Search

Alitalia Giving Away the Store?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Alitalia Giving Away the Store?

Alitalia seems to be cutting prices tremendously to get people on its flights. I don't know if this is true from everywhere, but from Israel it is certainly giving away the store.

I just got an e-mail from it offering me the following in Business Class:

TLV-MXP-DEL: $1599 -- 22,064 MQM'S.

TLV-MXP-MIA: $2200 -- 26,456 MQM'S. (Same price to ORD, JFK or DC, but somewhat less MQM's.)

TLV-MXP-EZE: $2200 -- 34,592 MQM'S.

TLV-MXP-NRT: $2700 -- 31,020 MQM'S.

Understand that is is now the HIGH season in Israel and in Italy. In May, during the mid-rate season, Delta was charging just about the same for M class to MIA as Alitalia now wants for B/E.

Alitalia has recently gotten a government loan to try to keep it out of bankruptcy and is apparently giving away the store to get people on its flights. I don't know what kind of prices it is offering out of the US, but it certainly seems worth looking into.

If they keep this up through November (traditionally one of the least expensive months to fly to Italy), you might be able to get to the meet by flying JFK-VCE in B/E for less than the cost of an ATL-SAV commuter flight in coach!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:14 am

CO is also offering a sale on BusinessFirst between EWR and TLV, so this is likely related. Plus although it's the high season for Italy and Israel right now, I would assume it's the high season for leisure travelers--not business travelers. I can't imagine that many leisure travelers are willing to shell out $6k for a J ticket to Israel. But you might convince a few of 'em to shell out $2k when they'd already be paying $1k for Y, and if they are filling up empty J seats (for lack of business travel this time of year), why not?
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:22 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I would not exactly call US$6747.70 for Business Class (fare priced at www.alitalia.com between Atlanta and Venice November 18-23) giving away the store.

Thank you anyway, Dovster. I do appreciate it.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I would not exactly call US$6747.70 for Business Class (fare priced at www.alitalia.com between Atlanta and Venice November 18-23) giving away the store.

Thank you anyway, Dovster. I do appreciate it.
Canarsie, do not, ever, go by the prices on www.alitalia.com. I have no idea of why they do it but they put their highest prices on their website!

In fact, the e-mail I received from them specifically said "For more details and reservations, please contact your travel agent." This is always true with them.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:36 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Dovster
Canarsie, do not, ever, go by the prices on www.alitalia.com. I have no idea of why they do it but they put their highest prices on their website!

In fact, the e-mail I received from them specifically said "For more details and reservations, please contact your travel agent." This is always true with them.
Thank you for the advice, Dovster.

I will check into it...
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold

Dovster, do you know if the AZ telephone reservationists will provide the same fares? I usually avoid TAs like most people avoid the dentist, but could be pursuaded if it means a $4K savings.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Canarsie, I was not clear on one very important point vis-a-vis the November Meet. The prices I am quoting right now are good through September only.

Alitalia never announces its sales fares very far in advance -- usually they post things that will be good for the following two to three months.

That is why I said "if they keep this up through November..."
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLfan
Dovster, do you know if the AZ telephone reservationists will provide the same fares? I usually avoid TAs like most people avoid the dentist, but could be pursuaded if it means a $4K savings.
DLFan, they will in Israel but I don't know about the US. If you are thinking about November, see my post above.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:58 am

DLFan, they will in Israel but I don't know about the US. If you are thinking about November, see my post above.
Thanks Dovster. I'm still working the CAI trip that I discussed with you before. That will happen either very soon or at all.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks Dovster. I'm still working the CAI trip that I discussed with you before. That will happen either very soon or at all.
Only on Flyer Talk would an American ask an Israeli for help in flying to Egypt!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:29 am

Only on Flyer Talk would an American ask an Israeli for help in flying to Egypt!

...and receive same! ^
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:33 am
Original Poster

...and receive same! ^
Incidentally, if Alitalia is as anxious to get people flying USA-TLV-USA as it is to get them flying TLV-USA-TLV you might want to fly into TLV and then take the 30 minute flight to CAI.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:48 am

Incidentally, if Alitalia is as anxious to get people flying USA-TLV-USA as it is to get them flying TLV-USA-TLV you might want to fly into TLV and then take the 30 minute flight to CAI.
That's a thought Dovster, but I may have issues with that. Would I have to clear customs or overnight in TLV? I have the dreaded Jordanian and Lebanese stamps in my passport and do not, as of yet, have a second passport for use into and out of Israel. If I understand the situation correctly, the Israeli's don't mind the stamps of Arab countries, but the Arab countries will not issue visas on passports that contain Israeli stamps. I need to maintain ready access to those countries at least for the next few months.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

That's a thought Dovster, but I may have issues with that. Would I have to clear customs or overnight in TLV? I have the dreaded Jordanian and Lebanese stamps in my passport and do not, as of yet, have a second passport for use into and out of Israel. If I understand the situation correctly, the Israeli's don't mind the stamps of Arab countries, but the Arab countries will not issue visas on passports that contain Israeli stamps. I need to maintain ready access to those countries at least for the next few months.
You do not need a second passport.

1. Israel does not object to you having visas from Arab countries.
2. Jordan would not mind if you had an Israeli visa (in fact, you can fly to Jordan from Tel Aviv on an Israeli passport.)
3. When you arrive in Israeli, simply ask not to have your passport stamped. Instead, you will be given a separate piece of paper with the visa. You do, however, have to keep that visa until you leave the country (it will be asked for when you fly out.)

I don't know about clearing Customs in Israel if you have an immediate connecting flight. My gut feeling is that you do have to as I don't remember seeing any place where you can go for connections (but then again, I never looked.)

As to whether you would have to spend overnight, that would depend on your connection. If it is a few hours after arriving you would simply stay in the airport.

If you are going to spend overnight I will come down to Tel Aviv and we will have a two person Meet -- a three person one if the UIG feels like joining us.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:10 pm

If you are going to spend overnight I will come down to Tel Aviv and we will have a two person Meet -- a three person one if the UIG feels like joining us.
Given all that (and thanks for the great explanation), I will check that with AZ no matter what else they may offer me. I'd love to spend a day or more in TLV and it would be great to see you again (on your home turf this time) and perhaps meet the UIG (Note to self: learn her real name prior to meeting).

Just to save me the trouble, who flies TLV-CAI? El Al? Egyptian Air?

P.S. - Since beginning this discussion, I received an email from the project manager in Egypt postponing the meeting until at least August 15th.

Last edited by DLfan; Jul 15, 2004 at 12:12 pm Reason: Add P.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.