Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OT] FCO | Passport E-Gates | US Citizens

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

[OT] FCO | Passport E-Gates | US Citizens

Already reported on the Italy sub-forum but I thought it was worth to flag it up here as well, mostly given the volume of FCO/AZ related queries.

From Aeroporti di Roma website:
Since the 6th of June, thanks to a project implemented by Aeroporti di Roma, by the Public Security Department. - Central Directorate of Immigration and Border Police and by the US Embassy in Italy in collaboration with ENAC and Italy’sMinistry of Foreign Affairs, the electronic gates – which have thus far only been accessible to European citizens aged 14 and over – can now also be used by American citizens.
G
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
I used this when departing FCO this week and it was more efficient than US Global Entry for its own citizens. The only curious quirk was that after getting through the E-gate, one is still required to receive a passport stamp from a human - no examination of any kind, just a stamp and go.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gerbs
I used this when departing FCO this week and it was more efficient than US Global Entry for its own citizens. The only curious quirk was that after getting through the E-gate, one is still required to receive a passport stamp from a human - no examination of any kind, just a stamp and go.
Not curious, funny: Travellers from non-Schengen countries have restrictions as to how long they can stay within the zone. No way of knowing (yet!) unless there's a stamp in the passport. And, of course, no examination of any kind as this is what happened in the automatic booth.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Not curious, funny: Travellers from non-Schengen countries have restrictions as to how long they can stay within the zone. No way of knowing (yet!) unless there's a stamp in the passport. And, of course, no examination of any kind as this is what happened in the automatic booth.
Every member state has a national database of every entry/exit record (regardless of nationality) based on API and PNR.
An EU entry/exit database is planned to enter into force in 2020. This system will eliminate the stamping of passports, and at the same time, every non-EU citizen will be obliged to provide fingerprints and a facial photo.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:22 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

By coincidence I was transiting in FCO this morning and my first using the e-gates and my experience was less than stellar...none of the systems were working, quite a number of people got rejected and in the end, they just started sending people to the manual kiosks. Reminds me of how useless it was like PARAFE in France.
Not sure if this is a one time bad experience, but this is the 2nd EU country with a rather useless automated system after France. The best for me so far is UK, it used to be slow, but with the new systems, it has got to be the best one out there in Europe.

Cheers!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Agreed on the UK eGates but I've never had issues at FCO either, just once landing very late from the last LHR-FCO service and only a couple were switched on but I was still through in seconds, way better than CDG (or possibly no comparison at all).

G
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:39 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Agreed on the UK eGates but I've never had issues at FCO either, just once landing very late from the last LHR-FCO service and only a couple were switched on but I was still through in seconds, way better than CDG (or possibly no comparison at all).

G
Must be my bad yesterday, as some where having no issues while some tried a couple of times and the system kept rejecting them, so the person on duty requested we go to the manual check (it was an EU biometric passport). I will try it again the next when I am back in FCO when I have to use it again later in August.

Haha.. yes those at CDG is pure rubbish.. no idea how can they be so useless...it is basically a white elephant...the 2nd worst are those actually in AMS...it works, but the time it takes it's close to 2 mins per person, that's why lines are so long...

Cheers!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by edo01
Every member state has a national database of every entry/exit record (regardless of nationality) based on API and PNR.

While API info is nice, it gives no proof that the passenger actually entered the country and for how long, for example passengers on a non-Schengen to non-Schengen connections, connecting passengers who then depart the Schengen area from a different country, land borders etc. etc.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto

While API info is nice, it gives no proof that the passenger actually entered the country and for how long, for example passengers on a non-Schengen to non-Schengen connections, connecting passengers who then depart the Schengen area from a different country, land borders etc. etc.
Referring to "land borders": since 10 or more years, every country with land borders has deployed a national database of every entry/exit (Eastern EU countries like Poland, Lithuania or Estonia take the land border crossing procedures VERY SERIOUSLY; e.g. every document is checked carefully, all passengers are subject to interview, every trunk is opened and the content examined)
However, by 2020, an EU-wide entry/exit system will be deployed at every Schengen border crossing point. While this database will replace the stamping of passports, on the other hand every non-EU national will be fingerprinted and photographed when entering/exiting Schengen.
I agree with you that API info aren't so accurate (e.g. with API only, the USCBP cannot be sure that an alien citizen has left the US)

Last edited by edo01; Jul 11, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

All very interesting, thanks edo01.

G
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:45 am

Referring to "land borders": since 10 or more years, every country with land borders has deployed a national database of every entry/exit (Eastern EU countries like Poland, Lithuania or Estonia take the land border crossing procedures VERY SERIOUSLY; e.g. every document is checked carefully, all passengers are subject to interview, every trunk is opened and the content examined)
My point about land borders is that no API data is provided
Whether or not anything is then stored into any database is irrespective of how rigid the checks are.

However, by 2020, an EU-wide entry/exit system will be deployed at every Schengen border crossing point. While this database will replace the stamping of passports, on the other hand every non-EU national will be fingerprinted and photographed when entering/exiting Schengen.
What is your source of that? ETIAS is currently scheduled for 2021 and no biometrics will be collected as far as I can read, for example European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Security Union: A European Travel Information and Authorisation System - Questions & Answers
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:36 am

If your passport is rejected the first time, firmly push and hold your passport on the reader during the process. That does the trick
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
My point about land borders is that no API data is provided
Whether or not anything is then stored into any database is irrespective of how rigid the checks are.

What is your source of that? ETIAS is currently scheduled for 2021 and no biometrics will be collected as far as I can read, for example European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Security Union: A European Travel Information and Authorisation System - Questions & Answers
On 20 November 2017 the European Council adopted the regulation for an entry-exit system and the regulation amending the Schengen border code in relation to the entry-exit system (EES). The EES is expected to be operational in 2020.

http://www.europeanmigrationlaw.eu/d...em%20(EES).pdf

ETIAS will be an electronic authorization for visa-free travelers (e.g. the US, Canada, Australia) like the American ESTA. No biometrics is collected as part of the application process, unlike the Schengen visa application, which requires the applicant to go to an embassy/visa application centre and provide fingerprints and a facial photograph.

By 2020, every non-EU citizen arriving at the Schengen external border (both visa-exempt and visa holder) will be fingerprinted and photographed, and his/her personal data stored in the EES.

Last edited by edo01; Jul 12, 2018 at 4:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.