First time in F...alone!

Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat
First time in F...alone!

Flew NH 7 after Christmas...quick trip for some riding in the honshu alps, despite the several feet of powder in Tahoe (that's the cost of advance trip planning). Scored an F seat with UA miles. Upon boarding, I looked around and saw this:

Cabin director welcomed me as the lone F passenger. Service was exquisite throughout. Food was delivered at a constant pace - caviar, peitite fours, multiple entree selections, and snacks left me stuffed. Each time I dozed off I awoke to find my slippers turned toes facing outward. Bed made and unmade on request. A passable attempt to make small talk, despite our respective lack of Japanese and English vocabulary. And (hope this isn't TMI for FT):

A flower (different ones, I assume) was present on multiple trips to the lav. As my first experience in intl F, all I can say is, wow. I felt like the most important person on the plane.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hilitr
Flew NH 7 after Christmas...quick trip for some riding in the honshu alps, despite the several feet of powder in Tahoe (that's the cost of advance trip planning). Scored an F seat with UA miles. Upon boarding, I looked around and saw this:

Cabin director welcomed me as the lone F passenger. Service was exquisite throughout. Food was delivered at a constant pace - caviar, peitite fours, multiple entree selections, and snacks left me stuffed. Each time I dozed off I awoke to find my slippers turned toes facing outward. Bed made and unmade on request. A passable attempt to make small talk, despite our respective lack of Japanese and English vocabulary. And (hope this isn't TMI for FT):

A flower (different ones, I assume) was present on multiple trips to the lav. As my first experience in intl F, all I can say is, wow. I felt like the most important person on the plane.
Wow the only passenger on NH F That is arguably as good as it gets for commercial airline travel and you got it on your first time ^

It's always a great feeling when you realise no-one else is seated with you in F when the plane sets off from the jetbridge
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
I wish I had your luck. What route did you fly?

I've done ORD-NRT x1, NRT-ORD x2, and FRA-NRT x1 in NH F, all on 77W's, and the fewest I've had was 4 in F; My 2 most recent trips (FRA-NRT and NRT-ORD, both in December) were full in F and had 1-2 C seats open.

I have not had the same luck others have had when doing trips in F and most of my trip in F have been at least 40-50% full. I've had a couple LH 744 trips with only 3-5 of us in F. I've never had an LH 333 with less than 5 in F.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I have an upcoming flight in NH C. Is it definitely worth the headache and time consumed (dealing with clueless UA agents) and 50k UA miles to upgrade to F on NH1, which is a 14 hour flight?

I thought NH C was vastly superior to any other C class that I have experienced for the soft product. Much better than SQ C, for example. However, the seats are not good for sleeping. Because it's a daytime flight then it's not high priority, but I would not have minded a 3-4 hour nap towards the end of the flight. By the time you land it's around 3 am EST so you are pretty groggy if you haven't been sleeping and have been guzzling champagne.

p.s. I was one of two people on LH F on IAD-MUC. The other guy dressed in shorts and flip-flops had a beer and then crashed without having any meal, so I had personal service for the entire dinner service. Too bad it was such a short flight; we had a good tail wind too.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Wow, sounds great, but personally I think the flower inside the toilet bowl is a bit much. A little gross, even. I'd rather see flowers on the counter by the sink.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ande777emt
I wish I had your luck. What route did you fly?

I've done ORD-NRT x1, NRT-ORD x2, and FRA-NRT x1 in NH F, all on 77W's, and the fewest I've had was 4 in F; My 2 most recent trips (FRA-NRT and NRT-ORD, both in December) were full in F and had 1-2 C seats open.

I have not had the same luck others have had when doing trips in F and most of my trip in F have been at least 40-50% full. I've had a couple LH 744 trips with only 3-5 of us in F. I've never had an LH 333 with less than 5 in F.
OP had mentioned it is NH 7, that means it is SFO-NRT.

As far as flying F goes, none of my F trips ever half full except UA ORD-HKG (100% full no NRSA), most of the times I am the sole pax or either with reserve/deadhead pilots all on SQ, NH and OZ.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Wow, sounds great, but personally I think the flower inside the toilet bowl is a bit much. A little gross, even. I'd rather see flowers on the counter by the sink.
Wait. I usually take the flower out of the punch bowl and put it behind my ear Hawaii style, especially on my way to SFO. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
OP had mentioned it is NH 7, that means it is SFO-NRT.

As far as flying F goes, none of my F trips ever half full except UA ORD-HKG (100% full no NRSA), most of the times I am the sole pax or either with reserve/deadhead pilots all on SQ, NH and OZ.
Whoops, didn't see the flight number.

I usually end up flying during peak Biz travel times, so that could be why. I'll say I've had a couple exceptions thinking about it. TK-2 (JFK-IST) I had a coworker and another pax (3/8).
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: Too Many
Originally Posted by gnaget
I have an upcoming flight in NH C. Is it definitely worth the headache and time consumed (dealing with clueless UA agents) and 50k UA miles to upgrade to F on NH1, which is a 14 hour flight?
IMHO it is worth it. NH C is a very nice product, but F is much better espicially for sleeping. Even though NH1 is a day flight, it is 14 hours and usually one would want to sleep for at least a little while.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
It's not gross to me but more of a creepy side. The thought of FAs checking the john each time after I use it.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pogonation
It's always a great feeling when you realise no-one else is seated with you in F when the plane sets off from the jetbridge
Always?/ Really??

I thought that was an interesting post by the OP. And to tell you the truth, I am not used to travel in F, although occasionally I fly on paid F tkts (for work). The thing is, I travel on my goddamn own the whole year round... It's pathetic really. Sitting there on my own, 30.000 feet in the sky.

I used to think like you, but now usually when I travel (both in the lounges or on the plane) I no longer dread the company / mere presence of other people... provided of course I'm not in a middle seat and provided of course that if the flight's not full I get my 4 seats in the middle (e.g. if I am flying in Y).

AAMOF I have flown in F all by myself before. I though it was silly, really.

The royal F-class service becomes just comical - it daunts on you how lonely you really are at that moment. Where's your friends? Where's your family? Where's your loved ones? I ended up skipping the food, and I skipped the good drinks. I think I just had a couple of glasses of apple juice. The seat was good. It was spacious. It was a comfortable way to get to my destination. But nothing more than that. As I said, it was for work... but it wasn't really necessary imvho. Not if I am going to have to fly alone, all by myself!! That's like checking in into a suite in a world class hotel, but your girlfriend or your wife is not there to share it with you - as has happened to me as well. I mean, what's the use?? It's depressing, really.

REALLY, if I travel in F I'ld rather be in the company of some friends or some dear ones. Like my gf, or maybe hopefully someday that hot chick from accounts down on the 15th floor of our office, who knows... Hell, I think I'ld rather take my grandmother along, rather than having to sit there in F all on my own again. Simply put: instead of 1 F-tkt I'ld definitely prefer to share my reward miles over 2 C's or 4 Y's.

And I think that if I'm ever all by myself in F again, I'll just change seats and move back to the C-cabin - with the rest of the common people, closer to humanity. Really.... except of course if all those wild stories and urban myths about the F-class "Executive" cabin service (e.g. at some of the Middle Eastern airlines) are true. Maybe the OP could shed a light on his experience at NH?? Probably also depending on the the crew... which in Japan can be a bit of hit and miss. Anyway, I'm sure the idea must have crossed his mind...?

Last edited by maeharasmuse; Jan 11, 2011 at 1:40 am
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by hilitr
Flew NH 7 after Christmas...Cabin director welcomed me as the lone F passenger.
Cool! I fly NH F several times a year and have never been in a cabin with fewer than 4 people.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Solo NH F is a great experience!!!
I just wish that all those empty F suites could be moved out of the way.
I only needed 2. Livingroom and Bedroom
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:06 pm

My fondest experience of being the only F passenger on NH, was "Moonwalking" down the aisle on a flight from NRT-LAX a few years ago.

The FAs were exceptional at serving me massive amounts of food and drink.

On one of many trips back from the bathroom, I looked around at the empty cabin and did a little shimmy.

Then I did a few dance moves.

Where's the disco ball when you need it?

Feeling invincible, I started Moonwalking down the aisle. My self-esteem was nowhere to be seen.

There I was dancing around around in a dark, empty F cabin.

Luckily, I settled down just before one of the FAs passed though the cabin and asked if I wanted another glass of Champagne.

I doubt she would have served me any more if she saw what I was up to...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by macabus
Feeling invincible, I started Moonwalking down the aisle.
Hilarious! I'm in F again next week--if I'm the only one then I'll do this by way of thanks to the airline deities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.