Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Y seats in 777ER (264 config, 3-4-3)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Best Y seats in 777ER (264 config, 3-4-3)

Hi all - been trying to find some info (on FT and google), but couldn't get any good results, so creating a new thread and hoping those who've flown on this config in Y can chime in.

Mrs. and I are booking award Y tickets (via UA MP) on ANA SFO - NRT. Plane (777ER) is definitely on the 264 config version, and I'm trying to decide what are the best Y seats for us. Assuming Y is still at 34' pitch (getting conflicting info on FT), I have a few thoughts:

1. emergency exit row 30 B+C or H+J: guaranteed legroom, but nearby restroom can be bothersome

2. Row 24 B+C or H+J in the mini forward Y cabin: my fear is that it's a hard bulkhead, hence severely limiting legroom (I'm 6'2)

3. regular rows in D+E or F+G, no one will bother us to use the restroom, given 34' pitch should be adequate and no need for exit row.

Would really appreciate any firsthand experience and tips, thanks all!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
(2). there is plenty of leg space in the bulkhead.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:26 pm

Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but since the op is wondering about bulkhead rows... Do you guys ever worry about babies/bassinets, being on/near bulkhead rows? I just always turn down bulkhead rows on ANA's TPAC flights for this reason. But maybe this is a non-issue that I'm overthinking. Sitting mid-cabin does not guarantee there won't be a crying toddler nearby (as is often the case with my luck), and I'm not sure if bulkhead seating increases the chance of being affected by a crying kid any.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but since the op is wondering about bulkhead rows... Do you guys ever worry about babies/bassinets, being on/near bulkhead rows? I just always turn down bulkhead rows on ANA's TPAC flights for this reason. But maybe this is a non-issue that I'm overthinking. Sitting mid-cabin does not guarantee there won't be a crying toddler nearby (as is often the case with my luck), and I'm not sure if bulkhead seating increases the chance of being affected by a crying kid any.
In my experience, flights between N. America & Asia always seem to have babies/bassinets on board, YMMV. Note: >80% of my Asia flights are on Asian carriers.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
In my experience, flights between N. America & Asia always seem to have babies/bassinets on board, YMMV. Note: >80% of my Asia flights are on Asian carriers.
Does that deter you from taking a seat on/near bulkhead row?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
(2). there is plenty of leg space in the bulkhead.
Thanks for the response!

Would you recommend row 24 (bulkhead) or 30 (emergency exit), given your experience on this plane?

I have flown on ANA's 767 in Y at the bulkhead row, and it had plenty of space, so hoping the 777 will be the same...

Thanks again!
Old May 27, 2019, 4:12 pm

Any consensus on row 24 vs. row 30 on a 3-4-3 777W?
Old May 27, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by juhlee
Any consensus on row 24 vs. row 30 on a 3-4-3 777W?
Avoid the A and K seats in row 30, the shape of the wall means that there is literally no shoulder width. I could not sit normally in the A seats, I needed to twist my shoulder and upper body to have space enough. I asked to be moved as I could not sit there for a full flight. Not a problem in row 24. But, the bulkhead row seats are really narrow on the 10 abreast 77W.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Avoid the A and K seats in row 30, the shape of the wall means that there is literally no shoulder width. I could not sit normally in the A seats, I needed to twist my shoulder and upper body to have space enough. I asked to be moved as I could not sit there for a full flight. Not a problem in row 24. But, the bulkhead row seats are really narrow on the 10 abreast 77W.
Thanks for your reply!

I did end up sitting in 24C and was happy with my choice. The partition between PE and Y stretches across only the window and aisle seats, which gives passengers in the aisle seats (24C and 24H) extra room to stretch out. Of course, you're also kind of extending into the aisle, but I found that this wasn't really an issue except perhaps for when they brought the cart around. Even then, the FAs had to maneuver around the area where I would normally extend my legs anyway, because they had to get the cart shifted over and down the aisle in the Y cabin. (Sorry if my explanation isn't clear, but the takeaway is that you can extend your legs in 24C and 24H and not terribly inconvenience the FAs or other passengers.)

Agreed that the more problematic issue is seat width -- those bulkhead seats on the 3-4-3 configuration are indeed particularly narrow, and even seated next to my partner, I would have appreciated a few more inches of room. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of passenger traffic in the narrow aisle, because I only had to deal with the three rows of PE in front of me.

Nevertheless, I'd still probably grab 24C and 24H again if available. I prefer the mini cabin and being among the first Y passengers to be served, and I would rather avoid having to deal with passengers queuing for the restrooms next to me or in front of me (as would be the case in the exit row). And I'll take the narrower seat in exchange for the extra legroom any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.