Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Era or AS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Era or AS

Any first hand experience/suggestions on Era vs Alaska for an Anc Fai trip?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Era is nice since you don't have to go through security. Disadvantage (maybe?) to Era is you arrive at a different non-brand new terminal. On AS you can earn frequent flier miles for Delta and AA though.

If it wasn't for a chance for an upgrade I would probably go with Era, but I also prefer turboprops sometimes. It's a pretty short flight either way.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
AS Pros: First class if you want it, slightly shorter flying time, all 737 service, Board Room at ANC, and much nicer terminal facilities at FAI (the new FAI terminal is a beauty; I think they've done a much nicer job rebuilding FAI than with the rebuild of ANC).

7H (Era) Pros: No TSA; if you have no luggage and do web check in you literally can show up 20 minutes before departure. Also Era generally has lower fares, as well as last-minute web specials almost every weekend. However be warned that Era only flies Dash 8's on this route, with an occasional B1900 sub, so flying time is about 10 minutes longer and it can be a bit bumpy going over the Alaska Range.

For me, it generally comes down to what time of day I need to fly and price. Both airlines do one-way fares so it's easy enough to fly Era up and AS back, or vice-versa.

If missing out on the AS miles isn't a big deal, I would make a decision based on schedule and the price for the flights you need.

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Era is nice since you don't have to go through security. Disadvantage (maybe?) to Era is you arrive at a different non-brand new terminal. On AS you can earn frequent flier miles for Delta and AA though.

If it wasn't for a chance for an upgrade I would probably go with Era, but I also prefer turboprops sometimes. It's a pretty short flight either way.
Era should be moving to the new terminal at FAI sometime over the summer. As it stands right now you do have to take a short walk outside to get to the rental car counters in the new terminal.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:18 am
Original Poster

thanks for the info.

pricing seems about same (except for $5.50 in fees). Miles, 737 are in AS favor.

Ultimately it will come down to schedule and not being on a BE1900

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.