Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Does ANA Have the Worst Long-Haul J Seat? 788 YVR-HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:31 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

I just had my first flight ever with NH: YVR-HND on 788 in J. I thought a new modern aircraft would mean a nice J seat, but unfortunately I was wrong. This is a seat/aircraft normally used for short flights, right? How can they offer this for a 10+ hour flight? Obviously I have not flown all airlines of the world, but I find this J product several notches below what I have flown before = AC CA AY BA QR EK UA AA LX LH TK JL CX OZ TG and I might be forgetting a few.

I realize NH must have other aircrafts used for long-haul and that for most flights their J seat is lie flat or angle flat. But for YVR-HND this is just unacceptable in my humble opinion.

For my return I will call NH and ask to be re-routed somewhere else.

So I am wondering if someone has seen a worst J seat for long haul flights on a first tier airline in the last 5 years? If so, which airline and which aircraft?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: aeroplan
worst longhaul J seats

I to would like to see opinions on this issue. Having just done an extensive review of TATL J seat reviews, LH appears to have terrible seats on both the A380, and the 747-8.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
What was so atrocious about the seat? The 787s, depending on variant, can be used for midhaul to longhaul. UA is using theirs to go to Melbourne and to Singapore which are farther than YVR-HND.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
What was so atrocious about the seat? The 787s, depending on variant, can be used for midhaul to longhaul. UA is using theirs to go to Melbourne and to Singapore which are farther than YVR-HND.
Currently YVR has the regional business cradle seat, not the business staggered. When UA is flying to Melbourne and Singapore they offer a seat that goes fully flat.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yeah that'd not work for me either.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Currently YVR has the regional business cradle seat, not the business staggered. When UA is flying to Melbourne and Singapore they offer a seat that goes fully flat.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
I reckon being in the middle 4 seats in Business on some of the United flights (777, 747 etc) although lie flat, can be a bit tough...more a question of seat arrangement rather than seat itself.

The thing I don't like about this ANA Regional Business cradle seat is the extremely limited controls and once you start to recline (if it works.. many seats don't seem to work very well), the seat comes closer to the tray table. So it's hard to recline a bit and comfortably use the tray table.. and I am not exactly a large person.

Comfort-wize whilst full reclined, I agree for long flights this is a let down in this day and age. I am fine with it for my 4-5 hour flights where I am doing more working than sleeping.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by escape4
I just had my first flight ever with NH: YVR-HND on 788 in J. I thought a new modern aircraft would mean a nice J seat, but unfortunately I was wrong. This is a seat/aircraft normally used for short flights, right? How can they offer this for a 10+ hour flight? Obviously I have not flown all airlines of the world, but I find this J product several notches below what I have flown before = AC CA AY BA QR EK UA AA LX LH TK JL CX OZ TG and I might be forgetting a few.

I realize NH must have other aircrafts used for long-haul and that for most flights their J seat is lie flat or angle flat. But for YVR-HND this is just unacceptable in my humble opinion.

So I am wondering if someone has seen a worst J seat for long haul flights on a first tier airline in the last 5 years? If so, which airline and which aircraft?
Lets try not to exaggerate this, HND-YVR is less that 10, not 10+, eastbound is less than 9.

You could have done your research ahead of time and fly NRT-SEA instead, then you will get the horizontal flat seat, the way NH feel is no difference than AC, anything out of YVR is low yield, more leisure travelers and less business travelers, just like AC use their high density 77W for YVR-HKG.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:10 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You could have done your research ahead of time and fly NRT-SEA instead, then you will get the horizontal flat seat, the way NH feel is no difference than AC, anything out of YVR is low yield, more leisure travelers and less business travelers, just like AC use their high density 77W for YVR-HKG.
No, anything out of YVR is not low yield as you state.

CX offers 2 daily flights out of YVR, in 777-300s, one of them has even First Class.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
No, anything out of YVR is not low yield as you state.

CX offers 2 daily flights out of YVR, in 777-300s, one of them has even First Class.
One ? You know that CX has 3 77W for LAX-HKG, 4 77W for JFK-HKG, and all of them have F ? And that 77W that has F for YVR-HKG is coming from JFK anyway, so it is not like there are F pax board the flight at YVR, and even if there is, they are using miles, not paid F pax.

Airlines know which route is high yield and which one is low yield, if HND-YVR is high yield, NH wouldn't even use a 763 to begin with, 763 has the range to fly basically any US west coast - Japan routes (You are a AC flyer from your profile, you should know for years AC had used its 763 for very long routes like YVR-PVG), yet you would never see a 763 on NRT-SEA or NRT-SJC, and not even as a sub, does that tell you something ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 13, 2016 at 11:57 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escape4

And did you maybe notice the price you paid reflected the seat vs flying out of SEA/SFO/SJC?

Is the seat bad enough to warrant the change fee + 3-5 hours extra travel time on a re-route.

And for the post about LH A380/748i it is hardly horrible. Most are not aisle access but they are lie flat and comfortable. The shared foot rest is the "biggest" issue I would have.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended

ANA has announced that they will use the 789 beginning April 28, 2016. It does not seem to be a summer only change since seat maps to the end of the year show the new business staggered seat layout.

With the wide variety of business class seats in the sky today, one really must do their homework when reserving flights. I would simply choose not to fly a long haul route like that in a cradle seat because I cannot get any sleep in those. I would be a wreck for days after arrival. I will not fly KLM to Europe from YVR since they have terrible J seats. BA, AC, and LH all offer lie flat seats albeit of differing comfort and service levels.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: mileage plus
Lets try not to exaggerate this, HND-YVR is less that 10, not 10+, eastbound is less than 9.

AC high density 777 is atrocious to fit 398 in economy the seats have lost width and leg room. I feel for anyone who has to travel on this.
The j class cabin is very poorly laid out to. They could of utilised the space a lot better.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'm not much taller than the average American, but the ANA Y 788 seats busted my knees!
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I'm not much taller than the average American, but the ANA Y 788 seats busted my knees!
ANA is a Japanese based airlines. Japanese have smaller builds.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:16 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
One ? You know that CX has 3 77W for LAX-HKG
Actually, they have four LAX-HKG 77W flights daily during much of the year (seasonally they do go down to three). When they are running 4x daily one of them is often operated with a 3-cabin J/Y+/Y config (no F), usually the mid-day departure. Depends on month and day of week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.