Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my connection in MXP too short?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Is my connection in FCO too short?

I am considering an itinerary that goes BRU-FCO-ICN. The first leg is operated by Alitalia and the second leg is Korean Air. My concern is that the connection in FCO is only 45 minutes. Am I asking for trouble by booking this itinerary? There is a flight with a longer connection of around 90 minutes but it costs an extra $500 USD. This is all going to be booked on one ticket.

Thanks!

Last edited by ShamRockSteady; Mar 8, 2016 at 9:23 am Reason: Incorrect airport listed
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Yes, you are looking at having to buy yourself a brand new ticket to get you from MXP to ICN as you are highly likely to miss the flight.

Why not fly to MXP the night before - or why not buy, on one single ticket, all travel from BRU to ICN so that you are covered in case of misconnections?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:01 am

Alitalia haven't flown BRU-MXP since March 2006 (year more, year less, depending on my memory - 3 daily services, all operated by M80). On that nostalgic note, please check whether you will actually be flying to LIN or indeed MXP, but with SN instead...

G
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Alitalia haven't flown BRU-MXP since March 2006 (year more, year less, depending on my memory - 3 daily services, all operated by M80). On that nostalgic note, please check whether you will actually be flying to LIN or indeed MXP, but with SN instead...

G
Thanks, I made a dumb mistake and the connection is actually FCO. I've updated the thread accordingly.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
the connection is actually FCO.
In that case, just forget about it. You will be arriving at T1 and, even if your BRU flight gets in to FCO early and in the unlikely event (specially these days) that the aircraft docks on to a jet-bridge, you will still have to clear the temporary passport control at gate B29 and get the shuttle bus to the G gates area (the bus would normally take 10 minutes if all goes smooth but the other day, for instance, we encountered a Vueling's 320 parking near T3 and the bus had to stop, resulting in 10 extra minutes' journey time...). I will not even mention that clearing passports could well be a lengthy process because of the number of flights (OTP, TLV, SVO, EZE, GIG etc. etc.) departing from T3 around that particular time.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Mar 8, 2016 at 1:13 pm
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
90 minutes is no better than 45 minutes when you are connecting at an unfamiliar airport and to a long-haul international flight (they will probably have already commenced boarding before your flight reaches the terminal - certainly so if your inbound is delayed).

I fail to see why taking a detour via Italy, using two different airlines, and buying two separate tickets is the best/cheapest way to get from BRU to ICN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.