Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

car rented, hotels booked, need activity suggestions for DIY Alaska driving trip June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

car rented, hotels booked, need activity suggestions for DIY Alaska driving trip June

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I have the following plan set for an 8 day DIY driving trip in Alaska before boarding the Coral Princess for a southbound cruise.

June 11 arrive ANC @1:05 pm, drive to Seward stay with Allens Alaska Adventures in his cabin
June 12 Seward
June 13 Seward
June 14 Girdwood, Ski Inn
June 15 Glacier View, Matanuska Lodge B&B
June 16 Glacier View, Matanuska Lodge B&B
June 17 Palmer, Snowgoose Pond B&B
June 18 Anchorage, Residence Inn Midtown
June 19 Phillips Glacier cruise before boarding Coral Princess

I will stop at Costco or Walmart in Anchorage for food before heading to Seward. Activities I want to do are a Matanuska Glacier walk with NOVA or MICA, a float or low level rafting trip, an ATV tour, hiking, visit to Wildlife Conservation center, visit to sled dog farm. I need help with where and when to get all of this in.One day while in Seward we will go out for the day on Joe Allen's boat.

Can you give me day by day suggestions as to the best places for each of these activities from the schedule I have? We are both in our 60's but very fit and active.

Thanks for your help and suggestions on this itinerary.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:37 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Why did you decide on this itinerary? Usually the best way to formulate an itinerary is to figure out what there is of interest to do somewhere then figure out how long it would take one to do those activities. Just randomly putting together an itinerary without first thinking through what to do could easily give you too much or too little time somewhere.

Is your itinerary firm - ie are you open to changing something if need be? What are your interests in general and what specifically attracted you to these areas in the first place?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I did a lot of research before settling on this itinerary. I decided not to go to Denali NP with the masses. I just returned from a safari in Tanzania last September and know I would be disappointed in the amount and closeness of the animals. I had also read that visitors only see Mt. McKinley 50% of the time due to the weather. I wanted to spend more time on Kenai Peninsula and Matanuska Glacier area on this trip. I don't want to be driving 6-8 hours a day. I can always return to Alaska and visit Denali NP on another trip.

I cannot change anything as of now. All hotels are booked and some are prepaid. Car was rented way in advance and plane tickets are purchased. I plan to do a glacier walk, rafting, ATV trip while i the Glacier View area. I want to visit a dog sled kennel or Iditarod Headquarters. While staying in Seward for 3 nightsI plan to hike the Exit Glacier, do a boat trip with Joe Allen, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center. I want to fit in some hiking, possible in the Girdwood area.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:36 am

I think in principle your itinerary looks excellent. You aren't trying to cover too much ground in a week, although Seward, like Denali, is not free of crowds in the summer. I don't have personal experience with some of your interests, e.g. sled dogs, ATVs, and going out on the Matanuska Glacier, but getting out for a day on Resurrection Bay is a great thing to do to see marine mammals and birds, as well as the beautiful fjord. You can spend a day at Exit Glacier near Seward also. The minimal hike is short but you can hike up the mountainside to the side of where the glacier spills down, and the view at the top of the Harding ice field is spectacular, although I think June is likely too early to get all the way to the top. There are also many trailheads along the Seward Highway maintained by Chugach National Forest that are suitable for day hikes. Girdwood is also a hot spot for hiking. On the other side of Anchorage, while in the Matanuska Valley area, Independence Mine State Park and the associated Hatcher Pass is in a beautiful alpine area, and you might also consider Nancy Lake State Recreation Area if you like canoeing. It is possible to have a rented canoe delivered---see Summer Activities
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drseagrass
I think in principle your itinerary looks excellent. You aren't trying to cover too much ground in a week, although Seward, like Denali, is not free of crowds in the summer. I don't have personal experience with some of your interests, e.g. sled dogs, ATVs, and going out on the Matanuska Glacier, but getting out for a day on Resurrection Bay is a great thing to do to see marine mammals and birds, as well as the beautiful fjord. You can spend a day at Exit Glacier near Seward also. The minimal hike is short but you can hike up the mountainside to the side of where the glacier spills down, and the view at the top of the Harding ice field is spectacular, although I think June is likely too early to get all the way to the top. There are also many trailheads along the Seward Highway maintained by Chugach National Forest that are suitable for day hikes. Girdwood is also a hot spot for hiking. On the other side of Anchorage, while in the Matanuska Valley area, Independence Mine State Park and the associated Hatcher Pass is in a beautiful alpine area, and you might also consider Nancy Lake State Recreation Area if you like canoeing. It is possible to have a rented canoe delivered---see Summer Activities
I am planning on doing all of these suggestions. I had Exit Glacier hike on the list. I will wait until we get there and decide based on weather which one of the 3 days we are in the Seward area to visit there. Same thing with the small boat trip on Resurrection Bay. Joe Allen has us on the schedule for Weds. June 12.

I am trying to decide the order to do Matanuska Glacier hike and Lion Head rafting tours with NOVA. We can leave Girdwood and drive to Glacier View in time for an afternoon tour June 15. Then I would do the other one the morning of June 16. That afternoon we could drive to Independence Mine, Hatcher Pass, or an ATV tour in the area. As I am the worst canoer in the world we won't be doing that or kayaking activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.