Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Ideas for 10 day Alaska trip

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
My motor association membership does not convert to AAA sadly. But their books are neat.

Added a note on Community re this dinner - if anyone is interested in adding to that to centralize it!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695848

Anyway, if anyone reading might be able to assist with some AAA stuff to be at the hotel by May 30 late check-in, sure would appreciate your time!

Glen Stephens (HOLD - Guest May 30)
Americas Best Value Inn Executive Suite Hotel
4360 Spenard Rd
Anchorage, AK 99517
Old May 22, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'll part with my Milepost and drop it off at the hotel. No charge if you return it to me at dinner on June 4 (sounds like you're flying out after that), or give me the $12 at dinner (I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it at Costco, which is cheaper than you'll find it anywhere else) if you want to keep it. Heck, I'll even see if I can find my big DeLorme Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer--the thing is great for seeing the lay of the land.

As I said earlier, I can't get the AAA stuff, but I'll see if I can dig up a few other free maps and guidebooks (stuff you can get yourself from the visitor's center downtown, but I'll try to hand-pick the best ones) and drop them off at the Executive Suites along with the Milepost.

It's hard to get lost in Alaska, since there are so few roads and towns are small (although if you do take a wrong turn and don't realize it, you may not find out for 200 miles when you come across a town you weren't expecting to!), so don't panic if you don't get the nice AAA maps/guidebooks--the Milepost, DeLorme atlas, or even the free map from your rental company (I checked--you're not renting from me, or I'd make sure to get you a nice car!) will get you around the state just fine.

See ya when you get here!
Old May 22, 2007, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
On that note, if anyone here has access to an AAA office, would really appreciate it if some AA maps and tourist stuff for ANC to Valdez and Seward areas might be dropped off or mailed to our ANC hotel.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is not so easy after 24 hours on planes, but doing it with no maps is harder!
There are free visitor guidebooks produced each year for Anchorage, Seward, Valdez and the Kenai Peninsula available in stacks at several places in the ANC airport including near the rental car counters. [There are also guidebooks for Fairbanks, Homer, the MatSu, Nome, Kodiak, the Parks Highway and others]

A free and adequate street map for Anchorage can be obtained from most rental car companies or the visitor's center. For the rest of Alaska the road guidebook to borrow or buy is the Milepost -- the AAA stuff for Alaska is kind of lame.
Old May 28, 2007, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks for the very kind offer jackal. ^

OK .. who else is set for dinner at 8pm at Moose's Tooth Monday June 4 : ?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695848

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.