Looking for Ideas for 10 day Alaska trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Ideas for 10 day Alaska trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Rate for car up to 10 feet is $30 less than for cars 10-15 feet. I guess small rentals just squeak in?!
That would be a bad guess. Pretty much the smallest car you'd be able to rent in Alaska will have an overall length greater than 10 feet.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by cbalaska
Taco King - now there's the REAL thing - yum!!
Taco King on Northern Lights Blvd is my favorite Mexican place in Alaska. Should we have a get together there sometime soon?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Ooh! A mini-DO at Taco King! I'm game!

As far as rentals squeezing on ferries: the smallest rental car I've seen is Enterprise's Chevy Aveo (which I wouldn't wish on anybody), but if you reserve one with them, you're likely to get a free upgrade to an extended-bed Silverado, so I wouldn't count on that. Most of the other companies up here have gone mostly Chrysler (they're the only ones doing guaranteed buybacks now), so the smallest available would be the fairly large Dodge Caliber, although you might get a Chevy Cobalt or a Toyota Corolla. Best advice would be to call the agency's location directly (use www.acsyellowpages.com--that's our local phone book) and ask what their economy or compact vehicles are. However, summer is the time of free upgrades (yes, even to minivans, like it or not) because companies are basically completely sold out from June 15 to August 15. You get what they have.

Double check with the rental company to make sure they allow vehicles on ferries--I know at least two don't. You can try to get a special exemption from a manager or you can simply try to sneak it on the ferry without them knowing (they probably won't know, anyway), although then you run the risk of having the ferry people not let you on (I have no idea if they enforce any such rules).

(YAY! Let it be known for the record that this post is the one which finally qualifies me for OMNI!!!)
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by jackal

As far as rentals squeezing on ferries: the smallest rental car I've seen is Enterprise's Chevy Aveo (which I wouldn't wish on anybody),
And even the Aveo is longer than 10 feet overall.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quokka
And even the Aveo is longer than 10 feet overall.
I forgot to mention checking the models' dimensions on a site like autos.msn.com, but I guess this takes care of that.

If the Aveo (a truly tiny car) is longer than 10 feet, what on earth is shorter than 10 feet? Maybe one of those Mercedes Benz-made Smart cars you see over in Europe (a tiny two-seater), but certainly nothing you'll see in Alaska other than a motorcycle.

Wow.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jackal

Hmm. Earlier this week, I felt the overriding need to go on a road trip (just get out of town--Anchorage is a big city, but if you don't live here, you don't understand how easy it is to get cabin fever) and drove to Glennallen (about a 3-hour drive). Rather than drive back, I went online to see if I should continue driving to Valdez and hop on the ferry, but unfortunately I would have had to wait until the next day as there was no sailing until then. However, I did notice that the expected arrival time in Whittier was 3pm, which meant that it would have been the fast ferry (M/V/ Kennecott, I believe).

But if you're saying it's the seven-hour trip, it looks like they must indeed send the Kennecott south during the summer and use an older, slower ferry (it's always been the E.L. Bartlett every time I've done that trip). Too bad, although the trip is beautiful even at half the speed. Yes, you'll see at least Columbia Glacier (and maybe others) as well as whales breaching, otter and sea lions sunning themselves, and tons of other wildlife.

The tunnel should be open for at least a short while after the ferry's arrival. Check tunnel.alaska.gov for schedules. An overnight in Seward is probably the best plan from there.

What's your tentative schedule look like? I may have missed it (I didn't see it here) or maybe you posted in another thread?

In any case, welcome to Alaska, and give me a holler when you get up here! (Check out my post over here for some more travel recommendations and restaurant recommendations here in Anchorage (for the best seafood you'll find anywhere).

Thanks for info. ^

Well the Ferry schedule looks like something from 1950's Scotland or Chile in clunkiness, and user unfriendliness, but I THINK it is saying June 3 it runs Valdez to Whittier .. can anyone else translate it?!

For a State Govt page it really is confusing and vague IMHO. And as you say we do NOT want to be stuck in Valdez facing the drive around the way we just came if we get it wrong!

https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/res...n=Get+Schedule
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Thanks for info. ^

Well the Ferry schedule looks like something from 1950's Scotland or Chile in clunkiness, and user unfriendliness, but I THINK it is saying June 3 it runs Valdez to Whittier .. can anyone else translate it?!

For a State Govt page it really is confusing and vague IMHO. And as you say we do NOT want to be stuck in Valdez facing the drive around the way we just came if we get it wrong!

https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/res...n=Get+Schedule
Oz,
Start from this page and put in your desired travel date. $274 for 1 car, 2 passengers, on June 3, departing Valdez at 1215. It will also give you alternative dates.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm! When I went to the ferry schedules while sitting at the gas station in Glennallen, I went to a different website that appears to be operated by the ferry system but isn't in the official state domain! Check this page for schedules in its slightly friendlier PDF format. Looks like the official State of Alaska page also has PDF schedules (that ugly calendar does look horrible--not sure where you found that) available here (you'd be looking at this particular one).

According to that, I show a 3:00pm arrival on the Chenega (the newest high-speed ferry). Much better!
Old May 15, 2007, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Jerry and Jackal. ^

Phew that website was about as fast and intuitive as dealing with Aeroflot!

Needed complete details on both pax .. full names, DOB, full mailing address, the whole 9 yards!

OK .. . now booked for the 12.15pm Chenega June 3 , Valdez-Whittier ... thanks Jerry, that's exactly what we needed.

Check-in Times

Failure to check-in by the appointed time could result in cancellation of your reservation.

Vehicle check-in:

(Number of hours prior to scheduled departure time.)
Bellingham and Prince Rupert: 3 hours;
Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, Skagway, Kodiak, Homer: 2 hours;
Petersburg: 1.5 hours;
Cross-Gulf trips to or from Whittier 3 hours.
All other ports: Vehicle check-in is 1 hour prior to departure.

Passengers traveling to and from Whittier, and especially those departing on the M/V Aurora from Whittier, are advised to check the Whittier Tunnel web site or call toll-free at 1-877-611-2586 for a schedule.

Not sure if I am reading it right, but are they talking 3 hours check-in for Valdez? Seems excessive? Or are "gulf Trips" something else and 1 hour is all we need?

We should get fairly close to some icebergs on this trip I guess?

Last edited by ozstamps; May 15, 2007 at 11:52 am
Old May 15, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So OK, who is up for dinner on Monday Jun 4 in or around ANC?

We have a flight that night on UA at 11.30pm to DEN .... then to BOS for 3 hours for lunch, then to SFO that afternoon, then the long 14½ non stop to SYD.

About 35 hours in planes and airports, then we both go right to work when that arrives at 6.30am into SYD!

Thank goodness for upgrades is all I can say.

I've met jerry a. laska a few times overseas in Europe over the years, and if he or any others are about we can hopefully catch up somewhere local.

We need to get the rental back about 10.15pm I guess.

Last time I was in Alaska we took a bus ride to that very end of the track Lake at Denali (Wonder Lake?) and half way through that lonnnng day, I find the ranger driving the bus was Seat 2A.

We were chatting about travel in one of the breaks and I thought "wow this guy sure knows a ton of stuff for a Denali Park driver!" Then the word "Flyertalk" got dropped into the conversation.

Amazingly small world! I'll check if he may possibly be about in early June.
Old May 15, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, for sure I'm up for a dinner! (Thanks for picking a day that I'm off--unless my schedule changes!) If you need some ideas for restaurants, check out my lengthy list here)

The three-hour check-in is for the cross-Gulf ferries--that is, the big ones that cross the open waters of the Gulf of Alaska between Haines and Whittier (they only run like once a month or something). The cross-Prince William Sound ones from Valdez to Whittier are separate and should only require the 1-hour check-in. (I was just in Whittier yesterday and saw the Chenega in port--it's not that big of a boat, so it shouldn't take very long to load.)

I was in Whittier to take the 26 Glacier Cruise. Wow! What an awesome cruise--we got within 1,000 feet of Surprise Glacier and saw it calve two big pieces off! To answer your question, you'll get close enough to Columbia Glacier, the largest one in PWS (about the size of the city of Los Angeles), but you won't get quite as close to it as we did (probably about a mile or two away, IIRC, although it's still an incredibly impressive site from that distance, as its face is several miles wide).
Old May 21, 2007, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Is dinner still a consideration in ANC on the 4th? I haven't got my bid schedule for that period yet but if it's on, I'll see what I can do. I'm only a five hour drive to the north. ^
Old May 22, 2007, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Is dinner still a consideration in ANC on the 4th? I haven't got my bid schedule for that period yet but if it's on, I'll see what I can do. I'm only a five hour drive to the north. ^
Yoo Hooo ... well I'll recognise YOU for starters after a day on the Wonder Lake Denali bus!

Hey, we will be there ... you guys pick a place us downunder yokels can pretty easily FIND, and we are set!

We'll be heading up from Seward direction that evening. No idea which side of town airport is at.

On that note, if anyone here has access to an AAA office, would really appreciate it if some AA maps and tourist stuff for ANC to Valdez and Seward areas might be dropped off or mailed to our ANC hotel.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is not so easy after 24 hours on planes, but doing it with no maps is harder!
Old May 22, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
I'd also be in to meeting up on the 4th.
Didn't eastwest mention Simon & Seafort's?(love their scratch margarita's)
Let me know what you decide.
Old May 22, 2007, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a AAA office at the intersection of Old Seward and Dimond. Unfortunately, I don't have a AAA membership, so I can't help, but if no one else can help, perhaps you can stop there. Google Map and Google Map driving directions from the airport, assuming you pick your rental car up there (one note about the directions: turn left from Dimond onto Old Seward and then make an immediate right into the strip mall parking lot--that's a lot easier than going through the light at Old Seward and trying to make a U turn; zoom in to see what I'm talking about).

Walmart is just across the street on the other side of the Dimond Center mall. That's the cheapest place to pick up The Milepost (without a Costco or Sam's Club membership). There's another one closer to Midtown, but if you're going to the AAA office, might as well get it here. The Milepost is the best book to have for traveling around the state. It tells you everything you'll come across on every road in Alaska.

As far as food: I'm up for Simon's. Just went to Orso Sunday night and Brewhouse yesterday for lunch, so I'll have to watch my wallet between now and then, but I love Simon's parmesan-asiago crusted halibut...

Last edited by jackal; May 22, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.