Search

First time in F...alone!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:00 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by gnaget
I have an upcoming flight in NH C. Is it definitely worth the headache and time consumed (dealing with clueless UA agents) and 50k UA miles to upgrade to F on NH1, which is a 14 hour flight?
Yes. I had previously flown NH C before, and the F food alone was well worth the hassle and the extra miles. Don't forget F lounge access in NRT - quite nice.

I had to be firm but polite when I called to book my flights. At first the agent had some trouble confirming the NH flight and asked, "The UA flight is available, are you sure you want NH?" I was sure then and I'd still make the same decision now.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
It's a full time occupation trying to get a *A upgrade on UA. I tried twice, the first time the agent said no dice without even asking for the ticket number. Then I tried again and this agent said that they could not connect to ANA at that time. I was going to try again 24 hours in advance but didn't have time..... too bad.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
I have an upcoming flight in NH C. Is it definitely worth the headache and time consumed (dealing with clueless UA agents) and 50k UA miles to upgrade to F on NH1, which is a 14 hour flight?
From IAD you're going to get the angled flat beds...IMHO they are horrendous. Obviously it depends on how many miles you've got to blow but the F seats are significantly better (full lay flat) and the service seems to be marginally better. I've upgraded from C to F on NH because of the seat issue alone and didn't regret it.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's a full time occupation trying to get a *A upgrade on UA. I tried twice, the first time the agent said no dice without even asking for the ticket number. Then I tried again and this agent said that they could not connect to ANA at that time. I was going to try again 24 hours in advance but didn't have time..... too bad.
I've been trying too - they have been making the connection, just nothing available. Not sure if it's because I'm flying JFK-NRT and vv with the new seats.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:37 am
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by maeharasmuse
Always?/ Really??

I thought that was an interesting post by the OP. And to tell you the truth, I am not used to travel in F, although occasionally I fly on paid F tkts (for work). The thing is, I travel on my goddamn own the whole year round... It's pathetic really. Sitting there on my own, 30.000 feet in the sky.

I used to think like you, but now usually when I travel (both in the lounges or on the plane) I no longer dread the company / mere presence of other people... provided of course I'm not in a middle seat and provided of course that if the flight's not full I get my 4 seats in the middle (e.g. if I am flying in Y).

AAMOF I have flown in F all by myself before. I though it was silly, really.

The royal F-class service becomes just comical - it daunts on you how lonely you really are at that moment. Where's your friends? Where's your family? Where's your loved ones? I ended up skipping the food, and I skipped the good drinks. I think I just had a couple of glasses of apple juice. The seat was good. It was spacious. It was a comfortable way to get to my destination. But nothing more than that. As I said, it was for work... but it wasn't really necessary imvho. Not if I am going to have to fly alone, all by myself!! That's like checking in into a suite in a world class hotel, but your girlfriend or your wife is not there to share it with you - as has happened to me as well. I mean, what's the use?? It's depressing, really.

REALLY, if I travel in F I'ld rather be in the company of some friends or some dear ones. Like my gf, or maybe hopefully someday that hot chick from accounts down on the 15th floor of our office, who knows... Hell, I think I'ld rather take my grandmother along, rather than having to sit there in F all on my own again. Simply put: instead of 1 F-tkt I'ld definitely prefer to share my reward miles over 2 C's or 4 Y's.

And I think that if I'm ever all by myself in F again, I'll just change seats and move back to the C-cabin - with the rest of the common people, closer to humanity. Really.... except of course if all those wild stories and urban myths about the F-class "Executive" cabin service (e.g. at some of the Middle Eastern airlines) are true. Maybe the OP could shed a light on his experience at NH?? Probably also depending on the the crew... which in Japan can be a bit of hit and miss. Anyway, I'm sure the idea must have crossed his mind...?

What he said. ^^

Deep... ^
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: Bopping Field Mice on their Heads
Agree with the above poster. That really is very introspective.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Saw this on NRT-->LAX

Last month, travelling home from NRT, I was in the 2nd row in the business section directly behind 1st. Business had boarded about 1/4 full, but there was no one at all in first. Towards the end of boarding, one 60-ish Japanese woman entered the cabin, weating a full length mink coat. The flight attendants took care of her (and her coat) immediately - they had been waining for their one passenger. One of the attendants closed the door then, so I knew that was it.

I think it would have been a cool experience, but I think it would (for me) have taken a little bit of enjoyment out of observing my fellow passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.