Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding b/t Alitalia and UA/CO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Deciding b/t Alitalia and UA/CO

Hello all,

Just got new position requiring frequent travel b/t BOS/NYC and FCO. Looking into the best FF program for me, basically deciding b/t the two programs mentioned. Interested in ease of upgrade to prem ec or business. Attracted to AZ Classica +, but aware of AZ general drawbacks. UA/CO I've heard is more generous with rewards, etc, but have no idea the quality of their prem ec or the flights b/t EWR and FCO.

Any input would be much appreciated! Apologies for any n00b mistakes in lingo.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:07 pm

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Welcome to FT

Let me say you have to fly AZ vs UA/CO

And let me add you have to pick up a FFP in the whole SkyTeam portfolio (if flying AZ) or in the whole Star Alliance portfolio (if flying UA/CO).

Example FlyingBlue of AF/KL or Miles&More of LH.

Have a nice "reading", I do not pass any suggestion because they will be based on my very personal opinions.

Enjoy the flights.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Volvic! I'd love your personal opinions, as long as they are explained. That would be really helpful.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:09 am

According to what I heard CO/UA are worse than AZ onboard, however I've only actually flown AZ and I don't know about the CO/UA FFP.

Do note that with AZ's MilleMiglia you get 300% miles in J, and the redemption levels are lower than for LH's M&M.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by bungler
According to what I heard CO/UA are worse than AZ onboard, however I've only actually flown AZ and I don't know about the CO/UA FFP.

Do note that with AZ's MilleMiglia you get 300% miles in J, and the redemption levels are lower than for LH's M&M.
Bungler sums it up nicely

If you want to fly J I'd take AZ any day. With decent service and high chances of new A330 ex JFK the onboard experience is better and you get 300% mileage with MM

In Y would probably go with Miles and More - all Y is much of a muchness but I would side with *alliance

Personally I wouldn't pay for Y+ - not worth it unless max 1000$ all in rtn
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:22 pm

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Volvic
Have a nice "reading", I do not pass any suggestion because they will be based on my very personal opinions.
Originally Posted by lfortunata12
Thanks for the reply, Volvic! I'd love your personal opinions, as long as they are explained. That would be really helpful.
Ok,
let me start from the past, I mean my suggestions are based on old rules and my past experience.

For a moment to decide which airline FFP program better suits you, you have to forgot the airline. Strange but true.

Questions:
do you have a US or an EU (Italian perhaps ?) bank account ? It means which credit card can you apply for ?
do you spend a lot of nights in hotels ?

A lot of miles are nowadays generated by other services.

Examples: think about the Amex Freccia Alata (you apply for it and you get the status... expensive but worth a thought), each night at an Hilton generates 1000 miles (max 3000 per stay) or even double during promotion periods with BMI Diamond Club (Star alliance).

I had a lot of cheap short intra EU flights, so I was forced to go for programs that gave me status also with number of flights (BA and AF).

Simply based on comfort, I'd say if company pays you a seat in Eco plus goes for AZ, otherwise it's cattle class... you will be just in cattle class (where I belong )

Upgrade vs lounge entries. Intra EU flight has a poor biz and almost no EU FFP provides upd benefit, so lounge access is nice. US FFP could provide upd (read carefully "could provide" is not "will provide") but no lounge access. For an intra EU flight lounge is a nice perk, for a TATL one it does not make a lot of difference except during problem solving (transfer desk related) where the staff can go the extra mile.

Will you make the wrong FFP choice ? Well, get enough miles for an award you wish, get it and say goodbye and switch. Your status, if any, could even be comped.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the tips. Looks like I have a lot to consider!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.