Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
wow thanks for the tip. I checked and indeed non Tokyo routes have a lot of SQ business class availability!!! Looks like it's 787-10 so that's a plus.
Although we wanted to experience the bullet train there was always ANA connection flights with lots of departure times from those second tier Japan cities to Tokyo. Good luck finding a great route.
lincoln boy likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelman0
damn! that messes up my honey moon plans. my wife has MR points but mine are all chase. I guess my only option is to book my wife RTW then transfer my points to United mileage/krisflyer/virgin and look for reward space separately?
Would the sign up bonus for Marriott & SPG cards be enough to get the RTW? 60,000 Marriott points -> 25,000 miles

PS If you happen to be sitting on a lot of Starwood or Marriott points, purchase a Marriott travel package prior to August 1.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
Would the sign up bonus for Marriott & SPG cards be enough to get the RTW? 60,000 Marriott points -> 25,000 miles

PS If you happen to be sitting on a lot of Starwood or Marriott points, purchase a Marriott travel package prior to August 1.
No it wouldn't, it would have been easier to google mileage requirements for ana rtw.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by travelman0
damn! that messes up my honey moon plans. my wife has MR points but mine are all chase. I guess my only option is to book my wife RTW then transfer my points to United mileage/krisflyer/virgin and look for reward space separately?

Originally Posted by rtgta
No it wouldn't, it would have been easier to google mileage requirements for ana rtw.
I think his original post indicated that his wife has 200k+ American Express points.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Yes, 200k MR will be enough for RTW for 2 BUT Amex MR != Marriott Rewards (also MR). Even with assumption that Amex SPG card will launch with 120k "Stariott" bonus points and Chase Marriott Card with 100k "Stariott" bonus points , that still leaves you with 220k, which are would be equal to 100k NH points

Last edited by rtgta; Jul 26, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Announced yesterday that it will be August 18. IT changes start on Saturday, August 18. Expected to be fully operational by Monday the 20th. At least that's the plan....
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by rtgta
Yes, 200k MR will be enough for RTW for 2 BUT Amex MR != Marriott Rewards (also MR). Even with assumption that Amex SPG card will launch with 120k "Stariott" bonus points and Chase Marriott Card with 100k "Stariott" bonus points , that still leaves you with 220k, which are would be equal to 100k NH points
You are absolutely correct! It makes a huge difference which flavor of MR points his wife has.

PS I was thinking they would both apply for cards. However, it might be difficult to meet the spend requirements for four cards.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy with Great Circle Map and ANA’s quoted mileage? I got my itinerary down to 21,350ish miles according to GCM, putting me at the 125,000 miles/person in business. I called to ticket and ANA said my route was 23,800ish. So now in redoing the itinerary (i.e. buying a couple of the segments on other carriers), I feel like I have to assume GCM is off by a couple thousand miles.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:34 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by thecurtisw
Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy with Great Circle Map and ANA’s quoted mileage? I got my itinerary down to 21,350ish miles according to GCM, putting me at the 125,000 miles/person in business. I called to ticket and ANA said my route was 23,800ish. So now in redoing the itinerary (i.e. buying a couple of the segments on other carriers), I feel like I have to assume GCM is off by a couple thousand miles.
I keep having the same problem planning my trip... i'm just going to manually calculate them out... GCM is way off from when i call ANA.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
I keep having the same problem planning my trip... i'm just going to manually calculate them out... GCM is way off from when i call ANA.
Originally Posted by thecurtisw
Have you compared it to this? Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority It is limited on how many legs you can enter but worth a test. It might be ANA.

John
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by john c wisconsin
Have you compared it to this? Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority It is limited on how many legs you can enter but worth a test. It might be ANA.

John
Update: WebFlyer gives the same exact mileage as GCM. 21,851.

I’ll give that a try. WebFlyer is what I typically use, but shifted to GC Map to be able to enter everything and people always seem to suggest it’s the gold standard with no one ever talking about my go-to WebFlyer, haha.

Last edited by thecurtisw; Jul 27, 2018 at 9:56 pm Reason: Update
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

Just booked 2 RTW business tickets for april-may 2019.

LAX-NRT on NH
HND-SIN on SQ
SIN-IST on SQ
SAW-BCN on TK
CDG-YUL-LAX on AC
~21k miles
Costed me 125k miles + $360 per person.
  • I used flightconnections.com to find what star alliances flights are possible.
  • I used United to search for award availability.
  • It was the most difficult to find availability trans-Atlantic, from Europe-USA.
  • The ANA agent over the phone knows exactly what they are doing, took me about ~40 minutes on the phone to book.
  • Got the eticket emailed to me ~3 hours later.
  • Overall, very smooth process and extremely excited!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Peerios
Just booked 2 RTW business tickets for april-may 2019.

LAX-NRT on NH
HND-SIN on SQ
SIN-IST on SQ
SAW-BCN on TK
CDG-YUL-LAX on AC
~21k miles
Costed me 125k miles + $360 per person.
  • I used flightconnections.com to find what star alliances flights are possible.
  • I used United to search for award availability.
  • It was the most difficult to find availability trans-Atlantic, from Europe-USA.
  • The ANA agent over the phone knows exactly what they are doing, took me about ~40 minutes on the phone to book.
  • Got the eticket emailed to me ~3 hours later.
  • Overall, very smooth process and extremely excited!
Great booking! Good airlines and hopefully you got some modern business class airplanes for those long hauls. Great job on the surcharges as well.

I worry a little for you if you are on a US passport getting from IST to SAW. There has been a lot of drama the last year with travel bans and getting visas in Turkey for US travelers. Not saying it can not be done but connecting and staying within IST is a lot different then leaving airport to go to another airport. Take my comments as someone who has not done this but read up a lot as we were going to connect in IST at one point for our RTW tickets.

Have fun!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:29 pm

Thank you all! My summary of my ANA RTW booking

Hi - I want to thank you all for sharing your experiences about booking the amazing ANA RTW. I learned a lot reading this thread (and the kind responses to my questions) and successfully booked an upcoming RTW. For 200K miles, I'm traveling to Italy, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe/Zambia), Madagascar, Kurdistan, Singapore, Bali, & Australia. Not to bad!

I actually put together a blog post outlining what I learned about RTW posts. Three of the posts outline different strategies to decide if a RTW is right for you - and the one post goes into detail on how to successfully book an ANA RTW. I hope it helps!

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...et-make-sense/
john c wisconsin likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by zach46290
as about $980 in taxes and fees.
Is this per person or for two people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.