Search

What to expect ORD-TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: co AA ua
What to expect ORD-TLV

Hi there,

I am flying ORD-TLV-ORD via FCO in August in Economy.

Will there be personal TV's on ORD-FCO and FCO-ORD ? Aircraft is A330-200. Is there a charger outlet in the seats in Economy.

Someone with experience to gluten free meals in transatlantic flight and the shorter hop to Israel ? Does the italian security allow to have food in the hand baggage, in case I want to skip the gluten free meal offered. Really not crazy about getting sick in a transatlantic flight with a little kid travelling by myself.

I am travelling with a kid. I also have a pacemaker. In the US I show my card in English, and the TSA pat me down and not go through the metal detector. Nor they avoid using the hand want as the magnet will damage the pacemaker. How it is in Italy. Do the security screeners have good English ?

How is the connection in Rome ? I opted to take the 11:35 am departure to TLV instead of the 9:20 am departure, since I was afraid that an hour connection in Rome will be too short. The flight from ORD lands at 8:10 am.

Overall will be happy if the airplanes land in time and luggage arrives to TLV. Do not expect much more from economy travel. The food is passable at best in most airlines as well as the service and comfort. Would have prefered to travel Delta, EL AL, Continental or US Airways on night flights from the east coast so my son will sleep but was not willing to add $200-$300 for the ticket.

Thanks for answering all these questions.

Erez
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ehartal
Hi there,

I am flying ORD-TLV-ORD via FCO in August in Economy.

Will there be personal TV's on ORD-FCO and FCO-ORD ? Aircraft is A330-200. Is there a charger outlet in the seats in Economy.
No, that aircraft offers only overhead tv and no power. It's one of the less comfy in AZ fleet, sorry

Someone with experience to gluten free meals in transatlantic flight and the shorter hop to Israel ? Does the italian security allow to have food in the hand baggage, in case I want to skip the gluten free meal offered. Really not crazy about getting sick in a transatlantic flight with a little kid travelling by myself.
Gluten free meals should be okay, but you can bring your food through Italian customs. Actually, you will not need to clear customs if you are just connecting.

On the FCO-TLV flight you'll have limited or no food in economy so if you are hungry buy something in FCO.

I am travelling with a kid. I also have a pacemaker. In the US I show my card in English, and the TSA pat me down and not go through the metal detector. Nor they avoid using the hand want as the magnet will damage the pacemaker. How it is in Italy. Do the security screeners have good English ?
I wouldn't count on good English but "pace maker" is used also in Italian, you'll have no issues.

How is the connection in Rome ? I opted to take the 11:35 am departure to TLV instead of the 9:20 am departure, since I was afraid that an hour connection in Rome will be too short. The flight from ORD lands at 8:10 am.
Good choice, why running around with a child. Connections in FCO are pretty easy. Luggage may be delayed, FCO is not the best airport in the world in that respect.

Overall will be happy if the airplanes land in time and luggage arrives to TLV. Do not expect much more from economy travel. The food is passable at best in most airlines as well as the service and comfort. Would have prefered to travel Delta, EL AL, Continental or US Airways on night flights from the east coast so my son will sleep but was not willing to add $200-$300 for
If you have ever flown Delta in Economy in a 767 over the Atlantic, the level of service is pretty much the same.

Have a nice flight
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by raistlin
No, that aircraft offers only overhead tv and no power. It's one of the less comfy in AZ fleet, sorry
Not "less comfy", just more basic entertainment, which is indeed annoying. IFE will not be working on the FCO-TLV either, since it is operated by 321's and short-haul IFE only works on the 320's.

On the FCO-TLV flight you'll have limited or no food in economy so if you are hungry buy something in FCO.
The flight is 3 hours long so there will actually be a full (albeit cold) meal served.

Luggage may be delayed, FCO is not the best airport in the world in that respect.
Perhaps, but nowadays not one of the worst either.

I agree with your other points and would add that AZ crew are usually very attentive to passengers with any health issues.

I opted to take the 11:35 am departure to TLV instead of the 9:20 am departure, since I was afraid that an hour connection in Rome will be too short. The flight from ORD lands at 8:10 am.
Note that were you to miss the 9.20 flight they would probably send you off to the 11.35 anyway, but a 3 hour wait isn't too long in any case.

Last edited by bungler; Jun 18, 2011 at 8:28 am
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
A332 (ex AP) planes that fly ORD - FCO aren't the best planes in AZ fleet but I way prefer them to 763 (personally)

Agree that Y longhaul is much of a muchness with all carriers BAR certain Asian carriers
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I flew ORD-TLV on DL quite a bit and liked the service. I do not expect this flight to be as convenient, as it is not night fligh, east coast to Israel, but like I said was not willing to pay the extra money. The tickets are not cheap in August.

Thanks for the answers. I am not too much dreading this journey as much as I used to. I have one question, could one of you translate the following for me to Italian if you would not find me too rude, so I can print it and show it to the screeners in rome:

"I have a pacemaker and cannot be screened via the screener nor by using a magnetic wand. Kindly perform a hand pat on me."

Hopefully it is not too much to ask.

Thanks again,

Erez
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:36 pm

If you don't speak Italian they'll probably understand you better in English, but anyway here's a self-improved version of the google translation:

Ho un pacemaker e non posso essere controllato(a) attraverso lo scanner n utilizzando una bacchetta magnetica. La prego di effettuarmi un controllo a mano.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by bungler
If you don't speak Italian they'll probably understand you better in English, but anyway here's a self-improved version of the google translation:

Ho un pacemaker e non posso essere controllato(a) attraverso lo scanner n utilizzando una bacchetta magnetica. La prego di effettuarmi un controllo a mano.
I think that "Ho un pacemaker, non posso usare nessun metal detector. Mi puo' perquisire" is shorter and to the point.

But I agree, try english.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much

I am planning to print this translation and use it if the screener does not understand me. A magnet wand can damage the pacemaker and defibrilator, and not a good way to start the vacation. Maybe I am too worried about it. Your answers and help is really assuring.

It is a real shame I will not have a chance to visit your beautiful country this time but maybe next time. Italy is definitely on my bucket list and I heard it is a great place for gluten free dinning as the awareness is just amazing. I was told that in pharmacies they sell excelent gluten free products all over italy. I wonder I could find one in the secure area of Terminal 3 that carries these products. I'll definitely look.

Thanks again for your help and I plan to post a report on my journey and experience. So others will know what to expect in case of having a pacemaker\ or gluten free requirements.

Until next time, all the best,

Erez
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:03 pm

Ciao Erez!

It is a real shame I will not have a chance to visit your beautiful country this time but maybe next time. Italy is definitely on my bucket list and I heard it is a great place for gluten free dinning as the awareness is just amazing. I was told that in pharmacies they sell excelent gluten free products all over italy. I wonder I could find one in the secure area of Terminal 3 that carries these products. I'll definitely look.
Gluten-free food is available also in many supermarkets (e.g. "COOP" which is a very large chain carries it in almost every store).

Pharmacies sell it, because people with celiac disease in Italy obtain a card for getting a certain amount of gluten free food (I think it's 140 EUR or so per month) for free, provided they buy it in a pharmacy. I don't know if the ones in FCO sell it. If I have a spare minute tomorrow I'll check while I travel through FCO and will let you know!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:27 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; it) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Following up to myself, the pharmacy in the departures area of T1 (i.e. Outside security) has a limited selection of them. Just asked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.