Lounge access in ORD (connecting flight)

Old May 28, 19, 4:17 pm
G4L
Original Poster

Lounge access in ORD (connecting flight)

I am flying first class from HND to ORD and I have a connecting flight to Toronto (Terminal 2) 6 hours later.

Is it possible for me to use a first class lounge in ORD if one exists?
Old May 28, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by G4L View Post
I am flying first class from HND to ORD and I have a connecting flight to Toronto (Terminal 2) 6 hours later.

Is it possible for me to use a first class lounge in ORD if one exists?
There is no F lounge in ORD. Assuming your flight to Toronto is on Star Alliance, your lounge access will be based on class and status you have for the departing flight. If you are on a UA flight, that will be under the same rules as domestic US, so you would need a non UA *G status irrespective of class booked for any lounge access. if you are on AC I am not entirely sure. Either way, you will not have access to the Polaris Lounge.
Old May 28, 19, 7:27 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, it seems pretty clear that you can't enter even a United club if connecting from a Star Alliance flight, at least according to published rules (YMMV, though--it may help if it's on the same ticket)
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
Old May 28, 19, 7:32 pm
G4L
Original Poster

I have a business class AC flight to Toronto. It's a 6 hr stop over and I was hoping to use a shower after my long flight.
Old May 28, 19, 11:22 pm

Because you have a business class AC ticket, you can use any United Club, but not the United Polaris Lounge, as United has excluded Canada and Mexico from this if memory serves me correctly. Most United Clubs have a shower - would just check on the United website for specifics as ORD has a 3 or 4 United Clubs.
Old May 28, 19, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by hardworking21 View Post
Because you have a business class AC ticket, you can use any United Club, but not the United Polaris Lounge, as United has excluded Canada and Mexico from this if memory serves me correctly. Most United Clubs have a shower - would just check on the United website for specifics as ORD has a 3 or 4 United Clubs.
No domestic UCs have showers.
Old May 28, 19, 11:53 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
According to this webpage it looks like you will have access to a United Club (but not the Polaris Lounge) at ORD. Unfortunately none of the United Club seems to have showers. If you want to shower you can pay $22 (plus tax ?) for a day pass to the fitness center / pool at the Hilton attached to the terminal.
Old May 29, 19, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There is no F lounge in ORD. Assuming your flight to Toronto is on Star Alliance, your lounge access will be based on class and status you have for the departing flight. If you are on a UA flight, that will be under the same rules as domestic US, so you would need a non UA *G status irrespective of class booked for any lounge access. if you are on AC I am not entirely sure. Either way, you will not have access to the Polaris Lounge.
This isn't totally correct. United business class to Canada does give United Club access. In this case it is irrelevant as OP is travelling AC. Everyone else is correct that ANA F does not grant lounge access in ORD if arriving. Your departing flight is what grants lounge access in this case.

"United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Santiago. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador."
Old May 29, 19, 6:45 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by splicer100 View Post
This isn't totally correct. United business class to Canada does give United Club access. In this case it is irrelevant as OP is travelling AC. Everyone else is correct that ANA F does not grant lounge access in ORD if arriving. Your departing flight is what grants lounge access in this case.

"United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Santiago. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador."
When was Canada and Mexico added for lounge access? Used to be considered same as domestic first. Luckily I don't fly United enough to have noticed the change
Old May 29, 19, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
When was Canada and Mexico added for lounge access? Used to be considered same as domestic first. Luckily I don't fly United enough to have noticed the change
That is one area United excels in compared to other US carriers. I think both Delta and American consider Canada to be domestic for lounge access.

Search this Thread