FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - car rented, hotels booked, need activity suggestions for DIY Alaska driving trip June
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:16 pm
susiesan

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by drseagrass
I think in principle your itinerary looks excellent. You aren't trying to cover too much ground in a week, although Seward, like Denali, is not free of crowds in the summer. I don't have personal experience with some of your interests, e.g. sled dogs, ATVs, and going out on the Matanuska Glacier, but getting out for a day on Resurrection Bay is a great thing to do to see marine mammals and birds, as well as the beautiful fjord. You can spend a day at Exit Glacier near Seward also. The minimal hike is short but you can hike up the mountainside to the side of where the glacier spills down, and the view at the top of the Harding ice field is spectacular, although I think June is likely too early to get all the way to the top. There are also many trailheads along the Seward Highway maintained by Chugach National Forest that are suitable for day hikes. Girdwood is also a hot spot for hiking. On the other side of Anchorage, while in the Matanuska Valley area, Independence Mine State Park and the associated Hatcher Pass is in a beautiful alpine area, and you might also consider Nancy Lake State Recreation Area if you like canoeing. It is possible to have a rented canoe delivered---see Summer Activities
I am planning on doing all of these suggestions. I had Exit Glacier hike on the list. I will wait until we get there and decide based on weather which one of the 3 days we are in the Seward area to visit there. Same thing with the small boat trip on Resurrection Bay. Joe Allen has us on the schedule for Weds. June 12.

I am trying to decide the order to do Matanuska Glacier hike and Lion Head rafting tours with NOVA. We can leave Girdwood and drive to Glacier View in time for an afternoon tour June 15. Then I would do the other one the morning of June 16. That afternoon we could drive to Independence Mine, Hatcher Pass, or an ATV tour in the area. As I am the worst canoer in the world we won't be doing that or kayaking activity.