Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Does ANA Have the Worst Long-Haul J Seat? 788 YVR-HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:52 pm

I recently took the 787 on a ANA domestic flight. Seems like they are lower to the ground, and somewhat less underseat storage space.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
No, anything out of YVR is not low yield as you state.

CX offers 2 daily flights out of YVR, in 777-300s, one of them has even First Class.
It was a bit odd, while on the subject of YVR, that AC, for a while marked YVR-KIX(since removed from the schedule) as "Rouge", which is the low-budget tourist division. Never understood the reasoning behind that.......if anything, that should have been standard Air Canada service.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RUAMKZ
It was a bit odd, while on the subject of YVR, that AC, for a while marked YVR-KIX(since removed from the schedule) as "Rouge", which is the low-budget tourist division. Never understood the reasoning behind that.......if anything, that should have been standard Air Canada service.
KIX is lower yield compared to Tokyo. That would make two times low...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:27 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down Not So Good...

Looked into flying this route last year. Once I saw the J class seats were cradle & not lie flat, I nixed this idea pronto!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by RUAMKZ
I recently took the 787 on a ANA domestic flight. Seems like they are lower to the ground, and somewhat less underseat storage space.
Domestic as in domestic flight ? This thread is about international 787, not domestic, and like I explained to another poster in another thread, you can't use one experience to base on all NH flights, as it is simply pointless. NH has domestic, intra-asia (intl-short), and international (intl-long), the domestic 787 use the slimline seats that you would never see that in international flights, and it doesnt have PTV neither.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Responding to BenSenise

KLM's new J class seats on their 747's are amazing! Their 777's not so nice.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Yes, 10+ hours. The flight I took was going west, scheduled to depart from YVR at 15:05 and arriving HND at 18:35. So that's 10.5 hours, hence my previous comment.

The seat was a recliner/cradle seat. For a flight 5 hours or less and particularly for a day flight, this would be just fine. But for a 10 hour flight, my question is whether there is another first tier airline offering such a J seat, particularly an airline considered 5-star.

A middle seat in the 2-4-2 configuration on other airlines is not desirable either, I agree. But if it's lie-flat or angle-flat, personally that is still much better than a recliner seat for a long flight.

Yes I could have taken a flight from SEA, but if I am in Canada and do not need to go to the United States, then I certainly won't transit to the United States. If the goal is simply to have a good J seat, there is no need to go to the U.S. for ANA. Several other airlines can get me to Asia with a decent seat.

Low yields from Canada? I am assuming other airlines are in the same boat, yet none of those that I know have a recliner seat.

And regarding doing some research, I feel the need to research only if I am flying a second tier airline and/or if the aircraft is old. I should not need to research if I will get a recliner on a long flight if I fly an airline like ANA. But even though I should not have to, just out of curiosity for having never flown ANA before, I did check out which aircraft it would be. So I did not skip the research. When I saw it was the 787 I was quite pleased at flying a new aircraft. I even went as far as checking on seatguru to see the layout and based on my flight number and date, I got the staggered / lie flat seat plan. Anyway this is not about bashing incorrect info from seatguru, which is why I did not even mention it in my original post. It's about which airlines fly with J recliner seats nowadays for long haul? Based on previous responses in this thread, I am assuming the answer is still that NH stands out in that respect.

Exbrit: I have not tried LH's A380 or 747-8 seat yet. Since these are flat beds, I suspect I would take that option vs NH's recliner.

For what it's worth, AC's high density 777 J seat is not great, but better than a recliner in my opinion.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
For those interested, there is a bit of information on ANA's plans for the 787 and its seating configurations on this page:

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/lo...s/787/airinfo/

I don't think I am seeing much information on here not already discussed here, but a nice little summary of the upcoming changes.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I got my flight changed. I will now transfer in ORD rather than YVR. The extra cost was about $350 which is a no brainer. If I am willing to pay for business class, then an extra $350 for a long flight is nothing. If I am willing to travel on a recliner, I will go in premium economy, not business.

I have to go through U.S. immigration which is a small inconvenience since the U.S. is not my final destination, but this option is still more desirable for me.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Responding to BenSenise

KLM's new J class seats on their 747's are amazing! Their 777's not so nice.
i've seen pics and they do indeed look nice but alas, not for YVR (yet?)
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escape4

I have to go through U.S. immigration which is a small inconvenience since the U.S. is not my final destination, but this option is still more desirable for me.
Small? I would hate to need to enter the US, recheck my bags, go through security AND pay $350 more for the pleasure of that...just for a little bit better business class seat.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Small? I would hate to need to enter the US, recheck my bags, go through security AND pay $350 more for the pleasure of that...just for a little bit better business class seat.
Well... personally I think the difference between a flat bed in 1-2-1 configuration and a recliner in 2-2-2 configuration is not "a little bit better". A recliner on a long flight is far worse than any other long-haul J product I have seen in years, which was my main point in this thread. If the difference was small, then of course I would not bother changing my flight, and also I would not ask if it's the worst seat or not, based on the opinion of others.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I probably would go through the inconvenience for the better seat as well. ^^
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Don't forget that NH's primary competitor (JL) serves this market (YVR) from NRT on an equally terrible 788 product featuring JL's angle-flat J instead of the lie-flat J that's starting to appear on their 789s and appears on their 777s and 767s.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787
Don't forget that NH's primary competitor (JL) serves this market (YVR) from NRT on an equally terrible 788 product featuring JL's angle-flat J instead of the lie-flat J that's starting to appear on their 789s and appears on their 777s and 767s.
The JL seat is not equally terrible, it is a good deal better for sleeping than the NH seat.
(The flat seats on the 767 are different from the 77W and 789 by the way)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.