Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early 2019 booking question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Early 2019 booking question

Hello,
I’m looking to travel from NYC to Palermo in late January/ early February. The best routings is on Alitalia but I’m hesitant to book due to their financial uncertainty. If I book on AF website am I covered if Alitalia goes bankrupt later this year ?
I can fly AF into Catania but it’s over a 3 hour ride to get to Palermo.

Im not sure what to do so I appreciate any help you can provide.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:49 am

The safest course of action given the circumstances (lots can happen before 2019 and I personally wouldn't risk it) is to get your itinerary ticketed through any of the joint-venture partners and namely AF/KL/DL (if possible/financially viable, needless to say).

G
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks AlicorporateUK. I will reserve my ticket through the AF website.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So I was about to book an airfare on Alitalia ATH-FCO-LHR for January 2019 as the fare was less than half that of Aegean, but after reading this thread guessing I may not actually get to fly.

Let's assume that happens, I book but there is no airline, is it likely a Skyteam member would fly me? I am flying more Skyteam flights in 2018 using a very old DL FF# so no status.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Let's assume that happens, I book but there is no airline, is it likely a Skyteam member would fly me? I am flying more Skyteam flights in 2018 using a very old DL FF# so no status.
Absolutely not. Why would a "Skyteam airline" that has nothing (much) to do with Alitalia decide to step up and honour millions of tickets issued by Alitalia, and carry millions of passengers, for no payment?

Is there a Skyteam airline out there with so much cash on hand they could happily and gladly carry millions of passengers for free??

The money those passengers paid would either disappear into a black hole (if the airline fails); or the tickets end up being the responsiblity of Lufthansa/Ryanair/Easyjet (or whosever hands Alitalia ends up in, if sold). However, in that case, it is highly likely that the new owner would make drastic changes to the network, and many issued tickets would be severely disrupted; in some cases, only a refund may be available [although that is still better than trying to chase your money down via your credit card, etc, in case of failure].

Follow the advice given above. If you must book on Alitalia, make sure the ticket is issued by a different airline, such as Air France. Though for your proposed routing, that may prove impossible - and would almost certainly increase the price.

[However, you should also consider booking a direct flight to a different London airport - I see one ways on ATH-LGW on A3 for €51, one ways on ATH-LHR on BA for €52, one ways on ATH-STN on FR for €56, one ways on ATH-LGW on U2 for €57, and one ways on ATH-LTN on W6 for €60 for January 2019. All cheaper than indirect routings [AZ comes next at €66 one way]]
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 11, 2018 at 2:29 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Absolutely not. Why would a "Skyteam airline" that has nothing (much) to do with Alitalia decide to step up and honour millions of tickets issued by Alitalia, and carry millions of passengers, for no payment?

Is there a Skyteam airline out there with so much cash on hand they could happily and gladly carry millions of passengers for free??

The money those passengers paid would either disappear into a black hole (if the airline fails); or the tickets end up being the responsiblity of Lufthansa/Ryanair/Easyjet (or whosever hands Alitalia ends up in, if sold). However, in that case, it is highly likely that the new owner would make drastic changes to the network, and many issued tickets would be severely disrupted; in some cases, only a refund may be available [although that is still better than trying to chase your money down via your credit card, etc, in case of failure].

Follow the advice given above. If you must book on Alitalia, make sure the ticket is issued by a different airline, such as Air France. Though for your proposed routing, that may prove impossible - and would almost certainly increase the price.

[However, you should also consider booking a direct flight to a different London airport - I see one ways on ATH-LGW on A3 for €51, one ways on ATH-LHR on BA for €52, one ways on ATH-STN on FR for €56, one ways on ATH-LGW on U2 for €57, and one ways on ATH-LTN on W6 for €60 for January 2019. All cheaper than indirect routings [AZ comes next at €66 one way]]
Thank you.

I am going A3 to ATH but for the return those prices are not available (although they are available later in January).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.