sparkling wine.

Light snacks after take off. Came with a quite decent champagne.

Pre landing meal (was supposed to have been mid-flight meal)

Not bad, though the yoghurt was a bit strange addition. But for a 14 hour flight (admittedly night flight) I'd expect a bit more from the meal.
Light snacks look cute. Wow, aside from the awful, plastic for PDB in J? Is this an ex-MEX thing?
Your pre-landing looks ok but very different than what I was presented.
When was your flight?
Was it before NH announced the improvements? Are the meal improvements on all routes on only certain ones?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Light snacks look cute. Wow, aside from the awful, plastic for PDB in J? Is this an ex-MEX thing?
Your pre-landing looks ok but very different than what I was presented.
When was your flight?
Was it before NH announced the improvements? Are the meal improvements on all routes on only certain ones?
This was in mid July, so after the improvements should have kicked in.

The light snacks were good, and at 2:20am perfect for a couple of glasses of champagne. Plan was to stay awake for a couple of hours, then sleep through to about 1.5 hours before landing, then have a meal, land at 6am and already be back on Tokyo time. Worked pretty well.
​​​
The meal was. It bad, it lighter and less good than the Hong Kong meal. There was an a la carte menu as well. Not too inspiring, and not too much left at 1.5 hours before landing. A lot was actually ordered at departure and seemingly along the way.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
The yields on Singapore can't be great, lots of connecting traffic, lots of corporate agreements with heavy discounts, but indeed a lot of business traffic. It is probably a competitive step taken to try to win against JL and SQ. It is three quite premium airlines competing for the market. I never did SQ in J between Singapore and Tokyo, so I don't know how they structure their inflight service.
Remember though that up till a year ago NRT-SIN was the only Asia route with F, so I don't think yields were that bad... although NH801/2 has been repeatedly downgraded from 77W to 789 and now to 78J so presumably the SQ/UA nonstops to the US have taken a chunk of premium pax away (since 801/2 connect to/from the US departure banks), and most O&D corporate traffic would opt for HND

NRT-SIN has always had the long-haul service flow even before the upgrades to J service — i.e. amuse, starters, main, dessert — here are pictures from late 2017 for example (the fish/seaweed thing on the starter tray was great while the chicken main was forgettable; Ippudo ramen — which was basically forced on me by the FA — just before landing hit the spot perfectly):

Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.