Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Local scoop on Alaska Ferry Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Local scoop on Alaska Ferry Changes

Looking around at Alaska Ferry schedule and noted a few significant schedule changes due to two vessels being in dock for longer than anticipated.

Just wondering what (if any) local info can be had about the situation?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ffmhoarder
Looking around at Alaska Ferry schedule and noted a few significant schedule changes due to two vessels being in dock for longer than anticipated.

Just wondering what (if any) local info can be had about the situation?
What routes are you looking at?

AMHS supposedly has funding to replace some of their mainline fleet, but that won't be for a few years. The ferry system really suffered when Murkowski was governor as he cut back ferry service in order to make a Juneau road connection more appealing to people who don't know any better, and it hasn't really recovered since then. The new fast ferries have run into some unexpected mechanical problems, and are so expensive to operate that they are only used during the peak summer season when they can break even or make money; mechanically, the big gripe in the news is that they have issues with sucking logs and other foreign objects into the motors.

I'm hopeful that AMHS can begin to return to its former glory, but with the current state of the economy, and a pro-develop-everything governor in office, it may be a while.

The ferry system is still an outstanding way to see Alaska (even as a resident I go out of my way to make one or two ferry trips every year just for fun), but it's definitely showing its age a little bit, too.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Ferry Schedules

I was looking at Lynn Canal routes.

Ever since I started to look at the schedules, back last fall, there have been scheduling errors on the website and constant changes to schedules.

The cause: vessels in and out of dry dock etc... and associated delays.

Over the past few days I've read a few of the documents availble on AMHS site including annual report. The information is very interesting and provides some context to Chugach's post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.