Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading at the Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading at the Airport

We have bought Alitalia MIA to FCO Economy Classic tickets. They are codeshare through Delta, and for this reason we are not eligible to bid for upgrades. ( we had to do this since we are returning to MIA from Paris, Delta codeshare with Air France)

Has anyone had success purchasing an Alitalia upgrade at the airport, and if so is it much more costly than the bidding upgrades? Would joining Millemiglia make any difference to our ablilty or cost to upgrade at the airport?

Thank you.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
In theory, the opportunity is there and not crazy expensive

https://www.alitalia.com/en_gb/fly-a...d-flights.html

l have no personal experience with it though

Last edited by goodandclassy; Dec 29, 2018 at 1:10 am Reason: fixed link
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:37 am

I have had the opportunity to bid for upgrades on tickets purchased directly from Alitalia (but I will never take it, as on my flights, the "upgrade" is just an identical economy seat with an empty middle seat, so really not worth it).

Edit: Re-reading your post, I can see your question is not about bidding for upgrade. Sorry, I don't know about upgrading at the airport. I tried that many years ago with BA, but the quoted price was beyond prohibitive (I would go as far as calling it astronomical). Anyway, it's a different time and a different airline, so you may have better luck.

Last edited by FlyerTLV; Dec 29, 2018 at 5:47 am Reason: Misread the question before replying
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I recommend you to try at the airport. If there will be any business class available seat, you can get it. Just not completely sure that posted rates are “fix” ...or they “starting from ...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, HHonors-Diamond
If the ticket is issued on Delta stock, you will have to pay the fare difference to upgrade. The AZ prices for upgrades do not apply, as they are not AZ tickets. I was quoted $6000 2 years ago to upgrade from Prem Econ to J from JFK to FCO, because my ticket was issued by DL. Joining MilleMiglia will not help your chances at all.

The good news is that you will be eligible for reasonable upgrade offers on AF, no matter who issues the ticket. I have paid as little as $400 pp to upgrade to J from Prem Econ from CDG to JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.