FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - J Class Menus and Meals
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:04 pm
truncated

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The yields on Singapore can't be great, lots of connecting traffic, lots of corporate agreements with heavy discounts, but indeed a lot of business traffic. It is probably a competitive step taken to try to win against JL and SQ. It is three quite premium airlines competing for the market. I never did SQ in J between Singapore and Tokyo, so I don't know how they structure their inflight service.
Remember though that up till a year ago NRT-SIN was the only Asia route with F, so I don't think yields were that bad... although NH801/2 has been repeatedly downgraded from 77W to 789 and now to 78J so presumably the SQ/UA nonstops to the US have taken a chunk of premium pax away (since 801/2 connect to/from the US departure banks), and most O&D corporate traffic would opt for HND

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is interesting that NH does the long haul flow of J service to Singapore, where Honolulu gets the one tray regional service despite the flights being roughly the same length.

It is a lobg time since I have been to Singapore, but I seem to remember that JAL has the regional service flow. Maybe because I tend to do overnight flight.
Originally Posted by 24left
I assume the significantly better food, drinks and service were due to the announcement of the improvements on international routes. Had read somewhere that HNL is a leisure route and so even if similar block-time to SIN, perhaps different focus?
NRT-SIN has always had the long-haul service flow even before the upgrades to J service — i.e. amuse, starters, main, dessert — here are pictures from late 2017 for example (the fish/seaweed thing on the starter tray was great while the chicken main was forgettable; Ippudo ramen — which was basically forced on me by the FA — just before landing hit the spot perfectly):